CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 11-17-2007, 09:52 PM   #1
Randy Nelson

Profile:
Randy's Winter Experiment

Background, I am a career firefighter/paramedic. 34 yo M 6 ft. 3 in. 205 lbs.

I was exposed to crossfit type training in 2003 and started doing it as my workout of choice in 2005. Even then I would cherry pick the workouts and focused on met con, calisthenic type workouts largely ignoring the strength and olympic moves. In 2005 I suffered a back injury (on duty, poor lifting tech.) Only to repeat it almost a year to the date later in 2006. (poor lifting form on light weight deadlifts.) A coulple of months later, armed with a new crossfit cert. a copy of "starting strength" and about $1,000 of personal crossfit equipment I started following the WOD. Progress this year has been good, seven months post injury I deadlifted 295 lbs.

Even with following the WOD I still found my strength lacking and noticed how it affected my performance in workouts like Fran (God, I hate Fran!) I kept carefull track of my workouts and over the year started developing a program to improve my strength and power while not loosing alot of met con.

The program would incorporate CrossFit and Starting Strength and would need to fit in a 4 day on, 2 day rest schedual. (I work 48 on, 96 off and find it hard to workout on duty) I plan to follow the program for at least 3 months or untill I stop seeing emprovment.

To be continued.....
Old 11-17-2007, 10:18 PM   #2
Randy Nelson

Profile:
Re: Randy's Winter Experiment

The program,
I set up a 4 day on 2 day rest to fit with my work schedual. It consists of 4 "cycles" and then repeats.

1- Back Squat 5x5
2- 21,15,9 reps- HSPU, ring dips, pushups
3- Deadlift 5x5
4- WOD

1- Back Squat 5x5
2- 21,15,9 reps- 95lb thrusters, pullups
3- Power Clean 5x5
4- WOD

1- Back Squat 5x5
2- 21,15,9 reps- 225lb deadlift, HSPU
3- 5 rounds max reps (not for time) 205lb bench press, pullups
4- WOD

1- Back Squats 5x5
2- 21,15,9 reps- 135lb power clean, ring dips
3- Press 1,1,1,1,1 Push Press 3,3,3,3,3 Push Jerk 5,5,5,5,5
4- WOD

I selected the above workouts based on where I needed the most work (squats) and what I hated the most (Fran, Bench) On day 4 I allow my self to cherry pick a recent WOD or pick one that I feel up to doing. Day 4 can also be used as an active rest day if needed.
Old 11-17-2007, 10:41 PM   #3
Randy Nelson

Profile:

Month 1 results-

Today I finished My first month (and decided to post this mess)
The most notable improvement ( as I was hoping) was back squats. Week 1 I struggled through 2 sets of 135 and 3 sets of 145. Week 4 I struggled through 5 sets at 175. I also managed a PR during "Elizabeth" at 10:47. I'm still subbing my deadlifts during "Diane" at 185lbs and I still hate Fran.

On day 4 I am pretty cashed out so I have been doing slow "Michaels" or active rest.

Goals- I think the improvement in squats has been largely due to getting comfortable under the bar but my goal is to hit my BW (205) 5x5. For the "girls" my goal is to get them all under 10:00 (un-modified Diane)

I am going to make every 5th week a "light" week, and post at the end of the 4 day.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:44 PM   #4
Randy Nelson

Profile:

Light week
Ok, so I'll post more than once a week just so I can find it in here. It's good to see how many people are posting now.

Today I did my Back squats 5x5. I did all 5 sets at 165. It will take a while to figure out how "light" I want to go on light week, because 165 felt heavy.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:55 PM   #5
Randy Nelson

Profile:

Cool, I just figured out how to get a pic to show up under my name. Baby steps, right?

About the pic- Liam and I up at Storm King Mt. (where 13 smokejumpers lost their lives about 13 years ago)
Old 11-21-2007, 05:37 PM   #6
Chris Brown

Profile:

Hi Randy,

Nice pic and nice job improving the back squats in your first month of the experiement. Its nice to see you're still doing CF. I hope you're still getting the KBs mixed in there too.

I'm about to open a new CrossFit gym up in Fort Collins so we'll have to get you an the crew up for a WOD. I'll email you when things are up and running, grand opening will be in January.

Chris Brown
www.rockymtnkb.com and now www.emerfit.com
Old 11-22-2007, 10:48 AM   #7
Randy Nelson

Profile:

Light week

JT- 21, 15, 9 reps
HSPU
Ring dips
Pushups
12:28 (PR)

I had some good music cranked and went after it like a fat kid after a cupcake. I got the 21 round done and remembered that it was a light week and backed off for the 15 round, which saved me because I hit the wall, for the 9 round I checked the time and decided to go for it.

Program changes-
by design I have overhead work every week, but wk-4, day-3 is just too much. I was still feeling it today.
New wk-4, day-3; Press 3,3,3,3,3 Push Press 5,5,5,5,5 (Droping jerks)

I also want to re-think week 2 my lower back didn't like that combo of squats, Fran, power cleans. Last month on my last set of cleans I missed a pull and insted of dropping the weight I caught it at waist level, Causing a small spasm in my lower back.(fine after my rest days) I'll try week two as Rx but take more time with the cleans so I know my form is better, and see how it feels.
Old 11-23-2007, 12:14 PM   #8
Randy Nelson

Profile:

Light week

Deadlift 5x5
225 x 5 sets
Felt like a good light week weight.

Oh by the way if any one out there is reading this, please feel free with constructive suggestions. "learn to tpye" and "just lift more" won't do, I already know that.

Last edited by Randy Nelson; 11-23-2007 at 12:22 PM..
Old 11-23-2007, 09:21 PM   #9
Anthony Militello

Profile:

Randy, everything looks awsome. Only thing I would throw into the mix is I see alot of 5x5, try adding in more, rep templates.

Good mixture of mod. to low reps in there usually worked best for me when I wanted good SOLID overall gains in strength! Just my .02! GOOD LUCK!
Old 11-24-2007, 12:05 PM   #10
Randy Nelson

Profile:

light week

3 Rounds for time:
spin bike 1 mile
45lb RDL x 50
50 sit ups
19:51

"Michael" and variants like this one are a favorite 4th day workout.

Anthony, thanks for the feedback, after a couple of months I should have a better idea for what kind of poundage I should be able to lift. Also I was thinking of useing different rep schemes for plateau busting.