CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 10-28-2003, 08:33 PM   #1
Kevin Roddy

Profile:
How can I more fully develop my iron cross? I really want to have it by around my senior year in high school, I think it would be an incredible addition to my rings routine. The problem is, I don't have rings at home, and even if I did, I'd have nowhere to hang them! (major bummer) is there any way I can train the specific muscle groups required to do it without owning rings? Or do I just need to wait until next season?

Thanks. :happy:
Old 10-29-2003, 04:06 PM   #2
David Heyer

Profile:
Kevin,
Make a pair. Get a strong rope (length varies depending on where you use it) and some thick hose. I got mine from a contractor. Cut the hose into 2 sections about 18" and feed the rope through. Tie off each end in a "C" shape. Now throw the rope over a tree branch, swing set, or whatever.
Cost: CHEAP! Strength: Depends on the rope you buy. I weigh in at 200 lbs. and I use mine all the time, without a problem.
Give it a shot. Good luck with your goal.
Dave
Old 10-29-2003, 05:52 PM   #3
Robert Wolf

Profile:
kevin-

i think Coach mentioned doing straight arm dumbell raises/lowers to train the iron cross movement. Once you have 50% of BW in each hand and can lower/raise it stiff arm in the iron cross form you are set!
Robb
Old 10-29-2003, 06:48 PM   #4
Coach

Profile:

Robb,

That was, of course, for an inverted cross.

For the iron cross you may benefit from some straight arm lateral pulldowns with surgical tubing.

Make rings, get some rope, hang them from a tree limb. Do the negatives with someone supporting your feet. Hold and pull-out assisted this way. You need to be resourceful and VERY determined.

It will help to realize that the iron cross comes from a co-contraction of the lats and pecs. These muscles are most commonly antagonists - not this time. It's fun to take squat racks and hold yourself in a cross at the biceps, then move the racks out to the elbows, then forearms, etc. By the time you can support yourself at the wrists you are close. Keep focused on the lat/pec contraction.

Coach
Old 10-29-2003, 06:49 PM   #5
Coach

Profile:

Oh yeah, and at least initially, big false grip.

Coach
Old 10-29-2003, 06:51 PM   #6
Coach

Profile:

And one more thing: Way to go, Dave!! That's the spirit.

Coach
Old 10-29-2003, 07:11 PM   #7
Kevin Roddy

Profile:
Thanks a ton! Yeah, I usually see a lot of gymnasts using false grips for the cross. I'll make sure to do that... my gymnastics coach says I may be able to borrow a spare pair of rings from him over the off-season, so that will be a great help.
Old 10-30-2003, 05:17 AM   #8
Coach

Profile:

Kevin, absolutely, positively follow up on your coach's offer. We'll figure out where to "string" them later.

Coach
Old 10-30-2003, 08:15 AM   #9
Roger Harrell

Profile:
I didn't know gymnastics had an "off season". :-P

To add to what's been said, once you've got the rings to use regularly also do cross pull outs. Do 5-10 reps of lower down as far as you can without loosing it, then pull back to cross. As you get stronger these will get lower, and not only will you have a cross, but a cross pull out as well.

Also have you looked at the technique for the cross? You want to roll your shoulders forward so that the inside of your elboe is down. When done properly this allows a greater tensioning of the muscles which will make the cross more solid.
Old 10-30-2003, 08:11 PM   #10
Kevin Roddy

Profile:
Thanks again!

This also made me wonder : Who is the gymnast in the picture on the main page's PHP pic rotation doing an iron cross?