CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 11-14-2007, 10:57 AM   #1
Andy Armstrong

Profile:
Hello from the UK

Hello all,

thought its about time i said a hello. I have been reading the boards for some time now and love the crossfit 'way'. I have trained in muay thai for about 4 years, and have done a little mma along with various others. I am a full time firefighter, and a qualified fitness instructor/personal trainer.

I have also got a serious fitness gadget fetish and find myself spending my money on all sorts of equipment (none off the shopping channel!)

Although I am unlikely to ever follow the WODs I am keen on your training methods and there carryover to most sports and jobs such as mine.

Anyway thats me, hope to here from you all soon.

Andy
Old 11-14-2007, 05:24 PM   #2
David Wood

Profile:

Re: Hello from the UK

Andy, welcome!

Pure curiosity . . . why are you unlikely to follow the WODs?

(No problem with that . . . obvioiusly, people can pick and choose what they want . . . just curious why you wouldn't want to try them out as written).
Old 11-15-2007, 01:06 AM   #3
David Easton

Profile:

Hi Andy.... welcome!

Have you checked out any of the UK affiliates
CrossFit Central Scotland
CrossFit North East England
CrossFit Manchester
CrossFit London
CrossFit Derby
CrossFit Ireland (not technically UK, I know!)
Old 11-15-2007, 04:59 AM   #4
Chris Hill

Profile:

Hey Andy,

I'm not far from you in Norfolk......its a shame we don't a crossfit affiliate near us. I've just started crossfitting and am loving it, why do you think your not likely to do the WOD.......and just as importantly what gadgets do you have?
Old 11-15-2007, 11:02 AM   #5
Andy Armstrong

Profile:

Thanks for the welcoming guys.

DavidW, In all my training life I have never followed a routine written by anyone else exactly, just because I like blending together my own, but there are other problems I have with it too. I train in three different gyms- a commercial gym of which I am a member, the fire station gym, and my home gym(see below). Some of the places I train just won't have the right kit at the right time which I know isnt a major problem but its not ideal. Also my muay thai class like most has a heavy emphasis on fitness, not to mention the fact that my instructor is a sadist! 100 various i.e (divebomer, gecko, plyo, standard)push ups, 100 crunches, 100 burpees/hindu squats is a favourite 'warmup' of his. With this in mind it is not really a good idea for me to be doing any pushing movement the next day to allow for recovery. I have learnt to be flexible with my own routines to allow rest days when needed, leaving out exercises when needed etc.

DavidE, thankyou for the welcome and for the links, I'll check them out.

Chris, I know what you mean. Its unusual to hear of anyone who likes hitting tires with sledge hammers, dragging things, olympic rings and all the other strange stuff associated with crossfit. So to have a facility nearby that sees it as the norm would be great. As for gadgets well...... I've got the ironmind racks with dip bars and pullup bars, a hotgym, a set of elite power block dumbells, 2x32 kg IF kettlebells and a 40 and 45kg too, powerblock bench, loads of (ironmind, rbs etc) grippers, rock rings, a 140kg barbell set sat rusting in the garden, tons of hex dumbells aquired as a lucky find from the local scrapyard, a massive truck tire and sledge, a powerball, and a set of elite rings on the way. Got a few other bits and pieces but thats the bulk of it. Unfortunatly its all dotted around the house at the moment but I'm hoping to build a gym in the garden soon.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:16 PM   #6
Leon Robotham

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Armstrong View Post
Thanks for the welcoming guys.

DavidW, In all my training life I have never followed a routine written by anyone else exactly, just because I like blending together my own, but there are other problems I have with it too. I train in three different gyms- a commercial gym of which I am a member, the fire station gym, and my home gym(see below). Some of the places I train just won't have the right kit at the right time which I know isnt a major problem but its not ideal. Also my muay thai class like most has a heavy emphasis on fitness, not to mention the fact that my instructor is a sadist! 100 various i.e (divebomer, gecko, plyo, standard)push ups, 100 crunches, 100 burpees/hindu squats is a favourite 'warmup' of his. With this in mind it is not really a good idea for me to be doing any pushing movement the next day to allow for recovery. I have learnt to be flexible with my own routines to allow rest days when needed, leaving out exercises when needed etc.

DavidE, thankyou for the welcome and for the links, I'll check them out.

Chris, I know what you mean. Its unusual to hear of anyone who likes hitting tires with sledge hammers, dragging things, olympic rings and all the other strange stuff associated with crossfit. So to have a facility nearby that sees it as the norm would be great. As for gadgets well...... I've got the ironmind racks with dip bars and pullup bars, a hotgym, a set of elite power block dumbells, 2x32 kg IF kettlebells and a 40 and 45kg too, powerblock bench, loads of (ironmind, rbs etc) grippers, rock rings, a 140kg barbell set sat rusting in the garden, tons of hex dumbells aquired as a lucky find from the local scrapyard, a massive truck tire and sledge, a powerball, and a set of elite rings on the way. Got a few other bits and pieces but thats the bulk of it. Unfortunatly its all dotted around the house at the moment but I'm hoping to build a gym in the garden soon.
Andy

I've trained in MT for many years under Kru Barry Norman of the Sor Thanikul Camp which is in direct lineage of the Master A and Toddy Camp. We have had and have many champions, European, British, English and world at all different weights. Our trainer used to be into standard GPP but now advocates CF, the wise choice. The reason he decided to do this was because the likes of myself and others were smoking people left right and centre in the stamina and sparring by a rather large margin.

If you're active in the fight game you will know some of our fighters and will note their conditioning, when I'm in the gym most guys will do what i'm doing on that day which is quite often whatever is on the main page or a mod of that and other than that we have a list of all the CF metcons in the gym and pick and choose whatever the fitness session will be for that day.

Try the wods on the main page and enjoy levels of fitness that you will not reach without them, cycle in and out of it if you like to suit your needs.

BTW IF bells IMO are the biz!
Old 11-15-2007, 04:20 PM   #7
Andy Armstrong

Profile:

Thanks for your reply Leon, good to see another MT guy on here. I am in no doubt as to the effectivness of CF. I just don't think it would be right for me to do say a workout with a ton of pressups today when I have just been beasted with them the night before at my MT class if that makes sense. I will try one of the wods on a suitable day say after a rest day and let you know how I get on. Here goes.

IF bells definatly rule, Stan is one of the good guys in the world.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:30 AM   #8
Leon Robotham

Profile:

No problem Andy.

Stan is a really sound guy, i'm a senior KB instructor of his and also good friend. I'm actually going up to train with himon the 25th along with Davie Easton and a few other guys. If you want to train sometime in the future drop me a pm and it can be arranged.

Leon.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:09 AM   #9
Andy Armstrong

Profile:

Stan has been a great help to me in the past whenever I put in an order on the phone he would always chat for ages giving me training advice. Thanks for the offer on training, if I am ever up that neck of the woods I'll let you know. Likewise if you ever find yourself in the Cambridge area look me up. We've got some great muay thai and mma clubs around here and I am soon to be building a crossfit/hardcore lifting gym in my back garden, the training possibilities are endless.
Old 11-16-2007, 01:45 PM   #10
Leon Robotham

Profile:

Yep, definately a good man.

If i'm ever in Cambridge I'll look you up fella. Until then...