CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 04-20-2011, 07:11 AM   #1
Adam Castagno

Profile:
Using a treadmill for running during WOD

Hey,

I was just curious as to if any of you out there use a treadmill when completing your WOD that requires running? I am about 3 wks into CF now, and have come across a few METCON's that require running intervals... some of which require running so freq for short distances that when setting up the treadmill each time can take too much time.

This am I am going to do the WOD from 4/18/11 which req 100m runs sandwiched btw other exercises... any tips/hints on how to speed up the time to get to a fast pace right away as well as have the distance already programmed, I tried to set it up the last time right after each run session however still to even just get the speed up took too much time I felt.
If I had a track or something close by I would just run that, however where my gym is located to run outside might make matters even slower.
Hope this is clear enough of a question for you all to help with. Thanks.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:09 PM   #2
Travis Loest

Profile:
Re: Using a treadmill for running during WOD

don't turn off the treadmill, and keep an eye on it, some of them will shut themselves off.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:21 PM   #3
Keith Martin

Profile:

I used to do what Travis suggested. Just take note of the distance & time when you get off (and on).

It make add about 2 seconds to whatever you are doing but that's better than 7-10 seconds starting the TM to get up to speed.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:41 PM   #4
Adam Castagno

Profile:

Ya know I was thinking of doing this however I was afraid that being so tired/my math (which I already am awful at) would just screw me up too much. I'll try this approach next time.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:04 PM   #5
Ben Sparks

Profile:

It would be tough to use it for 100's. I do use mine for 400's, 800's, and 1-miles when they come up. I find if I leave it on 1.5-2% incline it speeds up faster, probably because I'm helping the belt speed up by pushing it downhill, rather than landing flat and slowing it down.

So I ramp it up to 4.5mph, which is a speed I can easily jump onto while its running, from standing on the sides. Then I jump on, hit the stopwatch, mash in the speed I want to run (for WODs, I'm usually around 7.5 to 8.5mph depending on how far it calls for) and start watching the distance readout. When I hit my target distance, I jump off, quickly dial it back down to 4.5 and leave it running while I do the next stage of the WOD.

Repeat steps for each round. You do have to be able to quickly add .25 mile to whatever the readout says, if you're getting on for 400's, because the distance will keep going even when you're not on it. But its not that bad. And it does take most of the ramp-up time out of it. It takes about 3 times as long for the treadmill to go from 0-4.5 as it does from 4.5-8. Good luck