CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 09-21-2007, 03:51 AM   #1
James Forbes

Profile:
Gym Equipment for work place gym

I am currently writing a proposal to get new equipment in the gym at work (Police Department). Does anyone know of any good articles or papers that I could use as a source. I have a few already. The layout of the proposal will contain the following--I think.

1. Define the needs of an officer to be in exceptional physical shape. I will be citing different standards from across the nation and specifically Arizona standards. I want to do more than cite these standards, as they are usually subpar. I want to cite the need for fitness based on the realities officers face.

2. Using the above information, explain that our current gym and equipment is quite outdated and contains many near useless machines/equipment. The proposal needs to make it clear that the current gym is insufficient in regards to allowing officers to prepare for reality.

3. Create a list of needed equipment with pricing. I will of course have to list a few machines that others feel comfortable with to appease them (i.e. eliptical and smith machine).

I have the backing of my superiors and peers, but i need to get the funding for our admin. Basically, I have to have it make sense to a non-crossfit community using non-crossfit wording. This will be going to a group of spend-30-minutes-on-the-stair-climber-3-days-a-week crowd.

Any suggestions, comment? I will take all the help and advice I can get.
Old 09-21-2007, 05:29 AM   #2
Ben Kaminski

Profile:
Re: Gym Equipment for work place gym

My advice is to start here: Check out all of the CFJ articles on outfitting a home/garage gym cheaply. You don't need all of the equipment CrossFit uses in a month, but some dumbbells and a place to do pullups is a great place to start.

Also, think about how many people will use it, what their beginning fitness levels will be, and how can they get the most out of it (without having someone coaching them).

It wouldn't help you if you got all that stuff, and no one used it because they didn't know what to do, and then it got replaced with machines.

Hope this helps!
Old 09-21-2007, 06:48 AM   #3
Jon Gilson

Profile:

James,

I'd recommend contacting John Hoffner via Private Message. He did a bang-up job doing precisely what you're describing, albeit in the context of the USMC. He may be willing to share his argument. You will find a lot of carryover from his rationale to the one you seek.

Also, I'm more than happy to help you put together a package and quote. I've outfitted everyone from a 5-man unit to a four-station fire department to a Battalion of Marines. You'll find samples of these equipment packages on my website at http://againfaster.squarespace.com/custom-examples/ (WFS).

If you'd like to discuss this further, you can contact me directly at jon@againfaster.com. I can help you produce your argument, and I have several documents that you could use as resources right off the bat. No need to reinvent the wheel!

Best,

Jon

Last edited by Jon Gilson; 09-21-2007 at 06:50 AM.. Reason: eliminating and getting rid of redundancy
Old 09-22-2007, 01:43 PM   #4
John Hoffner

Profile:

Thanks for the plug Jon, but I would hardly call my case a success story just yet.
My aim was to outfit a space where groups of Marines from my Battalion could go individually but more likely in teams anywhere from 4 to 12 to execute CF style workouts. Despite what plans Jon mentions, I have yet to actually get the space, or the gear, but the groundwork is laid and we have a small presentation planned for the 5th of Oct for the leadership of the HQ and two companies from CO to Squad leader levels. My intent is to lead them to the kool-aid, not yet sure how many more I can get to take the first sip. I've taken incremental steps, teaching, planting seeds here and there. My true feelings of success come when I lead my company, or groups of 1-2 through a Cindy, Kelly or Fran and some of them appear 'get it'.
As the son and brother of Pennsylvania police officers, I would be happy to share my proposal with you, please send a PM with an e-mail and I send it to you from work on Monday.
Semper Fi,
John
Old 09-24-2007, 01:35 PM   #5
Dan Ensing

Profile:

Here's an article from CFJ (w/f safe) regarding police training.

Dan

http://www.crossfit.com/journal/libr...etng_Mar03.pdf
Old 09-25-2007, 05:10 AM   #6
Jason Blais

Profile:

James -

Please let us know how it works out.

I am in the process of putting together something similiar for a funny shaped building in the Washington DC area.

Believe it or not the gym there has little to nothing in the way of CF equipment.

I would love to hear how it goes for you and learn from your experiences. I would also be willing to collaberate on a project.

If you are interested please PM me.

Thanks
Old 09-27-2007, 05:48 PM   #7
James Forbes

Profile:

Thanks All! I just found out we have a grant writer at work, so I may tap into his skills as well. I will let everyone know how it goes when I find out.