CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 09-11-2006, 08:51 PM   #1
Joe Beman

Profile:
I'm looking at martial arts schools and styles and will probably take it up starting in the next few weeks. I have noticed that crossfit has an abundance of martial artists.

My question: How do you schedule it? Do you lay off crossfit on the days you train? Do you work MA training in on Crossfit rest days? Do you perform crossfit WODs on the same day you train MA?

If you train MA and crossfit at the same place (nice!), that's obvious, no need to answer.

Thanks,
Joe
Old 09-12-2006, 03:07 AM   #2
Chris Hanninger

Profile:
In Short, Yes, you can do your MA training on CF Rest days, and on the days of the WOD decrease the intensity so you have energy for your MA training. Even though your are doing a less intensity, you're still getting the benefit of the exercises. Do the WOD earlier in the day if possible so you give your body plenty of time to recover. If nothing else, consider WOD rest days "active rest" because you're still doing MA. Hopefully that makes sense
Old 09-12-2006, 06:04 AM   #3
Christian Lemburg

Profile:
Joe,

I found out that too much metcon work leaves me tired and increases my chance of overuse injuries (not to mention acute injuries in MA training due to mistakes because of tiredness). I tried "overlaying" the CrossFit WODs on top of my MA training (Krav Maga), but it was too much for me.

Now I usually choose to favor the MA training over the WOD, and give 100% there (in MA, good metcon workout), rather than to go back to reduced intensity to be able to do both workouts. Remember, it's overload and rest that makes growth happen. Medium intensity all the time won't do it.

As for rest days, I am still working that out. I don't skip MA sessions because of a rest day. I try to listen to my body, but I suspect I am still doing too much (I rarely have two rest days a week).

I found that I gain most by concentrating on the strength (ME work and oly lifting) and skill (gymnastics) aspects of CrossFit, and trading MA training for metcon WODs.

Cheers,

Christian