CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 12-26-2011, 10:56 PM   #41
Chris Mason

Profile:
Re: Westside Made Easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Ashley View Post
Yes please.

In particular, I'd love to see a list of accessory lifts and what they specifically improve.

i.e. If you're having trouble locking out your press, do this...
if the sticking point on your press is at eyeball level, do this...
if you fail deadlifts on the ground, do this...
if you fail deadlifts at the knees, do this...
Jared, not sure about addressing all of that in this article. I am trying to present the template and the underlying reasoning for it. I want someone to be able to read the article and then be able to implement a Westside program.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:49 AM   #42
Boris Bachmann

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Ashley View Post
Yes please.

In particular, I'd love to see a list of accessory lifts and what they specifically improve.

i.e. If you're having trouble locking out your press, do this...
if the sticking point on your press is at eyeball level, do this...
if you fail deadlifts on the ground, do this...
if you fail deadlifts at the knees, do this...
There are many of these on the internet. Consolidating them should not be a big deal.

The problem is that, despite what we ALL want to believe, sometimes it's not as easy as finding the one or two magic accessory exercises to push our numbers to elite status.

I'll look into making a list of links though.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:57 AM   #43
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

Boris makes a great point.

You might have 3 guys who are stuck coming off the chest. Despite having the same problem, based on their individual body types, fiber types, previous training experience etc. they all might need different exercises to fix it. One might benefit from band work, another might benefit from db bench presses and the other might have to do cambered bar benches.

This also applies to building the big lifts, some people get good results from good mornings, others safety bar squats etc. But there isn't a magicl exercise that solves everyones squat problem.

As a guideline, you follow the path of those who have been there, but after a cycle or so, if it ain't working, you need to try something else.
Old 12-27-2011, 12:36 PM   #44
Donald Lee

Profile:

I recommend Mike Tuscherer's newest DVD, which goes into exercise selection and programming for the power lifts.
Old 12-28-2011, 01:05 AM   #45
James Rios

Profile:

incase there is still any question as to IF you should write the article

DO IT.

i read Louie's book, but still feel like i might be missing something somewhere.
would love to fix my press sticking point since i think its holding me back from getting HSPU as well. its a real problem and ive tried everything i can think of at this point.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:33 AM   #46
Max Salmen

Profile:

Write It
Old 12-30-2011, 11:20 PM   #47
Jared Ashley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris Bachmann View Post
There are many of these on the internet. Consolidating them should not be a big deal.

The problem is that, despite what we ALL want to believe, sometimes it's not as easy as finding the one or two magic accessory exercises to push our numbers to elite status.

I'll look into making a list of links though.
there are indeed many of these on the internet. Unfortunately, like most workout advice on the internet, many of them are inaccurate and many contradict each other.

Mr. Mason is in the unique position of being someone on the internet who I believe to be knowledgeable whose advice can actually be trusted.

I don't want an exhaustive list, and don't actually believe one could be written... that level of advice requires one-on-one in-person coaching. However, I do think it would be helpful (and it would remove much of the mystery of westside) if a 2-3 of the accessory lifts most likely to work for 5-6 of the most common problems were listed.

The basic westside template (cycling through 4-ish ME lifts weekly and the "pendulum wave" 3-week DE cycle) is not all that complicated, and IMO has been explained well in previous articles. Effectively selecting accessory work however, is confusing and overwealming, and thusfar the advice has amounted to "here's a giant list of movements, pick what works for you to improve your weaknesses." That is tough for an experienced lifter to do, let alone a newer lifter, which leads to poor lift selection, which leads to poor results, which leads people away from westside.

To me, "westside made easy" would focus almost entirely on simplifying the selection of accessory movements and on examples of movements that can be done with a simple equipment rather than 5 different bars and specialized equipment like reverse hyper machines.

Regardless, Chris I thank you for your input and for your time. You have a great deal of knowledge and have opened it up to the CF community freely, through a good deal of adversity. It's good to have you here.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:22 PM   #48
Chris Mason

Profile:

Jared, I have a bit of a solution for the special exercises. It is in the article.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:33 PM   #49
Adam Shreim

Profile:

I have been experimenting with some special exercises using bands and chains. I don't have a "rack," I only have the standard squat stand. So, when I got these bands and quickly realized I couldn't use them for what I intended, I am learning I can use them for some other muscle-specific things like my hamstrings/glutes, ect.

Once I feel I have effectively discovered one more of each upper and lower body, I will post with either video and/or pictures.

Those big ole plastic exercise balls can come in handy, too (I forgot what they are called off the top of my head).
Old 03-06-2013, 05:07 PM   #50
Dan Thomas

Profile:

I know this is quite old... but did this ever happen? The article, that is.