CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 03-21-2014, 01:13 AM   #1
Vladimir Demirev

Profile:
Pain in the ribcage

Hi Guys,

Hope someone will be able to help with my injury.

I'm currently doing SMOLOV squat program and am squatting 4 times a week. Last FRI during the squats (I'm squatting with a 10mm belt) I felt some pulling on my left side (on the ribs just above the pelvis around the end of the lat). It was not bad at all and I decided that some mobilization of the area will help. So I did some foam rolling of the ribs and lat but this made the issue worse.
Anyway I went squatting again on Saturday-had slight discomfort during the warm-up sets (without a belt) but once I got to the work sets and put the belt on it was horrible, I barely managed to finish the squats. It was most painful in the lowest part of the squat when the belt was sticking into my ribs.
I tried to do some bar dips after the squats but the pain grew sharper so I stopped and went home.
The rest of the weekend was only rest+ice. There is no swelling, bruising, change of colour or anything on the painful area but it keeps hurting while breathing deeply, laughing, sneezing, twisting, turning to the sides while in bed.
I decided to take this week off, went to see a doctor and had a scanner but they did not find anything wrong so the problem should be muscle or tendon.
Anyway it keeps hurting and I don't know what to do.I'm taking NSAIDS but don't feel any relief.

Should I do some stretching or mob of the area? Can I start training or should I wait until the pain is entirely gone?
I'm pretty much stuck and frustrated with this unfortunated injury.

Would appreciate your advise.

Thanks,
Vlad
Old 03-25-2014, 06:40 AM   #2
Vladimir Demirev

Profile:
Re: Pain in the ribcage

Hi again,

Just to update, the doctors couldn't find anything wrong but the pain still persists without any relief.
The ribs are fine, as well as the internal organs. It couldn't be muscle tear (as per doctors' opinion) because there should be some external signes (bruises of the area, reddening of the skin, swelling, etc.). It couldn't be muscle strain neither, as the pain should have alleviated at least a little bit by now, if not healed completely (10 days in).

Does anyone have experience with similar injury?

I haven't been training since the injury occured, I stopped taking anti-inflammatory because they did not help (been taking them for 7 days) and I honestly don't know how to proceed with my recovery.

Your advises are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Vlad
Old 03-27-2014, 06:27 PM   #3
Sean Rockett

Profile:

agree with no nsaids, can be an intercostal muscle that can be painful with breathing and twisting, go back to doc if not better
Old 09-30-2014, 07:11 AM   #4
Chad Owen Kealoha Martin

Profile:

I have similar symptoms for the last couple weeks. From my research it looks like a potential rib fracture and/or stress fracture. I'm curious if you have made any progress regarding your injury. I"ve been told that i can train but if i feel any pain what so ever to not continue to do that movement. I'm headed to a doc to confirm soon.