CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 10-09-2005, 02:17 AM   #41
Alexander Karatis

Profile:
The reason that subscribe to Crossfit, is because I find it to be so in-tune with my overall philosophy in life. The principles are pretty much the same everywhere, and life's no fun if you don't learn the term CARRYOVER. Crossfit itself (Oh yes, the physical aspect of it) has taught me concepts that no Business School or self-help book could have ever gotten across to me even if they were hitting me on the head with them.

Do I find parallels with Crossfit, Free-Market economies, stoic pholosophy, swarm intelligence, or plain old bul$hit debunking no matter what discipline I come across? You bet. Do I expect that Coach will have a certain opinion about these, and one that I probably can deduce from his other beliefs? Sure.

But I definitely wouldn't be shocked if one day I found out that we have radically different opinions on a subject. I trust and respect the man so much, that I'd really try to understand how it is we agree on those other isues and on this particular one we have view so radically divergent. I'd view it as an opportunity, a rare chance for some great debate or even just reflection where the proponent of that other view is a person whose "fundamentals" I totally trust and agree with, and who is VERY likely to provide some stimulating discussion and thoughtfull debate.

And BTW, I'll be yet another Crossfiter to warn about "Political Correctness" creeping into this community...

So, Coach...Rock on, and we'll just try to keep up!:happy:
Old 10-10-2005, 11:08 AM   #42
Ben Krey

Profile:

There are so many good things on this site that I can certainly overlook the fact that the owner expresses a political agenda. We all have a reason for wanting to be physically fit... Some people are actually politically motivated to be fit. It seems crossfit just attracts many of the militia minded. :uhoh: What is the politically correct way to say, "Who cares!"

Crossfit is not for the lazy. It is also not for those who want elite fitness minus the sermons of political right wing conservatism.
Old 10-10-2005, 12:14 PM   #43
Bob Long

Profile:
A way to settle this is to make Crossfit a subcription service. It's free now so you can't complain about content but if it was subscription you could vote with your dollars or lack thereof. Personnally I'd pay for this anyway.
Old 10-10-2005, 03:54 PM   #44
Patrick Johnston

Profile:
Well put, Mr. Long.
Old 10-10-2005, 07:40 PM   #45
Nic Nakis

Profile:
Wow, this whole discussion got a little out of hand.

I don't like debates. I don't like the internet. I don't like people getting flustered OR sarcastic on message boards.

I respectfully bow out of this conversation. (It was just advice anyway.)

However, I do like, "milita minded". Good phrase.

Nic Nakis
Fools Die Productions
Militia Minded
Old 10-11-2005, 08:52 AM   #46
Daniel Overvoll

Profile:
It's not a Militia! - It's a shooting club...
Old 10-11-2005, 11:01 AM   #47
Rene Renteria

Profile:
Those of you who advocate never bringing up controversial subjects...

This straw man is a mischaracterization of the discussion here in the forum and of the relevant issues. It was subjects within "politics" vs. those within "fitness". Plenty of controversial fitness ideas are presented here, and it is expected.

It's a process people!
Staying on comfortable ground is BULLS*&%!! If you can't discuss ideas without getting "offended" then something is seriously wrong with you.

Well, who's the one getting offended here? An idea is in there trying to speak out, but trying to hear it in the accompanying cacophany isn't a simple matter. Maybe think about what exactly is causing your frustration.

Peace, out.
Rene'
Old 10-11-2005, 01:42 PM   #48
Skip Chase

Profile:
Dave Werner,
I agree with you.

CrossFit, and everything within and around it provoke a thought. As we read the WOD each day, every individual has a different thought and reaction. Some just think, some react, some think, react and communicate.

Thus far, I haven't seen any 'political agenda' established on this web site. I see information which provokes a thought. I read it, accept it or reject it. It is all just part of the learning process. I eat the meat and spit out the bones. I really don't see any reason to become offended. It is just information.

Old 10-11-2005, 01:57 PM   #49
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Well said Skip.
Old 10-11-2005, 02:18 PM   #50
Dave Young

Profile:
Not well said Skip. The problem is that it's NOT just information. When it comes to politics there is no information, just opinion.

People ask about the need for politics in a CrossFit environment not because they are "uncomfortable" or "offended". They ask because they don't see the point. If the point is to build a community (and a lot of us assume that it is), then maybe - just maybe - this is not the best way to do it.

I have often joked among a few select friends about the need for a parallel organization called CrossFit Left; a clear mis-nomer because the real goal would be apolitical. But I'm convinced that the people it would attract would be just as dedicated to athletic performance as the current group. But the sad thing is that I even think about the need for such a thing. And that I have to be careful who I share it with. It doesn't have to be that way.

Mike's original question is a good one: Why the politics? I think it's a good question, and one that still deserves the respect of an answer.