CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-18-2011, 04:32 PM   #1
Tanner Doss

Profile:
Diet Help - Can't seem to trim the mid section

Hey everyone usually read a lot on here but never post, but I have been so frustrated lately I figured I would give it a shot.

I'm 24 years old 6 ft 194lbs ~14-15% body fat. However, all of that seems to sit right at my midsection. I'm a 305 bench, 415 squat, and 475 dead lifter on the strength side and on the CF side I run a 5k in ~23 mins, Fran ~3, and can about do 20 strict pull ups. I usually do strength days 3 times a week working with a 5-3-1 program, and Crossfit 2-3x per week with a long run on Sat/Sunday (5-8) miles.

As of now, I am pretty happy with my numbers strength wise but really think I could lean down and I realize this is all on my diet. After reading a lot of the threads on here I realize I probably don't eat as much as I need, which might be hindering my metabolism.

A usual day in my diet:

06:30 - Big bowl of Total Cereal (usually something quick)
09:00 - Couple handful of nuts (almonds/trail mix)
11:30 -12:30 - Workout
12:40 - Lunch Roast beef sandwich or chicken and guac sandwich apple couple granola bars
15:00 - handful of nuts
18:00 - Protein Shake (usually muscle milk or something similar)
20:00 - Usually a protein (Steak, Pork, Chicken) Carb (Rice/Potato/or Sweet Potatoes) and something green usually Broccoli/Asparagus

Couple nights a week I will drink a few beers or glasses of wine.

I know for as much as I train my body should be looking better than it is. So I have tried to become calorie deficient in order to lose some excess fats, but I feel like I should be eating more in order to keep the metabolism up.

Any suggestions on diets/meals/quick meals! would be great.
Old 01-18-2011, 04:50 PM   #2
Matthew Baldwin

Profile:
Re: Diet Help - Can't seem to trim the mid section

Simple: lose the grains, eat a zone-diet (protein fat and carbs at every meal for starters... Total for breakfast is a total disaster); but you also are overtraining and won't lose the gut until you rest more and probably get better sleep than you do.

Also ditch the foods with added sugars, eg Granola bars.
Old 01-18-2011, 04:52 PM   #3
Tanner Doss

Profile:

I get 7-8 hours of sleep a night and I also listen to my body training wise...if I am hurting or run down I usually take a few days off.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:07 PM   #4
Larry Hotchkiss

Profile:

in addition to food choices.....overtraining + lack of sleep + stress = high cortisol = fat retention.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:11 PM   #5
Matthew Baldwin

Profile:

Oh yeah you should read more about Zone, Paleo, and ketogenic/low carb diets. Try reading about Martin Berkhan's Leangains system. Http://www.leangains.com/

It's likely that better nutrient partitioning (google it) and longer fast periods each day will help you reach your goals.

Finally, google carbs insulin and fat storage for a basic intro to the science of diet.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:17 PM   #6
Meghan Reid

Profile:

I'll bite.

If you've reeeealllly been reading a lot here, really and truly, you've got to know what we're gonna say. Or at least what I'm going to say.

1. Ditch the processed foods. This means cereal, granola bars, and bread.
2. Ditch all sugar that isn't covered in #1.
3. Eat more protein.
4. Eat more green veggies.
5. You may keep the protein shake but try to find the best quality one you can.
6. Eat more in general, and probably rest a little more. You're doing heavy strength training 3 days/week, heavy metcon the other 3 (presumably, if you're doing CF) and a long run on the weekend?
7. I'm going to half agree with Matthew, but disagree on the Zone part. You're a 24 year old guy. You don't need to obsessively count macros. Just eat more good stuff, less bad stuff, and you'll get where you need to be quickly.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:27 PM   #7
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

To echo everyone else, cut the grains (cereal/bread/granola bars), add more meat/eggs/vegetables, and watch those "few beers a few nights a week" adding up. Cheats are something you can get away with once you've met your goals, not while you're trying to get there.

Belly fat tends to indicate cortisol problems--make sure you're getting enough sleep and rest days.

Good news is your strength numbers indicate some muscle mass which will help you lean out pretty quickly as soon as you get rid of the junk you're eating.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:53 PM   #8
Bob D Pratt

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
To echo everyone else,
I just started the paleo challenge on Jan. 1st and have lost 13 lbs mostly from my mid-section. I was the cortisol poster-boy
From the second day I felt better, slept better, had more energy and the weight started dropping off.
Do it for a month and report back to us.
NOTHING has ever made as dramatic a change in my life.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:57 PM   #9
Tanner Doss

Profile:

I usually lift monday tuesday rest or light accessory work wednesday lift thursday light workout friday morning (PT with my squadron) trust me that is nothing difficult and usually 2 of those 3 lift days ill do a quick crossfit (Fran, Grace, Angie...etc basically anything under 20 minutes) and try to get a long run/bike/swim on saturday or sunday
Old 01-18-2011, 08:03 PM   #10
Jamie Gowens

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanner Doss View Post

I know for as much as I train my body should be looking better than it is. So I have tried to become calorie deficient in order to lose some excess fats, but I feel like I should be eating more in order to keep the metabolism up.

Any suggestions on diets/meals/quick meals! would be great.
a) stop eating crap.
b) crap is processed food. And sugar. And alcohol.
c) real food perishes.
d) if you're going to train hard, eat well. And a lot.

quick meals?
chicken and brussel sprouts with an avocado seems to work for my guy.