CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 12-22-2012, 12:36 PM   #1
George Nesrallah

Profile:
Garage gym in cold weather?

Hi all. Just wondering, for those of you who have a garage gym but also have to deal with freezing cold temperatures, what do you do to make your garage warm enough?

Thanks
Old 12-22-2012, 02:47 PM   #2
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:
Re: Garage gym in cold weather?

This probably doesn't compare to your temperatures, but even here in Central Texas it can occasionally get down to the mid-upper 20's. That's cold for us, so....

Imperative is a good long warmup, perhaps even longer than whatever workout you're planning. Dress in layers that you can easily remove as your body temperature increases. Try to keep moving more or less constantly throughout.

Once that's done, you may very well find that you can comfortably workout in shorts and a t-shirt. Once done, layer back up.

Oh, and make sure of course that the garage is well sealed/insulated. You don't want to replace the heat that you have generated with cold air from outside.

- Mark
Old 12-22-2012, 05:07 PM   #3
Matthew Vesey

Profile:

Right now it is about -22c. I have an Insulated Garage Door, a Baseboard heating system and a ceiling mounter IR heater. It is nice and warm in my gym. If you want an idea, take a look at my garage gym page on this board. I have some info on the heaters on one of the pages.

(WFS): http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=57552

**EDIT**: That is funny I just saw that you are in Ottawa as well. If you would like you can swing by my gym and take a look at the heaters/garage door to get an idea. My door is always open to fellow CrossFitters.
Age:24, Height: 5'10, Weight: 180, 5km Row: 17:15.3, 500m Row:1:23.6, BS: 440, DL:540, Press: 205:My Log(WFS)
Old 12-22-2012, 06:53 PM   #4
Jason A Smith

Profile:

I heat my garage, and I have worked out through the winter up to -30C so it can be done. Right now I have a 5KW unit heater. I really should have two though, but I can usually get it warm enough within an hour of turning it on to make it ok. Once I start I warm up pretty quickly.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:16 PM   #5
Tim Trujillo

Profile:

We train in Colorado and see temps as low as -10F, the garage usually stays about 15-20 warmer than outside. No heater, and no insulation in the doors. I have 800 square feet to warm, so I have never even tried. I have a standing patio heater, but have yet to turn it on. I can honestly say that we have not missed a workout in two years due to cold. Dress in layers grab a wool cap and mechanic gloves and 3,2,1 GO!!! Good luck to you and go visit that bad *** gym in your city. I wish I could!!
Old 12-22-2012, 09:11 PM   #6
Steve Kane

Profile:

WFS http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...atalogId=10053

I just bought one of these. It was about 20 degrees today and it did pretty well, ended up being in shorts and tshirts by the end of the workout. I keep telling people I bought it for the wife....
Old 12-23-2012, 12:38 AM   #7
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Nesrallah View Post
Hi all. Just wondering, for those of you who have a garage gym but also have to deal with freezing cold temperatures, what do you do to make your garage warm enough?

Thanks
Row faster.
Old 12-23-2012, 03:08 AM   #8
Marshall Flagg

Profile:

We do our thing in an uninsulated garage. It gets cold. Generally not single digit cold but it is cold. We use a couple parabolic heater things from Costco. They are good for standing in front of but don't really heat the space.

I dress warm and shed layers to workout. Once you get going the cold is not noticeable. I finish whatever workout, let off steam then bundle up again.

Hit up Lumberjack today. Being cold never crossed my mind.

The less motivated people tend to not show up when it is really cold.

MF
Old 12-23-2012, 02:41 PM   #9
Joe Flick

Profile:

I train in an uninsulated detached garage in Wisconsin. I have a little torpedo heater that I point towards the rack to take the edge off, but so far have only used it during my warmup, and then i shut it off. Layers, hat, and a good warmup seems to get it done.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:19 PM   #10
Tim Trujillo

Profile:

I borrowed my neighbors standing patio heater for A party we just had and decided to try it in the garage tonight. My garage is 800 square feet with 10' ceilings and that monster brought it from 42 to 61 in A half hour. I am impressed!!!

http://m.lowes.com/product?langId=-1...42&view=detail

Wfs

Ooh yeah, I'm not a sissy in the cold. I only had tonight to use it, so I did. It was 20 outside

Last edited by Tim Trujillo; 12-26-2012 at 11:23 PM..