CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 11-17-2005, 06:59 AM   #21
Mike Yukish

Profile:
My chick doesn't. One of things she was very complimentary about when we first started dating was my soft hands.

Run away! Run away!

Before you know it, she'll be standing over your lifeless body waving your newly removed spine in the air like the alien creature from Predator.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:50 PM   #22
Don Stevenson

Profile:
Ian, I've been struggling not to make an innappropriate comment on this thread ever since the soft hands comment (where's Dan Silver when you need him)

At my gym i'm known as the gadget guy or the machine hater.

I've told a number of clients that i'd marked all the machines that they shouldn't use and when they ask what the marking is I pull out the loading pin and say "they've all got one of these"

Back to callusses, I have callusses but i keep them trimmed, sanded and use moisturiser on my hands (i get dry skin all the time). The only time they cause problems is when you forget to file them and then run your palm over stockings etc (the GFs, not mine!!!!!) and they make a sound like velcro.

Of course it help me that i've got a girlfriend who's last complaint was "when are you putting up the chinup bar again"
Old 11-17-2005, 03:53 PM   #23
Brian McCarrie

Profile:
I wear gloves sometimes because I sweat A LOT! The chalk sometimes turns into a gooy mud on my hands.
Old 11-18-2005, 07:52 AM   #24
Mike Yukish

Profile:
OK, serious comment.

The only time I find myself wearing gloves is if I'm using a cheap barbell set. The bar doesn't spin then, and THAT is what will rip my hands to shreds. If the bar spins well, I don't have friction on the hands to rip calluses.

I rock climb, and so my grip for most exercises is almost all fingers, i.e., I don't use the hook grip. Even for heavy deadlifts. It keeps the stress off the skin of the palms. But grip is never a limiter for me. If I find myself wrapping a full hand around a bar, then I'll get wear and tear. Basically, if the bar starts to moves in your hand, your skin then has to carry the load. If it doesn't, then your skin doesn't. Keep the load from shifting in your hands.

I don't use chalk in the gym. I bring a golf towel and dry my hands constantly. Hopefully not obsessively. OK, maybe before starting up Fran.

I use chalk when climbing, so I know of its powers, but find that using a towel works just as well. Climbers have been known to spray anti-perspirant on their hands. Keeping them dry is gouge. Moist skin is weak skin is torn skin.

But that's me. All of the above is opinion. YMMV. Etc.
Old 11-18-2005, 08:29 AM   #25
Alexander Karatis

Profile:

Before you know it, she'll be standing over your lifeless body waving your newly removed spine in the air like the alien creature from Predator.

That has to go down as a classic! We need in-jokes t-shirts now damnit!

(Message edited by ApolloFS on November 18, 2005)
Old 11-18-2005, 08:57 AM   #26
Daniel Overvoll

Profile:
Mike Y. has it right!! Just follow the maintenance instructions above.

If she truly digs you, calloused hands will not drive her away. I understand wanting soft skin on your woman, but you are MEANT to have "man hands"!! Just look her in the eye and declare: "This is how I roll, baby." Then maybe she'll give you back the keys to your gun and power tool lockers. JUST KIDDING! But seriously, it's good to have hard hands.
Old 11-19-2005, 09:09 AM   #27
Ian Holmes

Profile:
Don
Beautiful. I can now tell trainees that I have had a friend go around and mark all the useless machines in the gym.
I am right there with you. While I am willing to accept the occasional argument that a machine allows for some rehabilitation work... oh wait... I don't accept that one either....

Mike
I think I do obsessive chalking before I start Fran... I am unsure of whether this is as bad as drying your hands again, and again, and again.

Neal
I hope you have found this all rather useful *grin*.
Old 11-19-2005, 07:09 PM   #28
Neal Winkler

Profile:
Hehe, I asked her if she cared and she basically said, "Well, if that's what I have to deal with then I guess I will just have to."
Old 11-19-2005, 08:41 PM   #29
Ian Holmes

Profile:
Glad to hear that she understands.

You can always console her by saying that your friends have much nastier hands.
Old 11-19-2005, 08:41 PM   #30
Rob McBee

Profile:
Neal,

Chicks dig rough hands but not as much as they dig big....bank accounts. Just flash the cash bro' and ditch the gloves for pete's sake.

Your friend
Rob M.
Activities Director, Camp Mohawk