CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-30-2013, 12:17 PM   #721
Chad Smith

Profile:
Re: Gslp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
May be a matter of how your body is built, may be a mobility issue. Or a combination of both.
I'm working on hip and ankle mobility every day. I'm also looking into getting some shoes with a slightly raised heel to help hit depth a bit easier.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:57 PM   #722
Dan Thomas

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Bester View Post
in addition to working higher repetitions on the DB rows (have been doing 3 heavy sets so far, but in the lower rep range so maybe doing them in a higher range might be beneficial with regards to building grip).
Kroc rows... here (wfs)
Old 03-30-2013, 10:36 PM   #723
Alex Habib

Profile:

Just out of curiosity, would this "template" be viable:

Monday:
-Shoulder Press
-Chest Press
-Squats
-Accessory work

Tuesday:
-Short metcon

Wed:
-Olympic lifting at 50-60% max (mainly to maintain/practice form)
-Deadlift
- Accessory work

Thursday:
- Metcon

Friday:
-Shoulder Press
-Chest Press
-Squats
-Accessory work

Sat:
-Rest

Sunday:
-Rest

In other words, combining a shoulder and chest to day A, and adding relatively light Olympic lifting to B day. I want to keep the linear progression on the main lifts, but still be proficient in Olympic lifting form as well. Thoughts?
Old 03-31-2013, 05:26 AM   #724
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Why dont you want to press on the deadlift day? The Olympic lifting isnt going to be all that taxing at 50-60% and honestly its not going to really help you improve all that much to do it at that low intensity and frequency unless you are a rank beginner. The way I had my template set up was a three day a week format switching off snatch and c&j every lift day much like the pressing movements.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:07 AM   #725
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

It's not going to be helpful to bench and press on the same day, and as you start getting heavier on your squats you'll want to take Thursday as a rest day since you're squatting on Friday. Same deal with the Tuesday metcon you've got in there...it's not going to help your deadlifts on Wednesday.

I would recommend doing the program as written and alternating bench and press on an A/B/A then B/A/B schedule for M/W/F. As for conditioning, there's nothing wrong with doing it after lifting so you can keep Tu/Th as rest days.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:02 PM   #726
Adam Shreim

Profile:

I just kept the regular format except on Monday I do Snatch, Wednesday I do Power Clean/Power Snatch (to work on the pull) and on Friday I do full Clean and Jerks. They are not that taxing. Do them first as a good warm-up.
Old 03-31-2013, 06:20 PM   #727
Alex Habib

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Enge View Post
Why dont you want to press on the deadlift day? The Olympic lifting isnt going to be all that taxing at 50-60% and honestly its not going to really help you improve all that much to do it at that low intensity and frequency unless you are a rank beginner. The way I had my template set up was a three day a week format switching off snatch and c&j every lift day much like the pressing movements.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
It's not going to be helpful to bench and press on the same day, and as you start getting heavier on your squats you'll want to take Thursday as a rest day since you're squatting on Friday. Same deal with the Tuesday metcon you've got in there...it's not going to help your deadlifts on Wednesday.

I would recommend doing the program as written and alternating bench and press on an A/B/A then B/A/B schedule for M/W/F. As for conditioning, there's nothing wrong with doing it after lifting so you can keep Tu/Th as rest days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Shreim View Post
I just kept the regular format except on Monday I do Snatch, Wednesday I do Power Clean/Power Snatch (to work on the pull) and on Friday I do full Clean and Jerks. They are not that taxing. Do them first as a good warm-up.
Looks like I'll keep the regular format then. I'm assuming I should stick with these core lifts and get my #s up before I worry about the Olympic lifts? They are relatively low.
Old 03-31-2013, 06:28 PM   #728
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Habib View Post
Looks like I'll keep the regular format then. I'm assuming I should stick with these core lifts and get my #s up before I worry about the Olympic lifts? They are relatively low.
Its perfectally acceptable to do oly lifting with gslp. Like I said, they are low stress compared to your core lifts. Do them before you get to the big lifts and you can work technique as well as warm yourself up a little more.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:25 PM   #729
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Habib View Post
You don't need to ditch the Olympic lifting--just do cleans or snatches as "warmups" on your deadlift days and maybe one of your squat days as well. No need to stick to 50-60% efforts--you can work up to a few heavy singles or doubles as long as your form is decent.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:22 AM   #730
Jayme Gruber

Profile:

So, if the Open has taught me anything it's that I definitely need to get stronger, specifically my upper body. 13.1 killed me, otherwise I'm pretty happy with my results.

I'm going to take the next three months or so to focus on strength and chill out on the WODs for a while. Probably only 1 or 2 a week. Going to try to go for short runs first thing in the morning (or do the burpee challenge) and go swimming 1 day a week on the weekends.

FM pullups are hard for me to do spending 9 hours in an office, but I can do pushups and squeeze in pullups before/after work and at the gym.

If I'm doing the standard GSLP M/W/F and also cycle weighted chins/dips on those days, does it matter which I do in relation to bench/press days and when to do them?

I also REALLY need to work my Olympic lifts, specifically the snatch. Should I devote a day (or days) during the week to work it, or can it be done M/W/F w GSLP? That seems like too much.