CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-26-2007, 04:53 PM   #1
Trevor Thompson

Profile:

I am 19 years old i have been doing some WOD and GymJones style extra stuff that they have, now i love to do it all but usually i just don't feel like it is enough, actually i almost know it isn't. i am training to be a US Navy SEAL. my PST scores right now are.... 500yrd swim 9:00, 100 pushups 2min, 100 situps 2min, 19 pullups deadhang, 8:45 1.5 mile run. so i usually run 45 miles a week and swim 8k yards a week plus lifting Mon. Wed. Friday.....and maybe for some the WOD just aren't enough to push it to the extreme.

After 6 months of what i would call Crossfit+GymJones+Crazy Man Training (hah) i am 163lbs 5'9'' and 7-8% BF

I did FRAN for the first time ever today and got it done in 6 minutes and that felt pretty good. it was after a 2 mile run in 13 minutes so i think i did okay. i tried a good box jump too, 5 x 55"
Old 06-26-2007, 05:33 PM   #2
Thomas Covington

Profile:
I find the same thing sometimes depending on what I do. Maybe I am not cranking the intensity up enough?

I like to follow a WOD style workout with extra calesthinics or light OLY.
Old 06-26-2007, 05:50 PM   #3
Trevor Thompson

Profile:

Thomas i feel you on that, maybe i should have put what else i do besides the swimming, 3 days a week i do 600-800 pushups and situps and 200+ pullups/pullup variations...in addition to the Circuit/WOD being done
Old 06-26-2007, 06:09 PM   #4
Russell Greene

Profile:
6 minutes is a very good Fran time, for a beginner. I advise you to approach Crossfit with humility, and you will be able to substantially increase your fitness. There are many here in astonishingly good shape and you will be able to learn a lot from them. I also suggest that you continue doing your crossfit training for general fitness, in addition to other training geared towards the specific demands of BUD/s.

If you want to be a Navy SEAL, you'll have to do a lot of high rep and high volume calisthenics, and lots of running.

Crossfit is an excellent program for general fitness, not a end-all-be-all program for everything. If you want to be good at something, you've got to do it, and a lot of it. So if you want to prepare for BUD/s, you'll have to train the way BUD/s will be.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:32 PM   #5
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:
This guy's Fran is pretty fast.

wfs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyXTguBCpv8
Old 06-26-2007, 07:56 PM   #6
Laura Rucker

Profile:
CrossFit can be scaled UP as well as down. 6 minutes is really good for a beginner but a little snooping will get you a list of guys 2.5 times your age doing it twice as fast.

;)

And perhaps it's not so much "not enough" for you but that you are not challenging yourself as much as you are able.

Old 06-26-2007, 09:40 PM   #7
Trevor Thompson

Profile:

That i HAVE seen hah. A lot of guys do many if not every one of the workouts faster than i do them, though that's good for me, i need the competition. The workouts i have been doing have been CrossFit-ish for about 3 months but not till 2 weeks ago had i been doing WOD and the named workouts because i hadn't really seen it....now i know. this is fun, thanks for the input.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:05 PM   #8
Ben Moskowitz

Profile:
You run a whole lot faster than I do. That said, you should be able to swim 500 yards in way less time. Is that freestyle?
Old 06-26-2007, 10:15 PM   #9
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:
Lots of stuff you can do. For example try Fran with 135lb thrusters 40 extra lbs on pullups and shoot for closer to three minutes instead of six.

Try running a mile with a sandbag equal to your bodyweight.

BW OHS x 15.

If you read and hang around more you will see CF is not just the WOD. The training can be much easier or many times harder than the posted workout.

There are some that will do two or three WOD type workouts in one day.

If you are training specifically for something it should not be your only workout, but a supplement!

Old 06-26-2007, 11:31 PM   #10
Trevor Thompson

Profile:

Craig i absolutely agree, thank you for the info. My swim time is with a breast stroke, and that is at an easy pace, i swim the swim easy so i can do the rest of the test, which you start 10 minutes after the swim: pushups/situps/pullups/run, so the pace is deterimined by the test at this point. I hope i am not giving off an arrogent or all knowing attitude, i really want to learn everything i can.