CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 07-05-2012, 01:19 PM   #1
Henry Amen

Profile:
Tabata?

Our coach has us do “Tabatas” consisting mainly of running or rowing, as part of a “Carido” day. We go through a cycle (something like):
8x20:10// 10x20:10 [one week Tuesday Thursday]
8x30:10 // 10x30:10 // 8x40:10 [next week Monday Wednesday Friday]
10x40:10 // 8x 50:10 [next week Tuesday Thursday]
10x50:10 // 8x60:10 // 10x60:10 [next week Monday Wednesday Friday]

I know these are different compared to the standard “Tabata” of 8x20:10.

Is this good/bad/does not matter/effective/ineffective?
Old 07-05-2012, 01:33 PM   #2
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:
Re: Tabata?

why not ask your coach that has you doing it?

if it's not the standars 8x20:10 then it isn't tabata. but there are tons of ways to do intervals. not sure why all of the rests are 10 seconds though? there are all sorts of different work to rest ratios to use for different things. again, the best thing to do is ask your coach
Old 07-05-2012, 01:59 PM   #3
Max Salmen

Profile:

Tabata was the name of the Doc who did the most widely accepted study on the effectiveness of intervals compared to LSD cardio. That study was done with the 20 sec on 10 sec off for 8 rounds format.

The principle is the same for many other interval workouts, if your on intervals start to exceed 120 sec then you might want to evaluate. Variety is the spice of life, and I hear spice is good for health.

Also keep in mind that you need to be going as hard as you possibly can for that on interval, if you are cashed before the end of it shorten your intervals
Old 07-07-2012, 01:40 PM   #4
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Amen View Post
Is this good/bad/does not matter/effective/ineffective?
You can rule out bad.

How effective it will be remains to be seen. The question will be can you maintain a high enough level of intensity on the longer work, shorter rest intervals. I'm going to guess no. As intensity drops off the value of interval training of this type diminishes.

My gym is in AZ. Every summer we have special projects to replace most of our outdoor running (no fun to run when it is 110+ out). This summer we are doing "Tabata This" twice a month for 5 months. Our experience on the row portion of this is even our very best athletes tend to take their low number in the 6th round. I believe this is a sign of lack of recovery during the 10 sec. provided.

The deficit builds up and by the 6th row we can't go any harder. Then because our intensity has dropped off we actually recover some during the 6th row and are able to go faster in 7 and 8. I expect the truly fit individual should have a steady drop off from first to eighth interval with the 8th being the slowest.

So watch your distances covered during the intervals to detect whether the intervals are effective. If you see an erratic pattern of highs and lows then probably not so effective.

All this doesn't mean it is a bad workout. It will be mentally tough if nothing else.