CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 08-25-2011, 08:11 AM   #1
Frances Laughs

Profile:
Type 1 Diabetic Females

What to eat for best results and even sugar levels? I would like to hear from other Type 1 Diabetic Females.

Typically I wake 7:30/8am, eat, CrossFit at 10am, eat again and start my day; either work or errands. My morning sugars usually run around 100 give or take 20mg/dl. If above 90 I correct down to 70, eat breakfast and bolus accordingly. But I have to plan for a workout in 2 hours (active insulin time 3 hours). I wear a continuous glucose monitor (Dexcom) so I see where my sugars are and where they are going all the time. i would like to stay level, no spikes and no crashes during workout. Suggestions for breakfast?

Post workout I see my sugars rise, NOT FALL. I feel this is from the hormones released during intense physical activity (CF). I also want to refuel post workout. I correct for any rise in sugar and eat about 15-30 grams carbs and about 20-30 grams protein and bolus for carbs. This works well for me until 2-3 hours after eating I see my sugar going up, I believe it is from the protein. Anyone else have this happen? How do you bolus (pump) for this rise from the protein? Or is it not from the protein and something else?

Can you share any of your other experiences as a diabetic athlete?
Old 08-25-2011, 08:46 AM   #2
Rebecca Roth

Profile:
Re: Type 1 Diabetic Females

Here you go - tinyurl.com/3km4qyn
Old 08-25-2011, 09:29 PM   #3
Frances Laughs

Profile:

Great info but I dont see any recommendations for how to control the rise in blood glucose from protein. My sugar is perfect 2 hours after eating a low carb (usually 15 grms carbs, berries or an apple) plus protein (meat, chicken, fish, or eggs) then starts to very slowly rise. I bolus to bring it down but it is stubborn. Like I mentioned before this doesnt happen every time so Im a little afraid to dose before it happens in case it doesnt happen.

Before paleo I was vegetarian and did not consume much protein at all. Now that I am eating meats etc I see this happening and with wearing the cgm I see my sugar every 5 minutes so I can track the rise and fall very closely.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:20 AM   #4
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

AIS Sports Nutrition Factsheet - Diabetes and Sports Nutrition.

Management of Competitive Athletes With Diabetes.

ACSM and ADA Joint Position Statement: Exercise and Type 2 Diabetes.

*All links wfs*
Old 08-30-2011, 05:44 AM   #5
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Type 1 Diabetes and Vigorous Exercise: Applications of Exercise Physiology to Patient Management. (wfs)
Old 09-01-2011, 10:18 PM   #6
Scott Alexander

Profile:

Frances,

So, I'm not a diabetic female or an MD, but I do know quite a bit about type 1 diabetes. This is not medical advice, but hopefully it might help.

If you are using a Dexcom, I'd bet you are using a pump. In that case, instead of giving yourself a bolus when you are going high, use a temp basal or a square-wave bolus. I would suggest temp basal if you find you aren't going very high (130-ish), or square-wave if you are going higher than that. Either one will give you insulin to minimize your rise over a longer period of time and it'll let you cancel it if you aren't seeing the rise you'd expect. Plus, the fact that you are having a stubborn, steady (I'm assuming) rise tells me that it isn't food-related. In that case, I would imagine that a normal bolus could lead to poor matching between the active insulin and the rise in BG, whereas the temp basal or square-wave could work well.

I'm not sure who you are seeing for treating your diabetes, but I would talk to them about this rise in your BG several hours after eating. I've heard it referred to as the Chinese Food Effect before and while I can't do an explanation justice in a few quick sentences, I can say that it's not terribly uncommon. It is more common after bigger (volume-wise, not necessarily caloric) meals. Paleo typically means you are eating larger volumes of food, which could be the culprit here. Your endo should be able to give you a good explanation of it to you and how to handle it. Usually a dual-wave bolus does the trick, but let him guide you on that.

One last thing, be sure to talk to your endo about this stuff. Managing diabetes and understanding the hormonal systems of the body is what they do. If you are eating right and being responsive to what your BG is doing, you should be able to avoid the highs and lows typically associated with diabetes. Get their advice on whether there is anything you can do to make sure you stay in range post-exercise. As I'm sure you've noticed, the length and relative intensity of exercise can affect what happens to your glucose levels (shorter, more intense stuff makes most people rise afterwards. Longer, endurance-type exercise can make you go low if you've exhausted your muscular glycogen stores.) Information on that stuff should be available in the endo's office. If you aren't getting that type of information, consider finding another one to go to. Milwaukee is big enough that you can find someone who can get you what you need. Also, consider checking out the forums on site like diabeticrockstar.com to see if anyone over there has brought this discussion point up. The site is geared towards teens, but occassionally they have good posting that are relevant for us post-high school folks...

Again, I would talk to your endo before making any changes in how you treat your diabetes. Not having a good sense of how your diabetes affects you, I'm only able to give you general thoughts on what I've seen and heard. Good luck with the Crossfit.

I hope this info helps.

Scott
Old 09-11-2011, 03:18 PM   #7
Natalie L. Cox

Profile:

Hi Frances,
I have type one also, and see a rise from about 100 to 250 ish after Crossfit. I have been correcting after the liver glycogen dump because I am scared to take a shot and have it working, then that be the one time it doesn't rise like expected. Somebody mentioned the "chinese restaurant effect" and this happens to me. It doesn't matter if there were carbs or excess protein in a meal, if the volume of food is high, my blood sugar goes up 4+ hours later. I take shots(not pump), but mimick a square bolus to overcome this rise. Basically, I'm taking 2 shots about 3 hours apart to correct sugars after larger than normal meals... Mostly it works, sometimes not, but thats the way it rolls with type one as you know. Also, I have noticed if I eat unclean meals that include chemicals and/or preservatives (even if low carb), my blood sugars are higher. Just something to consider.