CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 11-28-2007, 07:24 AM   #1
Jeran Kuenzie

Profile:
New; can only do CF 3 days a week.

Hi everybody. I've been lifting weights for several years off and on, more seriously the past year. I am a soccer nut. Glad to be here and excited about CF. Now, for my dilemma....

I can only make it to the gym 3 days per week. How am I supposed to do CF with that type of schedule?

Hitting it after work is the only option. I have no gym equipment at my house, just a 60lb bag in the basement (that I have no type of formal training for).

Is there some type of 3 day split? I just don't feel that a WOD 3 days a week is going to do it for me.

I have been focusing on strength over the past year and doing a lot of low rep, high weight type work. I focus on the big 3, deadlifts, squats, and bench. I prefer compound movements and do very little isolation work. That is part of why CF is so appealing to me.... it looks like lots of compound stuff. I'm sad to say my cardio has been severely lacking lately, so I know that will be an issue at first.

Any suggestions for me? Glad to be here....
Old 11-28-2007, 09:29 AM   #2
Jared Ashley

Profile:
Re: New; can only do CF 3 days a week.

I think you'll find that although you are probably strong from your current lifting, crossfit will be MUCH more taxing, and 3 WOD/week will provide you with gains, especially in cardio since you're saying it's a weak area right now. If you absolutely can't get to the gym more than 3 days a week, I'd say pick up a few low-cost items for home and do what you can the other days. You'll find you really don't need much; I work out 100% at home, with only the following:

- Homemade squat cage with pullup bar
- standard barbell & plates
- spin-lock adjustable dumbells
- a cheap ($100) incline/decline bench
- a swiss ball

I do dips and box jumps on chairs, sit-ups with my feet anchored in a couch, back extensions on a swiss ball, KB stuff with dumbells... The only items I'm really feel I'm lacking are a set of rings (haven't gotten around to making them from PVC yet) and bumper plates. A jumprope and a homemade plyo box are also on my list. But hell, you won't find any of that except MAYBE the jumprope in most gyms anyway.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:32 AM   #3
Tim Newsome

Profile:

If you can only do CF 3 days a week, do it 3 days a week! I have injuries that prevent me from working out as much as I'd like. Every day that I can, I just do that day's WOD (or yesterday's, if it's a rest day). This has worked out well for me, and I'm definitely stronger for it.

As to a lack of equipment. After doing CF for a while, finding subs etc, I think you'll find that you can do a lot with little or no equipment. Cheap store weight sets (even cheaper used) might not be enough for serious lifting, but they're fine for adding some weight to thrusters, pull ups, DB swings, etc.

Tim
Old 11-28-2007, 01:04 PM   #4
Robin Owens

Profile:

I am in a similar boat. I can workout more but really enjoy my 3 day a week schedule. Do you think if I switch from my current full body routine and running afterwards that I will get as much benefit from doing the WOD 3 days a week?
I just don't see it but I also have not tried it. How do I ensure balance in my lifting with this method?
Old 11-28-2007, 01:22 PM   #5
Steven Low

Profile:

You can do bodyweight workouts at home you know...

All you need is a pullup bar or rings and you can do simplefit stuff easily.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:26 PM   #6
Robin Owens

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
You can do bodyweight workouts at home you know...

All you need is a pullup bar or rings and you can do simplefit stuff easily.

Yes. I actually do a lot of bodyweight work. But how does Crossfit fit into a 3 day a week schedule? How does it compare to a full body routine and cardio work? When doing a full body routine I feel comfortable about hitting everything and not neglecting groups. Can I feel the same way doing the WOD 3 days a week?
Old 11-28-2007, 02:00 PM   #7
Jeran Kuenzie

Profile:

I'm the same boat as Robin. I've been doing my balanced, full-body type weekly routines for so long, I'm worried about "hitting everything as needed".

Perhaps I just need to change my mentality.

I understand bodyweight exercises are better than nothing, but I'm still stuck in the groove that if there isn't weight involved, I'm not gaining strength and size. I'm only gaining endurance (which I'll admit has its benefits, its just not at the top of my list).

Edit: Regardless, I'm going to give CF a go for a month and then go from there...
I guess I can always add in exercises for groups that I feel might be lacking.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:27 PM   #8
Steven Low

Profile:

WODs mainly focus on overall general physical preparedness. They will develop your muscles to have excellent endurance, and some gains in strength and hypertrophy if you're not already huge. If you want to add in strength work, you usually do it on other days. Search max effort black box template for more on this.

For the past few months all I've been doing is strength cycles with bodyweight exercises. All I need is a pullup bar and rings and I can do pretty much anything I want. Bodyweight is not just endurance.. if you need strength progressions I can give them to you. Most gymnasts develop their strength from primarily bodyweight exercises, and they're some of the strongest strength to bodyweight athletes on the planet.

Last edited by Steven Low : 11-28-2007 at 03:36 PM.
Old 11-28-2007, 05:20 PM   #9
Robin Owens

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
WODs mainly focus on overall general physical preparedness. They will develop your muscles to have excellent endurance, and some gains in strength and hypertrophy if you're not already huge. If you want to add in strength work, you usually do it on other days. Search max effort black box template for more on this.

For the past few months all I've been doing is strength cycles with bodyweight exercises. All I need is a pullup bar and rings and I can do pretty much anything I want. Bodyweight is not just endurance.. if you need strength progressions I can give them to you. Most gymnasts develop their strength from primarily bodyweight exercises, and they're some of the strongest strength to bodyweight athletes on the planet.
Thanks Steven. I just started a new Power Training routine and some running I want to give a go thorugh the end of the year. I am making a goal of adding in some WOD's at the start of the year in one way or another. Perhaps just a Saturday thing for me at first. Crossfit is a whole new realm of training I have not taken into consideration in the past.
Old 11-29-2007, 06:44 AM   #10
Jeran Kuenzie

Profile:

Good call about gymnasts and their strength. I'll search for the black box stuff. I'm in the same place as Robin in that "Crossfit is a whole new realm of training I have not taken into consideration in the past".

I did Elizabeth last night (modified to meet my noobness) and it kicked my arse! So, I plan to focus on WODs for now and slowly mix in more strength work slowly. I'm definitely not huge, so most anything will help. I'm hoping the CF addition will help me get to that next level.

Thanks again for the help and comments!