CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 12-20-2005, 11:46 AM   #1
Daniel Overvoll

Profile:
I will be in Moscow, Russia next month. Does anyone know where I can find some Russian KBs? I think it would be a cool souvenir and I can get away with a carry on if I don't go with the 2 pood *^).
Old 12-20-2005, 08:49 PM   #2
John de la Garza

Profile:
I don't reallly think kb's have any special connection to russia, I think that is just marketing hype.

What I mean is having a kb from a usa company or english company would be just as significant or nonsig (depending on how you see it).

maybe I'm wrong. I don't really have first hand knowlege. I'd be curious to find out what you see when you actually go to "the mother land of the KB" (as some put it)

Old 12-20-2005, 09:28 PM   #3
Brendan Melville

Profile:
Take a look at the scores from the last international competition. The Russians and Ukrainians obviously know something we don't about KBs, 'cause we got smoooked :-)
Old 12-21-2005, 08:12 AM   #4
George Koupatadze

Profile:
Russia is definitely "the motherland of Kettlebells". Ever since they started using them for fitness purposes over a century ago, they never stopped.

Daniel, while I can't advice you on the specific place where to get one because I left Russia a long time ago, you shouldn't have a problem picking one up - it should be way cheaper than here. KBs used to cost next to nothing, they shouldn't be much more expensive now. Ask around where you can get one, maybe buy one off the locals.
Old 12-21-2005, 04:33 PM   #5
Daniel Overvoll

Profile:
Thanks for the responses! I will see what I find. I think I have probably bought every other souvenir you can buy in Russia on past trips. You can only have so many "stacking dolls" until they start looking like Chucky.

Old 12-21-2005, 04:45 PM   #6
Roger Smith

Profile:
You might check over at the dragondoor forum. Some one over there should know....
Old 12-21-2005, 11:56 PM   #7
Jason Erickson

Profile:
Just don't buy your KBs from this guy...
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/17302.jpg
Old 12-22-2005, 02:20 PM   #8
Seth Orell, Jr.

Profile:
AAEIIII!

My eyes!~
Old 12-22-2005, 11:10 PM   #9
John de la Garza

Profile:
Please keep in mind that I mean no offense by this. In person my tone would show that, but sometimes on the web I have a hard time expressing my self.

And I am open to new info always.

I don't assume this is true just because I read it on the net (I'm not saying you do either) but there are a lot of people who are really looking for some kind of holy grail and plenty of people to exploit that, in any media and with any product. I actually have to be careful not to be one of these searchers (I get too caught up in things)

Here is an opposing view:
http://www.dolfzine.com/page459.htm which could easily be incorrect.

I'm not saying that arnt' popular in Russia, I just think it is hard for me to believe that they necisarily where invented in one paticular place. I've seen them in Asian history, too. This might sound contentious (I don't mean to be) but to me, kb's dont' seem revolutionary or anything.

I like them, and have some, I agree they are good tools, but some people get caught up in some of the hype that is generated by some of people who are marketing them as something that is larger than life.
Old 12-23-2005, 03:12 AM   #10
Jason Erickson

Profile:
John - You're dead right: there is no magic bullet. You have to do the work. Depending on your needs and performance goals, some methods will be better suited than others.

The many problems I have with that article begin with the author's bio:

"Ray Brennan was born in Northern Ireland and has been involved in martial arts, mostly aikido and aiki-jutsu for a number of years. He is currently studying Zen Judo and Canadian Combato. Ray has been doing strength training for almost a decade. A strong advocate for applying traditional strength training exercise to martial arts training, his articles have appeared in numerous publications. He may be contacted by..."

Ray's background apparently doesn't include any actual kettlebell training, or at least none significant enough to mention. Further, he's an advocate of "traditional strength training" which (judging by his article) apparently means plate-loaded implements.:uhoh:

Ray's article ignores the LONG history of kettlebells in traditional strength training, and fails to mention that plate-loaded tools didn't come along until the last century. While it's possible that kettlebells were inspired by curling stones, he fails to produce anything historical to back up that hypothesis. Ultimately it's a chicken-and-egg issue anyway, as the primary issue is effectiveness, which he broadly denies without exception. Anyone with a significant understanding of exercise science would know better than to flatly pronounce an odd-shaped weight as useless. By the author's reasoning, we might as well forget about sandbags, weight sleds, large rocks, etc.

The only point I agree with is that anyone using kettlebells should use perfect technique on every rep. Imperfect technique is the most common source of injury, so users of all levels need to learn how to use them correctly. Anyone not willing to do so should content themselves with machines and simply accept second-rate results.

John - the revolutionary aspect of Kettlebells and various other "non-traditional" tools is that they defy the "traditional" western concept of isolation training through a limited ROM. If used correctly, they will indeed yield shocking performance gains. Used poorly... well, that's the athlete's fault.