CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 02-26-2008, 07:30 PM   #1
Carl Pawluk

Profile:
New of course...help??!!??

What's the method to the madness that is the WOD?

Is there a specific order of muscles worked per day? If I'm doing Crossfit, will I hit my muscle groups equally throughout the week? Doesn't seem to hit chest much.

I'm 6'1" and 226. I can do about 8-6-6-4-etc doing strict pull-ups. So far it seems that crossfit is nearly impossible for guys that are a bit overweight. I know that I need to adjust my excersizes until I can hack the real thing, but handstand push-ups and muscle ups seem light-years away. What are some good excersizes to sub/train so I can eventually do the harder bodyweight movements?

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

-Carl
Old 02-26-2008, 08:01 PM   #2
Ryan Norman

Profile:
Re: New of course...help??!!??

Take a look at the FAQ section...

HSPU can be substituted by placing your feet on a Smith machine, wall, or a similar piece of equipment. Or you could also do strict overhead presses.

The standard sub for muscle ups is 4 pullups and 4 dips to one mu.

The exercises will come to you faster than you think if you really work at it. They are not easy though.
Old 02-27-2008, 02:32 AM   #3
Wes Goldsberry

Profile:

Carl, the CF journal for Febuary 2003 describes the only method I know to these WODs. I sympathize w/ you regarding the over weight disadvantage. I'm 6'2" and 250+/- depending on my dinner. My demons are metcon WODs, pullups, and the handstand push-up. My demons are apparent on my WO blog Tie a knot and hang on.

For the metcons I've been doing as much as my body will take in an hour. I start w/ the Cross Fit Warm Up (CFWU) with the aim to improve in reps or time for each exercise. Then I go all out for for as long as I can for the remainder of the hour. I don't count my rest period between warmup and the WOD.

Pullups are a weird thing for me; its one of those exercises that I immediately psych myself out of. The weird part is that when I started CF, all of two weeks ago, I'm now doing pullups all days except rest days and I'm doing better every day. I'm actually starting to look forward to my pullups. During the CFWU I don't try to do all 15 reps, I work 'til failure then move on. If a WOD includes a set number of pullup reps I do them in ones and twos, sometimes threes, until I'm done. I don't kip yet, my pullup bar isn't that sturdy.

As for the handstand push ups, I suck! I've gotten the handstand against a wall part down, but so far all I can do is lower my head to the ground and start over. I've also thrown in some push ups w/ my legs elevated as high as I can.

I guess the philosophy I'm working w/ right now is that any and every improvement in time or reps or weight on the bar is a better me than yesterday. I try to ignore the scale and concentrate on how I feel. If I gave 110% to the work out than I did what I could and will do better next time.

One thing I keep telling myself is: if I can do this now, at the weight I am now, imagine what I'll be doing when I drop the rest of this fat!

Hope this helps,
Wes
Old 02-27-2008, 09:46 AM   #4
Brian Wilson

Profile:

Carl - read the Start Here section and look through the FAQ.

I'm 6'1, 212 and have been CFing for 16 months. When I started I was in the same boat as you and Wes, just getting smoked by a lot of stuff.

Realize that your body is designed to do these movements, even HSPU. Like Wes is doing, you can do bodyweight stuff everyday, and you will progress quickly. So start the CrossFit Warmup (check the FAQ), scale it to where you're at, and do it before every workout. This will build a great base for you.

For things like HSPU, you just need to find something to hook your feet on and/or just do a decline pushup. You want your torso to be as upright as possible, but start with the decline pushup, gradually move up to hooking your feet on something (Smith Machines are great for this), then start working the actual HSPU against a wall.

Most importantly, have fun!

Brian
Old 02-27-2008, 10:01 AM   #5
John Devine

Profile:

Maybe us big, tall, fat guys who can't do pull ups can start a support group! I'm the same size as Wes. I'm not even close to being able to do a PU. I'm using elastic bands at my house, the gravitron at the gym and I just got a door gym for the office where I'll do jumping push ups all in an effort to GTG. (Darn - just realized the door gym is too narrow - I'll need to buy the extension). Also only 2 weeks into it.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:04 AM   #6
Matt Parkins

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Pawluk View Post
What's the method to the madness that is the WOD?

Is there a specific order of muscles worked per day? If I'm doing Crossfit, will I hit my muscle groups equally throughout the week? Doesn't seem to hit chest much.
Coach is a brilliant man and has a wealth of knowledge. Go to the exercises/demos link on the home page and watch some of the lecture clips.

Sometimes the WODs hurt, but I don't think Coach would steer us wrong
Old 02-28-2008, 01:36 AM   #7
Wes Goldsberry

Profile:

John,
We'll have to settle for a support group for taller folk. If we make it a support group for big, tall and fat we'll never get anyone to stick around if they drop the fat
Old 02-28-2008, 05:57 AM   #8
Tom Brose

Profile:

Brian is correct, the first thing to do is study the "Starting" and "FAQ" sections, as well as all the Journal articles posted. In the sense of a traditional bodybuilding split, there is no specific order to muscles worked. The WOD is constantly varied, and often will work the whole body in repeated efforts. It confuses newcomers, so the "we did legs yesterday" or "how can we recover if we do pullups every day" threads become common. My favorite was someone who wrote that they were a personal trainer, and our approach to pullups couldn't work. By the way, they hadn't tried it (because it couldn't work), and also they could not actually do pullups (says alot about their superior theory).

As for doing challenging bodyweight movements, there is no way around it. Yes, you are being punished for carrying more weight than you can move. Get stronger and lighter. In the mean time, learn the subs. Check out the scaled WOD at Brand X, and keep asking questions.

Also, I would avoid going to failure in the CFWU. Scale back a bit, especially on movements that will be repeated in the WOD.

Welcome to CrossFit!
Old 02-28-2008, 11:10 AM   #9
Carl Pawluk

Profile:

Thanks guys! I think that Tom nailed it on the head. I'm confused on the ol' "We did legs yesterday!" type excersize theory.

I've read the Start Here stuff, although a little late. I did Tuesdays workout (on Wednesday)to Rx. I probably should have done the scaled back version.

Since I did Tues' workout on Wed, I'm supposed to rest today. However, I would like to get on schedule with everyone else, so I want to do todays workout and just scale it back. I'm a little worried about my lower back doing the Sumo deadlifts since my lower back is whipped from all of the back extensions yesterday. Any thoughts?

Oh, on rest days is a light jog to burn some calories ok, or are we talking rest-rest?

Thanks again for the help guys. I'm really excited to be here and look forward to the training and the blogs.
Old 02-28-2008, 02:59 PM   #10
Ryan Jones

Profile:

I think you'd be better of walking on the rest day. You'll still burn calories and fat, while letting the tank refill for the next 3 day schedule.