CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 11-15-2011, 05:49 PM   #1
David Hare

Profile:
New Rogue bar - packaging question

I ordered a Rogue bar and after the first one got lost by UPS, the second one finally arrived today. I was surprised to find that the bar was shipped in a tube with no end caps. Thus, the ends on both sides are all scratched up. Picture is attached.

Is this normal for a higher end bar? I would expect this baby to be wrapped up pretty good. Just wanted to get some feedback from others before I talked with Rogue about replacements.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rogue_bar.jpg
Views:	2152
Size:	250.0 KB
ID:	8592  
Old 11-15-2011, 06:14 PM   #2
Ben Norris

Profile:
Re: New Rogue bar - packaging question

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hare View Post
I ordered a Rogue bar and after the first one got lost by UPS, the second one finally arrived today. I was surprised to find that the bar was shipped in a tube with no end caps. Thus, the ends on both sides are all scratched up. Picture is attached.

Is this normal for a higher end bar? I would expect this baby to be wrapped up pretty good. Just wanted to get some feedback from others before I talked with Rogue about replacements.
First off let me say I would be very surprised if Rogue shipped the bar without any end caps.

Secondly I think Rogue has had an issue with UPS treating stuff quite poorly resulting in bars turning up with scratches as a result of UPS.

Thirdly the bearing bar I ordered (not from Rogue, from some aussie company) turned up with about half the bar still in packaging and the bearings were damaged as a result. I used the bar for about 3 months before it broke and sent it back and got a new one. This time the bar only was hanging out by about 5 inches. Little bit of damage on one end but it was only cosmetic.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:20 PM   #3
Thom Wendelboe

Profile:

I had one end cap missing on the bar I had shipped to Canada. Just cosmetic damage as far as I could tell, I wasn't really concerned. One of the bumper plate boxes had disintegrated. The squat stand appeared to have survived intact.

On the other hand, shipping for everything was free and the prices were ridiculously good. Everything works. I can't complain.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:47 PM   #4
Jay Mulder

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom Wendelboe View Post
I had one end cap missing on the bar I had shipped to Canada. Just cosmetic damage as far as I could tell, I wasn't really concerned.
Yup, exactly the same thing here. Seems pretty common, but not a huge concern. The bar has a lifetime warranty and is made to be dropped so no worries.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:29 PM   #5
Jared Ashley

Profile:

my rogue bar came in identical packaging... except it had end caps. This is a UPS issue, not a Rogue issue.
Old 11-16-2011, 02:44 AM   #6
Ben Norris

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Ashley View Post
my rogue bar came in identical packaging... except it had end caps. This is a UPS issue, not a Rogue issue.
This.

I can remember a while ago Bill talking about how Rogue were looking at ways to strengthen the end caps in shipping as UPS tend to treat stuff like sh*t and seem to have a habit or breaking stuff.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:38 AM   #7
David Hare

Profile:

Thanks for the replies. My concern is the bar must have been banged around pretty good for both ends to be chipped up that badly, so I want to ensure the bar is still in great shape. Also, if I'm being charged for shipping & handling, I expect the package to arrive in good condition.

I understand this might be a UPS issue, but Rogue is still the seller, and is ultimately responsible.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:58 AM   #8
Patrick Scott

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Ashley View Post
A little over a year ago now, I bought Rogue's old "beater bar" equivalent (may have been a low end pendlay) on closeout. I believe it was $150 +$25 shipping. When I recieved it, the packaging looked even worse than the pic above. The tube did have one end cap on it, but the other one was gone, resulting in the bar sliding in and out of the tube freely. It did have a lot of scratches on the sleeves though. Luckily, the damage to the bar seems to have been cosmetic only. But yes, at first I was suprised that Rougue would pacakge things this way, but I've spoken to a few people and they all agree this is a UPS issue, not Rogue.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:19 AM   #9
Alex Saveski

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hare View Post
I understand this might be a UPS issue, but Rogue is still the seller, and is ultimately responsible.
Dave: I agree with you. If you are paying for a new bar that is exactly what you should receive.

This is most certainly a Rogue issue as it is a known problem that Bill has commented on in other threads. It is the seller's responsibility to ensure that their product is adequately protected during transit. Clearly the packaging they are using is insufficient. On two occasions I've received a Pendlay HD bar from Muscle Driver via UPS with no issues because they ship the bar and cardboard tube (with endcaps) in a box with several layers of tape around the ends to make sure it doesn't open. My DHS training bar came in a cardboard box with molded Styrofoam surrounding it. Other companies have figured out how to ship bars without having them arrive damaged. Why can't Rogue?
Old 11-16-2011, 08:38 AM   #10
William Henniger

Profile:

You bought the bar from Rogue and it will be replaced by Rogue, all you have to do is send us a pic.

The evolution of bar packaging: plastic end caps, plastic plus duct tape, metal end caps, metal plust duct tape, heavy duty metal, heavy duty metal plus duct tape and now the latest which is heavy metal with crimped end.

We are finding that if they are not crimped well they will come out when the UPS folks javelin throw them. We increased the wall thickness enough to protect the bar but the end caps are still an issue.

The reason we try to avoid adding another box is to reduce the cost. The Rogue bar sells for $275 with comparable bars at $349, we battle that issue daily.

Again if you get a dinged up bar, we will send you a new bar without question.

Sorry for the issue and from the email chains it looks like UPS knew they screwed this one up. I will have Talor get the ball rolling on our end.

Thanks,

Bill