CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 10-16-2007, 12:33 PM   #1
Rick Martinez

Profile:
Rhabdo Again

Fellow CF'ers,
I know this is an "injury" type of topic, but I wanted to address this as it realtes to trainers and clients and the community. I will not use places or names, but I will say that this did NOT happen in the Virginia/Maryland area CrossFit affiliates . My sis' in law is pretty fit, runs, eats well, not overweight, etc... and was turned on to CrossFit. She was jazzed to attend a "Free" beginner class this past weekend. She signed a waiver and was tossed into a group. She was thouroughly punished! The workout was tough and involved movements she was not used to and tons of pull-ups. Long story short, she was sore and did the usuall Motrin and ice. Now she is sore-er and at work her colleagues noted it appeared she was developing compartment syndrom in her arms. Oh, I forgot to mention that she's a physician and her colleaugues are also all docs at an Ivy league school no less. They sufficiently ruled out a tendonitis or muscle strain and even her hubby (also an MD) said she 's got rhabdo.
My point is that as trainers we MUST be aware of our clients limitations, especially in a Beginner class, which was what this class was supposed to be. More than scaring a potential client away, we can actually cause physical harm and render some serious damage to someone.
I ask that we remember to be constantly aware of who we are training and thought often, as trainers, our fitness level is likely NOT the same as the newbie in class.
Hasta,
Rick
Old 10-17-2007, 05:54 AM   #2
Frank DiMeo

Profile:
Re: Rhabdo Again

Rick, that's a good point.
My new clients are automatically on scaled down workouts, usually 50% (or less) of what the more experienced part of the group is doing.
They leave wanting more, not sorry they ever tried it.
We ramp up the intensity as they are able to handle it.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:54 AM   #3
Roger Harrell

Profile:

In no instance would a brand new person just be thrown in with an experienced group and expected to go at it. Athletes are actually far more at risk for rhabdo than folks off the couch. The off the couch folks will shut down far before they end get to this point. Athletes who are reasonably well trained, but not used to the high pace of CF will go over the edge. Ramp up with everyone. Tell new clients to just go through the motions and pace slow. There's plenty of time and they will make gains fast enough without this risk.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:56 AM   #4
Steven Low

Profile:

Yep, usually happens to those who are pretty active and workout to some extent. Their muscles just can't keep up with their mind.

Like Frank said it's just a good idea to scale for at least a couple of weeks to ramp up the intensity not only to avoid rhabdo but also avoid the crippling soreness.

edit: lol roger said everything I did more detailed