CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 01-27-2006, 07:36 AM   #1
Steve Shafley

Profile:
Virginia powerlifter/attorney Kevin McK. does Linda for the first time. Details in the WOD section. Witnesses by the staff and members of Richmond's Weight Room.

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/24/18971.html

I would have posted it here, but figured it belonged there.

He then does CF challenge #6, or something, and the video is posted there as well.

A few points:

If you don't like watching a short, dirty, sweaty man flip you off, don't watch the video. Also, if you don't like "Rush", don't watch the video.

Kevin performed Linda after a squatting session and before attempting the CF Challenge (30x BW bench)

Old 01-27-2006, 09:18 AM   #2
Barry Cooper

Profile:
Three Questions:

1) Obviously, you feel this sends a message. In your estimation, what is that message?

2) Is he currently cycling Dianabol, Testosterone, or any other "supplements"? The question is relevant. If he's a man, he'll tell the truth. If he's a coward, he'll lie. Either way, I won't question the answer, and I'm not implying any value judgement, relative to steroid use. Honesty, yes, I place value judgements on that.

3) Linda is powerlifter specific. Would he consider doing Chelsea or Helen? Obviously, a number of the top people here post times in the neighborhood of his, in Linda. Our model is crossing disciplines, though. Can he run even a sub-25 minute 5K?
Old 01-27-2006, 09:34 AM   #3
Mike Yukish

Profile:
Barry, why is the question on steroids more relevant here than at any other time? Also, with your third question it seems you're presuming some particular answer to your first.

I think it's cool somebody non-CF did one of the girls. I'm curious to hear his opinion on it.
Old 01-27-2006, 09:47 AM   #4
Barry Cooper

Profile:
Mike,

I don't think many, if any, CrossFitters juice. Those drugs enable you to train harder longer, and it seemed to me--I will let Steve speak to it--that the point of including Linda in a longer workout was to point out the incredible stamina and strength of this dude. Whether drugs are in play is, to my mind, relevant to our assessment.

With respect to 3, yes, I only had 2 questions initially, then I got diarrhea of the mouth. As usual, that is an astute observation. It's hook, then lead. No hook, no lead. It's all in the execution, isn't it?
Old 01-27-2006, 09:52 AM   #5
Barry Cooper

Profile:
I will add, and should have initially, that drugs or not, that's an excellent result. He should be proud of that. Obviously, it is good that a non-Crossfitter is doing one of our workouts.

However, to put it gently, I'm not feelin' the love. This is, possibly, an opportunity to not increase gaps. It is not, however, a selling opportunity, in my estimation, again, to put it mildly.
Old 01-27-2006, 09:55 AM   #6
John Walsh

Profile:
I’m curious as well as to what his opinions are and if he would continue to supplement his workouts like this.

I think a lot of people miss the point when they denigrate a performance with a statement like, “Yeah, well how many jumping jacks can he do?” Who cares? For this guy the sport is powerlifting not crossfit. The question to ask is if this type of training is complementary to his goals of max squatting, benching and deadlifting.
Old 01-27-2006, 10:07 AM   #7
Barry Cooper

Profile:
"If you don't like watching a short, dirty, sweaty man flip you off, don't watch the video."

Now, I haven't watched the video. Perhaps what he is describing verbally does not match what actually happens on the video. I will say that as a general rule, elevating the finger between the pointer finger and the ring finger does not have a positive semantic content.
Old 01-27-2006, 10:13 AM   #8
Albert Clayton

Profile:
I would think you would have to be clean of steroids to compete in a USAPL National competition. But what do I know.

The purpose of the video was obviously a message, Mine is bigger than yours.

The lawyer is bad to the bone.

(Message edited by clayton on January 27, 2006)
Old 01-27-2006, 10:50 AM   #9
Steve Shafley

Profile:
Barry:

From Kev's mouth:

"1. I think I sort of answered that above. But mostly I'm not really trying to send a message, I just wanted to say I could do it and do it well. Steve may wish to add his own commentary here, I'd probably agree with most "messages" he might see.

2. Lifetime drug free, A. you have my word on it, which means a lot to those who know me. B. lift in a tested federation doing 2-4 meets every year, have been tested twice, but not recently.

a. Linda is not "powerlifter specific." It is the closest CF workout to being powerlifter specific, but doing 50% lifts for 55 reps in 25 minutes in the DL and Bench, is not at all that much like PLing. There are no cleans in Powerlifting, and I don't train the OLs for their own sake. I put marginal effort into the snatch because I like OHsquats so much. I almost never train cleans (as in I can't even remember the last time, 230 pr, probably well more than a year ago)

b. How many of the people posting times, under say 30 minutes on Linda weigh over 200lbs and do the workout with the full prescribed weights or better?

c. I am actually a competitive athlete with a specific sport to train for. Crossing disciplines without a PL related purpose would be counterproductive, though I do intend to do a Strongman sometime this year (after Nationals).

d. Sub 25 minute 5K?
Very Doubtful. My best mile was about 7:15 I think, and I was doing some steady state cardio work at the time. I think I might be able to do that now, but I would have a real tough time doing it three times nonstop."

My replies to Barry:

Message? I'm not really sending one. I guess you can read whatever you'd like into this, and many probably will. Kev has followed the previous controversy I was involved in, and I edited any inflammatory or negative comments when he posted this. You can read this on the P&B rant board, probably another board many of you would consider "teeming with filth". If it's not your cup of tea, that's cool. The giest of the entire exchange now seen in Pukie's Bucket had NO bearing upon the nuts and bolts of Crossfit exercise methodology, and if anyone wants to go into it further, feel free to email me. SShafley AT Gmail DOT com.

I think everyone who wanted to comment privately upon that topic has done so, but if it makes you feel better to email me and tell me I'm an idiot or a more provocative name, feel free to do so.

The other questions were illuminated by Kev pretty clearly.
Old 01-27-2006, 10:51 AM   #10
Steve Shafley

Profile:
Barry: He flips the camera a double bird and then he bench presses 205 x 31.