CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-04-2013, 07:30 AM   #801
Adam Carlson

Profile:
Re: Gslp

Quick question, although it may have been asked before: how should I incorporate power cleans in the GSLP? I know JP suggested using them as a warm up for deadliest; would that be too taxing as the weight gets heavier? Where would the best place to put them be?
Old 05-04-2013, 11:00 AM   #802
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Using them as warmup for deadlifts is fine and won't be too taxing. Even when you start gaining on your power cleans they won't be any more than about 50-60% of your deadlift work set weight. Just do something like one rep at 85% of your 1RM every minute on the minute for 8-10 minutes, or work up to a few heavy singles or doubles each day.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:01 AM   #803
PaulEwing

Profile:

I always warmed up with cleans before deadlifting but I generally kept them light. I'm not sure if that would be the best time to do them at max effort. Hopefully someone else has more experience with this.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:51 AM   #804
Adam Shreim

Profile:

I always did 6-10 reps of EMOM at 85-95% of my power clean 1RM before Deadlifts. Then I would just warm-up my Deadlift 225x3, 275x3, 315x2 and hit my Deadlift 5+ at whatever weight it was at.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:25 PM   #805
Jay Gatsby

Profile:

I have been doing GSLP since early March and seen some nice gains. Done one reset on bench and another on LBBS when I realized my form wasn't up to par as the weight was starting to get heavier.

I'm pretty much following the program straight out of the book, including chin-ups, curls (albeit somewhat inconsistently), and some basic ab work, mostly involving sit-ups and med-ball tosses.

I'm looking for another couple of ab exercises that might be well supplemented to the GSLP program to increase my core strength.

Let me know if have any suggestions, thanks!
Old 05-15-2013, 10:04 PM   #806
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Anything in L.

Oh yeah, Front Squats.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:02 AM   #807
Jayme Gruber

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Gatsby View Post
I have been doing GSLP since early March and seen some nice gains. Done one reset on bench and another on LBBS when I realized my form wasn't up to par as the weight was starting to get heavier.

I'm pretty much following the program straight out of the book, including chin-ups, curls (albeit somewhat inconsistently), and some basic ab work, mostly involving sit-ups and med-ball tosses.

I'm looking for another couple of ab exercises that might be well supplemented to the GSLP program to increase my core strength.

Let me know if have any suggestions, thanks!
GHD, TTB, KTE, Ab wheel, russian twists holding a weight. Those are the ones I sprinkle in.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:11 AM   #808
Jeff Enge

Profile:

All the above are very good assistance exercise.

Also have to remember that all of your "big lifts" involve a great deal of stability, and this comes from your abs. So you are getting a good ab workout even if you aren't isolating them!

But, I just have to say, if your name really is "Jay Gatsby," I'm not sure if that is a blessing or a curse!
Old 05-17-2013, 02:35 AM   #809
Boris Roman

Profile:

Not to forget that overhead squats will give you a good amount of core stability aka abs! I use them as warm up sets on my backsquat days.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:13 AM   #810
Jamie Carter

Profile:

I started reading through this thread and I skipped to the end only to find people are still posting! Very glad I found this thread.

I'm starting a variation of this program tonight. It's called Phrak's Greyskull LP Variant and can be seen here:

http://pastebin.com/VTbYncHD

Curls are replaced with rows 3x5 and alternate with chinups the same way bench is rotated with OHP.

Could anyone give me some general tips that have been discussed previously in this thread?

If I were to add an assistance exercise e.g. Dips would I do them every workout? I'm planning on doing hanging leg raises and planks 2 times a week.

Would I use the same warm up for lifts as Starting Strength?

Looking forward to your replies