CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 02-08-2010, 11:56 AM   #1
James E Sutton

Profile:
Lift order

To start everything out I would like to explain my lead up to where I am now. I main paged only for roughly one year. This was followed by a few months of CFWF programing until around New Years this year.

I enjoy the main page programing the most but after almost a year I had made major strength gains but started stalling on all the lifts. My press and squat had stalled and the DL had actually gone down some. I followed a 3:1 schedule very well with rest as needed.

This drop in lifts and a change in my schedule prompted me to switch over to CFWF programming. I followed this programming for roughly three months and was making great gains in strength. What I did not like was my decreasing metcon ability and the repetative nature of the planned lifts. Boredem if you will.

With this information I decided to modify my program some. I've decided to go with one major lift per day and a main page metcon. Due to my schedule for now I'm using a Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri schedule. What I have currently been doing is Squat 3x5 on Mon, PC 5x3 on Tues, Press 3x5 on Thurs, and DL 1x5 on Friday. Increasing linearly each time the lift is performed. Each lift is followed by a main page metcon. I follow the main page a few cycles behind so I can skip over the pure strength days to the next metcon. This way I can avoid any cherry picking. So far everything is workout out very well.

Due to my schedule now I occasionlly miss a day or two of working out here and there. In order to not have any of the lifts neglected I would like to have the lifts done in a set order. ie Squat, Clean, DL, then Press in this order on whatever day I work out. I would still do only one lift per day and a metcon but the Squat would not always be on Monday, Clean on Tues etc. If I can workout every week with my Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri schedule and not miss a day the lifts would never change days. But if I miss a day this week the lifts for the next week would then be shifted so I always did the lifts in the same order without any skipped. Does this make sense?

So my question is since the rest day between the lifts could be shifted on any given week what order would you schedule the Squat, PC, DL and Press to maximize them?
Old 02-08-2010, 12:15 PM   #2
Nic Kirkland

Profile:
Re: Lift order

Have you heard of CrossFit Strength Bias (CFSB)? It sounds really similar to what you are doing. You do 3x3, 3x5, 5x3, or 5x5 of a big lift 4 days/week, along with some high reps sets of the various lifts here and there. If you have a Journal subscription, search for Strong Medicine.

The order they suggest is:

M- Back Squat
Tu- Deadlift
W- Rest
Th- Metcon
F- Front Squat
Sa- Shoulder Press
Su- Rest

The entire program is more detailed than that, as they also incorporate (generally short) metcons each day so you don't lose that work capacity in time and modal domains not so closely related to lifting heavy weight 3-5 times. I think PC would make a good sub on Friday for your plan, as front squat is not (in my mind) so much of a leg/hip strength exercise (anyone can do significantly more weight on a back squat) as a midline stabilization exercise that you train in order to become stronger there and more proficient at the clean. If PC's are your thing, I think that lines up with your goals nicely.

So heavy back squat and DL with metcons sandwiched between 2 rest days, and PC and press and a harder/longer metcon day on the other 3 days. If programmed correctly, doing heavy BS's and DL's and metcons back to back should be plenty of volume and make you really appreciate those rest days.
Old 02-08-2010, 03:19 PM   #3
Joseph Hart

Profile:
Re: Lift order

I would put the DL and BS on seperate ends of your week. Having them so close together is asking for problems. I would also try to keep the metcons short 5-10 min.