CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 02-27-2015, 12:25 AM   #1
Dare Vodusek

Profile:
crossfitweightlifting.com

I am not exactly sure where to put this thread and also hope Im not breaking any forum TOS, but I've heard Rich mentioning the following site:

http://crossfitweightlifting.com/about-us/ WFS

Seems very legit and good programming, not to mention the staff, also every day a free WODs either for WL or CF goals.

Right now I follow CFFB, but I can see that the CFWL is better or I see it like a next stage once the CFFB is not "enough".

Thoughts?

PS, I've searched forum for ever mentioning this site, but found no hits, so I do apologise if it was already debated, I just cant find it.
Old 02-27-2015, 03:05 AM   #2
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
Re: crossfitweightlifting.com

http://www.mikesgym.org/

That's the old site. They just switched to a new domain that is more about CFWL than Burgener's old gym. More streamlined, better website, etc. Looks lie it went live in late September of last year.

Back in late 2010, I intially switched to CFFB from a gymnastics bias training program +531.

It wasn't long after that I switched to the Pendlay's beginner program to really focus on the olympic lifts as CFFB lacked that. I was dabbling with doing the olympic lifts before CFFB but ended up just phasing that out.

So it depends on your focus. If you want to be doing WL, then CFWL website makes sense whether you want to follow a pure WL program or hybrid WL bias program with CF stuff.

If your focus is more on strength and power with some anaerobic endurance, then CFFB is geared for that. Especially as the beginner strength program used to be SS-lite basically (not sure if it's changed since then).
Old 02-27-2015, 12:58 PM   #3
Philipp Lendner

Profile:

CFFB and CFWL are both "hybrid" programs, meaning both are more strength orientated than most other CF programs. Other than that, they are really not the same; just like few football players look like weightlifters. One focuses on strength needed on the field, the other on how to move a barbell.

The one thing I do not like about CFWL is that sometimes, it is a hell lot of volume. Olys, other strength exercises, work capacity, conditioning and core training all in just one session? This - and the reason that they use a lot of equipment I do not have accesses to - is why I do not follow it.
Old 02-27-2015, 02:36 PM   #4
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

The WL isn't much in the CF variant. Of course, it's like CF with this and that.
Old 03-01-2015, 11:22 AM   #5
Jeremy Schultz

Profile:

I first looked-up their website after Froning mentioned it as well. Maybe this is a stupid question, but does Burgener have a "Beginner's Guide" on that website? i.e. How is the programming structure set-up to be followed? I doubt that he expects everyone to follow both the WL and the CF parts six-days-a-week, as he has them set-up. Or does he?

EDIT: I guess the WL portion is set-up for only 5 days per week. Still, I can't see anyone other than Rich Froning doing that kind of volume - 5 days of WL and 6 days of CF work. Do you choose one or the other? Or do you just kind of do what you think is adequate? Even picking one-or-the-other is still much more volume than most programs. Thanks.

Last edited by Jeremy Schultz; 03-01-2015 at 11:44 AM..
Old 03-01-2015, 12:17 PM   #6
Struan Potter

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Schultz View Post
I first looked-up their website after Froning mentioned it as well. Maybe this is a stupid question, but does Burgener have a "Beginner's Guide" on that website? i.e. How is the programming structure set-up to be followed? I doubt that he expects everyone to follow both the WL and the CF parts six-days-a-week, as he has them set-up. Or does he?

EDIT: I guess the WL portion is set-up for only 5 days per week. Still, I can't see anyone other than Rich Froning doing that kind of volume - 5 days of WL and 6 days of CF work. Do you choose one or the other? Or do you just kind of do what you think is adequate? Even picking one-or-the-other is still much more volume than most programs. Thanks.
They are seperate. The WL part is for weightlifters only, while the CF part is for crossfit athletes.
Old 03-01-2015, 01:42 PM   #7
Jeremy Schultz

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Struan Potter View Post
They are seperate. The WL part is for weightlifters only, while the CF part is for crossfit athletes.
Thanks. Even still, though, those very long CF workouts 6 days per week is a ton of volume. Does Burgener recommend doing all the CF workouts?
Old 03-01-2015, 08:05 PM   #8
Clint Harris

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dare Vodusek View Post

Right now I follow CFFB, but I can see that the CFWL is better or I see it like a next stage once the CFFB is not "enough".

Thoughts?
"What are you training for?"
There's your answer.