CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 01-29-2008, 12:30 PM   #1
Howard Wilcox

Profile:
Who has used a safety squat bar?

Hello folks,

I'm looking for some experience using the safety squat bar.

This is what it looks like:

http://www.flexcart.com/members/elit...cid=212&pid=10

W/F/S

The claim is that because it wants to pitch you forward you get lots of lower and upper back stimulation. Similarly, your shoulders get a rest, though I'm not large enough for this to be an issue in my back squat (as compared to monster powerlifters).

There's a link to a Dave Tate article detailing his first use of the thing and his humbling experience...and then how it helped add about 200lbs to his squat (somewhere over 900lbs).

What do y'all think?

howard
Old 01-29-2008, 01:56 PM   #2
Robert Pagliaro

Profile:
Re: Who has used a safety squat bar?

I have one in my gym (I bought mine from Sorinex) and I really like it for heavy squats. Definitely more comfortable than just an OLY bar, but more importantly is where the orientation of the loaded plates. Once you are in it the weight is more centered and lowered with a bit less spinal compression. My experience is a greater load on the quads and ease on the low back.

That said, I still do heavy squats with the OLY bar as well with a manta ray. Both offer variance in the lift and variety is the key.

What is your purpose for wanting one? Comfort - heavier loads?

As stated above I really like it, but I think it may be a nice to have as opposed to a need to have. Especially, if you are lacking other equipment - for example you can get a York Glute Ham for not much more and get far better value for money and use efficiency.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:24 PM   #3
Howard Wilcox

Profile:
Re: Who has used a safety squat bar?

Hey Robert,

From what I read it seems to hit both the lower and upper back hard thus allowing higher squat poundages (the Tate article says that most people tend to lose squats forward and so better lower/upper back will help prevent that).

I would really like a reverse-hyper, especially due to both its therapeutic and strengthening effects...but it seems kind of steep, price wise (space too).

So I was thinking of the safety squat bar as a compromise solution...not ideal but better than nothing.

Also, I think New York Barbells sells two versions of the bar for cheaper than the Elite version.

howard