CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 10-05-2005, 05:56 PM   #1
Corinne Thieleman

Profile:
So today I decided maybe I should try a full dip between bars. I set up my trusty car axles on cement blocks and tried to do a dip between them, with my feet on the floor. I lack flexibility in my right wrist due to 20-year-old surgery scars and arthritis; and this movement KILLED that wrist. I only have about 45 backward flex in that wrist. Has anyone else had a problem like this and will I ever be able to do 'real' dips? I am extremely weak still and don't think I could dip my 215# right now, but I am getting noticeably stronger and someday in the future would really like to be able to do a muscleup.

Some days I try to flex the wrist beyond it's capabilities and I do some flat palm pushups but I have noticed that I am unable to fully straighten that arm when doing so (due to the lack of flex). I guess my real question is, after 20 years is it too late to regain flexibility in that wrist? Is the surgical arthritis going to be too far advanced? I suppose I should see a doctor but as yet I do not have health insurance and cannot afford such a thing. Apologies for the long post and thank you for any advice/insight.
Old 10-06-2005, 06:55 AM   #2
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:
Not personally but I knew a big strong guy with a completely fused wrist (metal plate) thus no backward movement and almost no rotation. He could do fist pushups and regular bar dips.

I am no expert, but I see no reason why in the future you could not work up to it.

When I do dips I do not flex my wrist I try to keep it locked and as straight as possible.
Old 10-10-2005, 05:46 AM   #3
Don Pentz

Profile:  
I suffer from the same problem with my wrist. Post surgery my ROM was terrible, and most exercises that stressed my wrist had to be avoided. Over time ive slowly strenghtened and improved ROM but still have a lot of work to do. For now i do pushups on my knuckles, and rise off the floor with my knuckles or fingers. For sports I use a basic wrist brace just as a precaution if my hand gets pushed back beyond the 45. Ive learned to make adjustments and live with it, but i still hope to regain complete use of my wrist. Good Luck with your ROM.