CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-18-2009, 08:58 AM   #11
Jacob Cloud

Profile:
Re: CF WOD + CFFB Strength WOD

You sound like a good candidate for MEBB (if you don't know about this, search here, there's a lot of great info) or finding an affiliate who focuses more on strength, and following their programming. I've heard the Bainbridges come up in discussions like this many times - you can find their programming here: http://www.crossfitfredericton.com/w...f-the-day-wod/ (WFS)

If, as you mentioned, you can do two WODs per day a couple times a week, you could easily incorporate a version of MEBB with some simple 5 linear work on the big lifts. IE, just follow the .com WODS, and throw in 2-3x5 squats on Monday, 3x5 presses on Wed, and 1x5 Deads on Friday, etc. No need to get too fancy.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:46 AM   #12
Departed

Profile:  

Bryan,

Jacob beat me to it. His idea is a great one. The other way to go about it is just to only have the metcon scheduled and then that day decide which heavy lift you want to do. Keep a log of what lift you do with what rep scheme on day X and then you can just go back and see that it's been a week since you did heavy squats so you'll do heavy squats today, etc., etc. Does that make sense at all?
Old 09-18-2009, 10:56 AM   #13
Bryan Kemper

Profile:

Jacob,

thanks for the info on MEBB. That really looks like the direction that I want to head. I have read a bit, but will do some more research.

Bryan
Old 09-18-2009, 11:08 AM   #14
Bryan Kemper

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gedicks View Post
Bryan,

Jacob beat me to it. His idea is a great one. The other way to go about it is just to only have the metcon scheduled and then that day decide which heavy lift you want to do. Keep a log of what lift you do with what rep scheme on day X and then you can just go back and see that it's been a week since you did heavy squats so you'll do heavy squats today, etc., etc. Does that make sense at all?
Chris,

That makes sense as well....more of the KISS method (Keep it simple stupid). I had three days of additional strength work (BP 2R per minute for 15 min, 20R BS, 5x3 DL) in addition to four girls (Diane, Helen, Fran with over 4 min improvement, Grace with 2:30 improvement) and Daniel. The PRs on Fran and Grace felt awesome!!!! I feel good so far, but will not be bound to the schedule so much that I avoid additional rest days if necessary.

Bryan

Last edited by Bryan Kemper : 09-18-2009 at 11:19 AM.
Old 09-18-2009, 12:17 PM   #15
Danielle Marcellino

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Kemper View Post
I am contemplating incorporating the CF Football strength WOD into my CF WODs. I compiled all of the August WODs and the CFFB Offseason Amateur Strength WODs to see how difficult the program would be. There are weeks were the rest days for both match up, but then others to where they don't. I feel that if I listen to how my body is feeling and force myself to cut out a WOD/SWOD and create a full rest day or two that I would be able to stick with the program. My main goal is to continue the WODs but build strength at the same without having to create a strength program on my own (own of my historical fitness downfalls....).

Personal info: Crossfitting since Dec08, regular 5-6x per week, lost 25 lbs since Nov 08, Excellent (93.75) AF PT test in May 09, two half-marathons this year, CF NW Qualifier.

Thanks,

Bryan
Bryan,
My brother and i have been doing exactly that.. SWOD amature off, and the cf wods and its working great. alittle extra soreness but nothing TOO unmanageable. we have been doing the fbswods for about 2 months so far and i feel like ive made big gains in strength (which i needed) about a 30 lb jump in my deadlifts and about 10 in my pushpress (i was stagnant for a long time, i was getting discouraged and the 10 lbs for me was a HUUGE leap on my pushpress). anywho. just thought id share, i say go for it.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:08 PM   #16
Alex McRobie

Profile:

Bryan,
did you compile both the CFFB strength WOD and CF WOD in a document?
i would be very interested to have a look if you could show me?

I reckon you would benefit from doing a single linear progression lift before most workouts and rotating between the 3 core lifts.

try CF fredericton as Jacob Cloud mentioned,
if you want strength, that WORKS
Old 09-18-2009, 11:44 PM   #17
Bryan Kemper

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex McRobie View Post
Bryan,
did you compile both the CFFB strength WOD and CF WOD in a document?
i would be very interested to have a look if you could show me?

I reckon you would benefit from doing a single linear progression lift before most workouts and rotating between the 3 core lifts.

try CF fredericton as Jacob Cloud mentioned,
if you want strength, that WORKS

Alex,

Check out my post in entry #6 above. There is a Word document that I compiled the Aug CF WODs and the Amateur CFFB Offseason SWOD. I moved the SWODs around a day here and then to match up with a 3/1 work:rest schedule. I don't think that this schedule is the best after looking at the MEBB info ,CF fredericton and the Performance Menu MEBB article. I think that combining MEBB/CF WODs is what I need for my desired strength gains. When looking at the initial schedule, there were too many back to back days with the same lift or heavy lifts on killer WOD days (5RM DL and FGB....)

Bryan
Old 09-23-2009, 01:36 PM   #18
Patrick Skinner

Profile:

Bryan:
http://albanycrossfit.com/
scroll down, there is currently and error on the page.
They have a strength portion daily. Then they have either a mainsite WOD or a CFFB style met con after. Sounds exactly like what you are looking for.

The only thing is they do not schedule in rest days, so you need to take your own.