CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 05-07-2007, 12:49 PM   #1
Maneesh Sud

Profile:
Weathers nice and I finally have the time to build a lifting platform.
Just curious if anyone coats their top surface?
I read in an older post polyurethane is an option.

For people with platforms outside of their power racks, did you end up putting your rack ontop of the platform, or have the end of the platform cut so that it fits right up to (inside) the base of the platform. Why and how has it worked for you?

Thanks
Old 05-07-2007, 01:09 PM   #2
Tom Fetter

Profile:
Because of a weirdly shaped room, I didn't have room for a full 8X8' platform, so mine's 6X8'. I did, however, add a 2X4' "tongue" sticking out one end of the platform, where I built a half rack, tying it into the ceiling joists.

The 6X8 gives me plenty of room for the exercizes, with the rack out of the way. Works well.
Old 05-07-2007, 01:25 PM   #3
Maneesh Sud

Profile:
Im debating whether to make my tongue fit inside my rack, or have my rack sit ontop of my tongue...
The latter would be easier since I can have the rack sit easily on a 4foot wide strip.
Otherwise I need to cut the wood precisely
Old 05-07-2007, 04:05 PM   #4
Joseph Hart

Profile:
Tom,

Do you have any pictures of the half rack? I was kicking around the idea.
Old 05-08-2007, 06:04 AM   #5
Tom Fetter

Profile:
No pictures, sorry. My youngest kid dropped our camera recently.

I started by cutting two 2' lengths of an old 6"X6" fencepost I had lying around, and laid on top of the sides of the "tongue." While the fencepost pieces are probably not necessary for strength, they give a place to chop mortises to connect the posts solidly with mortise-and-tenon joints. Putting the rack on top of the plywood itself helps spread the load.

Each post for the half rack is laminated from three 2X4s. The two "outside" laminations on each post are solid ... the center one has gaps left where I wanted to slide the support bars through.

Laminating the posts made it dead simple to make tenons for the joints tying this together ... just extend the middle lamination an extra inch, and presto. I screwed in angle braces anyhow. Connected to the ceiling much the same way folks are doing for their pull-up bars .. screwing a supporting plank into the ceiling joists, and attaching the tops of the posts to it with more mortise/tenon joints and angle iron braces.

FWIW, I made the 2'X4' tongue under the half rack integral with the lifting platform when I made the platform. The total distance from the front of the platform to the far end of the tongue is 8' ... the length of one full sheet of ply.

(Message edited by TomF on May 08, 2007)
Old 05-08-2007, 10:09 AM   #6
Baron Dorff

Profile:
I didn't coat mine with a sealer, but wish I had. My dog spends a fair amount of time in that room and has from time to time committed unspeakably foul acts on the platform. I don't mind normal dirt and grunge on the flooring, but I really need to paint or add a new layer to cover the stains now.

I built my setup with a 6 x 8 platform outside the rack, with a second smaller piece roughly 3'x3' butted up against it filling the space inside the rack base. The plaform is heavy enough that it doesn't move relative to the rack.

That layout lets the rack's base sit almost perfectly even with the height of the platform, which reduces the tripping hazard and I think looks better.