CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 01-20-2012, 10:48 AM   #11
Stu Christensen

Profile:
Re: Advice, Motivation, & Encouraging words--PLEASE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brittany Miller View Post
I'm 22, 5'6'' and I'm not sure my weight is relevant. I just started CrossFit Jan 3rd. For the 4 1/2 months prior to CrossFit, I did "Bootcamp" as a group exercise thing. We strictly only did body weight exercises. When I first started, it was tough. I absolutely loved it. Enjoyed it. 5:00 in the morning was always the Highlight of my day! Then... I just hit a wall. It was all becoming too easy. I had become as fit as I could be doing Bootcamp.

Switched to Crossfit. I had done a couple of the WODs at the local area and just loved it. I was finally being challenged.

Since I've never worked with weights, all of this is new to me. I get so frustrated when I can't do the prescribed weight because I'm too weak--more like embarassing.

My goals: I want to get cut. Be lean. I want to be strong AND be able to go run 10 miles.

The number one thing I get frustrated with the most is pull-ups. I get the kip down, but my lack of strength really shows when it's time to pull myself up.

How long should I expect to see any results regarding my goals? --Don't worry about my eating-I'm strict paleo and eat veryyy clean.
Tips for when I get frustrated?
I haven't read other replies...but my first bet would be your diet. Don't eat so clean....TOO clean can hinder progress.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:58 AM   #12
Brittany Miller

Profile:

The guy that did the skin fold test used to be a body builder and his wife (bootcamp coach) has been in multiple physique competitions. So he has done the test a few hundred times. I want to be cut at some point, so I guess by lean I should really say muscular--but I don't want to bulk. I want to be firm.

A journal is a great idea- I've kind of kept a record of the frustrating workouts that I seem to struggle with the most so I will know if I have improved in a few months.

My diet consists strictly of meats, any and all veggies, and protein smoothies with berries and a banana after my daily workout. The smoothies are really the non-paleo and only thing non-paleo is the whey protein. Any tips on additional ingredients. I've read "The Paleo Solution" and I'm a Biology major--so eating not clean scares me. But if it will get me the results I want and am busting my butt for... I will try anything.

I want to be in a swimsuit or just in clothes... and have people think--yea, she works out.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:48 AM   #13
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

At your current height/weight/bodyfat, if people can't tell you work out it's probably because you have little or no muscle mass. Getting stronger on the big lifts should fix that problem.

But judging by your last post your goals are to be lean/firm/cut rather than to get stronger and fitter--in that case CF or most other S&C programs are not for you, since they're geared towards performance. You'd be better off eating and training like a figure competitor or bodybuilder.

Then again your goals sound pretty conflicted so I'm not exactly sure what you're going for--in one breath you're complaining about being weak, then you say you want to get lean which you equate to muscular, then you say you don't want to bulk but that you just want to be firm. Getting firm requires stronger muscles, which likely means increased muscle mass. There's no such thing as "firming or toning" muscles, despite what the creators of the ShakeWeight and Thighmaster would like you to believe. Muscles get stronger or weaker, to paraphrase Rip.

There's no magic ingredients you can put in a smoothie that will get you to your goals.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:57 AM   #14
Brittany Miller

Profile:

Ok... Maybe you would have to see me to understand how I talk when talking about my body and goals. I do want to get stronger but I dont want to become a body builder in the sense of size. I want to get cut.. which I understand may mean bulking up a bit (which I'm okay with), but I don't want to have the body of a man, I still want to keep a little femininity. I know it doesn't make sense. I explain it the only way I describe what I know. I dont know the proper lingo-obviously.

I've never bought into the shakeweight or thighmaster for that matter.

Additional ingredients to my diet in general.** Sorry I should've specified. Not just my smoothie. I've heard of peanut butter being an absolute in people's diets.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:03 PM   #15
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

The good news is that you're not going to suddenly look like a bodybuilder unless you eat, train, and "supplement" specifically for it. Women just don't have the testosterone necessary to put on that kind of muscle mass naturally.

Look up some pictures (and training statistics) of some of the high-placing women in the CF Games...some that come to my mind are Camille Leblanc, Katie Hogan, Julie Foucher, and Becca Voigt. Are they what you'd like to look and perform like? They clearly train, but don't look grotesque in any way.

If you want to look and perform like them, you'll want to lift heavy and do CF-style conditioning workouts while eating enough to fuel your activity, recovery, and put on some lean mass. They probably don't care too much what their bodyfat percentage is, just about getting stronger and faster.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:23 PM   #16
Brittany Miller

Profile:

Yes!!! Camille Leblanc-bazinet is a perfect model of what i want to look and perform like! The ability to move heavy weights--but not have to be humongous to do so! Julie Foucher & Becca Voigt would be the second preferences. I'm not too concerned with body fat either... but because of the type of activity I was doing at the bootcamp--it was an easy measurement to track vs the scale.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:46 PM   #17
Max Salmen

Profile:

Quote:
Yes!!! Camille Leblanc-bazinet is a perfect model of what i want to look and perform like! The ability to move heavy weights--but not have to be humongous to do so! Julie Foucher & Becca Voigt would be the second preferences. I'm not too concerned with body fat either... but because of the type of activity I was doing at the bootcamp--it was an easy measurement to track vs the scale.

Brittany,

So long as you are doing CF MetCons 2-3 times per week and not using GNC style supplements there is simply no way your body will take on a "masculine look" from lifting. It is great that you are off the Scale watching, but bodyfat is highly inaccurate unless you are in a dunk tank. Go get yourself a pair of jeans that are a little too snug but you can still get them on, hide them in your closet and take them out once a month to compare.

In terms of looking like you're lean - I just got back into serious weights along with crossfit in July after 2 years of focusing on running. Since then I have gained about 15 lbs (225 from 210), yet everyone I see on a regular basis is commenting on how much weight I have lost.

If you want to look like an athlete - be an athlete. If you want to look like a bodybuilder -be a bodybuilder.

Way to go on sticking with your program though, and especially the long term 5am stuff that is a commitment that shows true dedication.

Hope to see you in the 2013 CF games
Old 01-20-2012, 12:52 PM   #18
Brittany Miller

Profile:

[quote=Max Salmen;1025389]

So long as you are doing CF MetCons 2-3 times per week and not using GNC style supplements there is simply no way your body will take on a "masculine look" from lifting. It is great that you are off the Scale watching, but bodyfat is highly inaccurate unless you are in a dunk tank. Go get yourself a pair of jeans that are a little too snug but you can still get them on, hide them in your closet and take them out once a month to compare. /QUOTE]

This may be a silly question... what are MetCons. For the past 3 weeks I've been doing the WODs 6 days a week with Sunday being my rest day. That too much?

I'm telling you--I'm not working out for nothing. I have goals, and will do whatever it takes to achieve them. That's just how my mom raised me. I am very goal oriented: if I have nothing to work toward, it gets boring.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:38 PM   #19
Brittany Miller

Profile:

Metabolic Conditioning--Nevermind!

I just do the WODs the coach has me do. She said she does not think that I'm over-training, because I did have concerns about that.

She did say that I'm too hard on myself--but it's more of a disappointment that I have the energy levels and the determination and the drive to do all of the workout--but the strength gets me every time!
Old 01-20-2012, 01:55 PM   #20
Dustin Wintczak

Profile:

Quote:
Metabolic Conditioning--Nevermind!

I just do the WODs the coach has me do. She said she does not think that I'm over-training, because I did have concerns about that.

She did say that I'm too hard on myself--but it's more of a disappointment that I have the energy levels and the determination and the drive to do all of the workout--but the strength gets me every time!
Having the self awareness to know you're over-training is kind of like knowing the difference between being hurt and being injured. If you feel like you're over-training because you're feeling tired, run-down, or beat up. Then listen to your body and stop, despite what you're coach may tell you.

Just as a few other folks have said, the strength will come with more barbell/strength work. I'm guessing your programming is heavy on the MetCons. You need tell your coach you want to get stronger and not just train MetCons. Something that integrates dedicated squats/deadlifts/clean/bench work etc. before your WOD or MetCon. Unless you're eating like a horse you won't get bulky so no worries there. Good luck!