CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 02-05-2010, 11:29 AM   #1
Brian Gregory

Profile:
Training for sectionals - 3 weeks away!

I am signed up for sectionals and they are taking place Feb 27-28. Does anyone have any advice on programming for the next 3 weeks. I mostly do WODs at home and work and on occasion with a co worker.

I am looking for advice on how many multiple WOD days I should be doing on a 3 on 1 off schedule. I have been following mainsite for about 6 weeks and just adding in ME lifts and weaknesses to the WODs.

Also looking for advice on resting before the sectionals.

I am planning on stepping up the intensity, but I don't want to over do it, to where I am not at my best for sectionals.

Thanks, Brian.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:48 AM   #2
Jason David

Profile:
Re: Training for sectionals - 3 weeks away!

I wouldn't add a bunch of stuff...You aren't going to get that much 'fitter' the 3 weeks leading up to the sectionals. I would just concentrate on rest and recovery. Maybe add in 1 or 2 '2 a days' just to test your nutrition/recovery.

Also,
I wouldn't take a full rest week or anything leading up to the competition. Maybe one day off and a light day (active rest.)

Eat well...

That's what I'm doing anyway. Everybody's different and may think I'm nuts not adding a bunch of volume - But I did a 'tune-up' and a 2 a day about a month ago.

I'm ready...
Old 02-05-2010, 12:08 PM   #3
Michael Ingley

Profile:

make sure you're doing strength work and work capacity every workout
Old 02-05-2010, 12:18 PM   #4
Brian Gregory

Profile:

Thanks for the replies, I do strength work quite regularly in addition to the WOD and have done 2 a days multiple times in the past month. I feel prepared and have definitely been listening to my body as far as rest/recovery. I had originally planned to do the one day off and a light day just before competition. So I guess I will stick with that idea.

This will be my first competition and I guess I'm wondering how prepared I'll be for a possible 6 WOD sectional, when only doing occassional 2 a days and a strength WOD.

Any more insight from previous competitors?
Old 02-05-2010, 01:09 PM   #5
Brian Gregory

Profile:

I guess I was also looking for guidelines on how to "peak" for a competition.

I recently took one week off at end of 2009 and have been going hard since. Sometimes 4 on 1 off, 3 on 1 off mostly though. I do take 2 days rest if I need it. Currently I'm taking a 3 day back off cycle (not full intensity) and plan on hitting it hard once again till sectionals.

Ideas?
Old 02-05-2010, 01:45 PM   #6
Sheldon Danley

Profile:

If there are one or two things that you know you really suck at...I would mix them in as much as possible. You can definitely see an improvement in a few weeks. I'm talking skill-related things like double-unders, muscle-ups, etc. Things that will get better with that mind-muscle memory from repetition.

I agree with one of the other posts about testing your eating/drinking habits on competition day. If you can, schedule a 2 or 3-a-day Saturday or Sunday (followed by at least a day, possibly 2 of rest) and see how your appetite and thirst respond. Eat things that you can easily pack for the Sectional and if anything doesn't sit well, you know not to go that route on game day. Keep in mind that not everyone is out there doing 3 or 4 WODs a day...the Sectional is a day for you to test your training, you shouldn't be training every day like it's a test. Just like marathon training...how many marathons would you run in preparation for it? Probably none at all.

I did a charity CF event (3 WODs in one day) in the Fall and speaking from experience, taking an entire week off may not be the best idea. After a few days with no lifting or working out I literally start to feel weaker and less confident (however, the same might not go for everyone). Also, whether you get in a 2 or 3-a-day or not, nothing can replicate the nerves/anxiety that come along with your first CF competition. Pack extra water because those nerves will make your mouth dry and your bladder small.
Old 02-06-2010, 04:59 PM   #7
Stephen Flamm

Profile:

Definitely test out at least one day with at least two WODs, preferably three. Make them a good mix of movements, heavy, and short duration, with about 3 hours in between. If you've never performed three high-intensity WODs in a single day, don't go 100% on any of them; if you do, you'll be beat up for a while. For a good idea of multi-WOD days, either search for last year's Regional WODs, or take a look at OPT's site at www.optimumperformancetraining.blogspot.com (WFS) and look through the recent programming he's laid out for the "Febbers" - these are designed for athletes peeking for competition this month.

A week out, focus on very high-intensity, very short duration workouts. Sleep and eat well. Good luck.