CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 11-28-2005, 10:44 AM   #31
Daniel Overvoll

Profile:
Neal,

Glad to see whe saw the light!! She sounds like a keeper!

Best,

DanO
Old 06-14-2008, 06:12 PM   #32
Chris Butner

Profile:

Re: Should I wean myself off gloves, if so, how?

I guess I bring this thread back from the dead. I like the title.....

I stopped wearing gloves about a month, or so ago. The skin on my hands is getting tougher. I just got the rogue rings recently, and have started to chalk up my hands using the rings. I also just bought my own refillable chalk bag, and a storage bag. I bought it at a store that sells rock climbing equipment. What I notice is whenever I touch the chalk bag it makes a "cloud of chalk". Which bothers me. My friends bag does not do this when you touch his chalk bag.

So is the "cloud of chalk", because the bag is brand new. Or should I be using a different type of chalk? Is gym chalk different than rock chalk?

The chalk I have is made by Metolius. Super Chalk. The back label says it has magnesium carbonate in it, but does not say anything else.

So does anyone have suggestions? As I use the new bag will the "chalk cloud" reduce? Or is there some other magical brand I should be using for the gym application? Buying a different brand is no big deal, but I may have to order it online, because I'm in a rural area. Retail is somewhat limited here. Any thoughts would be helpful. Thanks.
Old 06-15-2008, 07:22 PM   #33
Skylar Cook

Profile:

You're using it loose, right? That's why. It's a big problem in some climbing gyms, it gets pretty hazy in there on croweded days. Anyway, most guys now opt for chalk balls, you can either buy one or make one; basically it's a piece of pantyhose or some other fine mesh knotted at one end, filled with chalk, then tied off, about the size of a... kiwi fruit, for lack of a better comparison. Helps reduce the dust a little and is more efficient with chalk distribution. Throw it in your bag.

As for brand, I wouldn't waste the money on Metolius's stuff. Yeah, it may (or may not) be sick for climbing (some guys swear by it, w/e), but you can get away with some basic gymnastic chalk by Endo or whomever. Block chalk is usually cheaper, but you have to pulverize it yourself, unless you want to carry the block around. Metolius claims to have the "grippiest" chalk, with some magic additives, I don't go for it. Their stuff is really fine, too (IIRC), which isn't helping your problem.

Last edited by Skylar Cook; 06-15-2008 at 07:25 PM..
Old 06-15-2008, 07:38 PM   #34
Chris Butner

Profile:

Yes I have loose chalk in a sock. Then the sock is in a bag.
So your saying buy a weghtlifting/gymnastics chalk block. Then put that block in some sort of "sock". Then put that in my bag, and that should reduce the "chalk cloud" as I rub the block.
Do I break up the block, or leave it whole ?
Go with Endo brand, or are they all pretty much the same?
Could I just leave the block in my bag without the sock ?
Thanks for some feedback !
Old 06-15-2008, 08:41 PM   #35
Skylar Cook

Profile:

So are you actually digging your hand through loose chalk every time you chalk up, or are you just rubbing/smacking the sock on your hands? Digging your hands will make more dust...

Block chalk will definitely create less dust if left as a block. But it can take a while to rub off enough chalk. If you're going to leave it as a block, you don't need a sock/pantyhose/chalk ball. I just suggested buying block chalk and crushing it because it's so much cheaper and works well enough.
Old 06-15-2008, 09:29 PM   #36
Chris Butner

Profile:

Skylar I am rubbing a sock on my hand, but I think the Metolius brand chalk that is in the sock is very fine cut. So when I rub it makes kind of a "chalk cloud". I guess I'm being picky .

I do like using the sock method actually. Is there another brand chalk that is not so fine that I could buy in a bag as loose chalk ? My sock is refillable.

Or I could buy a block try that method to see what I like best.

I don't know. Just looking for options. This is new to me. When I bought the chalk I found out a new gym is in town that has a big climbing wall, and other stuff. Like a old school climbing rope like in high school. So I'm interested in trying that. I have not done the wall, or rock climbing activities before.

I think I kind of would like to use the sock. Another brand of loose chalk I could use ? I think I just don't like this Metolius ! Some loose chalk cut a little more coarse maybe better rather than fine. That I can keep in sock. If not I suppose I'll just get used to the "cloud". The sock maybe better all around method for both the weight training, and the wall/rope climbing. Particularly since I have the bag to go along with it.

Thanks for your suggestions.......
Old 06-16-2008, 04:05 AM   #37
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:

Edit: Just realized this thread is 3 years old ... nevermind.