CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 06-11-2007, 08:57 PM   #1
Joseph Hart

Profile:
I just got done with a bout of antibiotics for pink eye (thanks kids) and now my eyes will dry out really bad at night. To the point that I need to put drops in to get them to focus or see normally in the AM. Is this something that the antibiotics did and will go away over time? Do I need to see a doc? I am running the ceiling fan at night, but I was doing that (at the same speed) before I got pink eye and the antibiotics and my eyes were fine.

thanks
Old 06-12-2007, 05:28 PM   #2
Darrell E. White

Profile:
Joseph:

Standard disclaimer: the following is meant to be general information and is not meant to be medical advice. Consult your physician for diagnosis and treatment.

I'm familiar with eye problems. Pink eye affects the microscpopic tear glands that line the eye, living in the conjuctiva or skin of the eye. It sometimes takes weeks to months until your eyes feel "normal", even after the pink eye is healed. it is highly, highly unlikely that the antibiotic drops caused this. You seem to be experiencing post-pink eye dry eye. Consider using artificial tears (nothing with "get the red out") as needed.

This, too, shall pass. Good luck.

Old 06-12-2007, 05:39 PM   #3
Joseph Hart

Profile:
Thanks Darrell, I figured you know what was up.
Old 06-13-2007, 04:09 AM   #4
Cal Jones

Profile:
I used artificial tears (hypromellose were the ones I used) after lasik, but you can get a gel for night time use if the dryness is really bad.
Another thing you can try is supplementing your diet with flaxseed oil. Good luck.