CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 04-14-2007, 10:22 AM   #1
Clay Johnson

Profile:
My neighbor has several sets of the below York plates and bar.

I have not had much luck finding for info about these...can anyone point me in the right direction?

(work safe links)

http://homepage.mac.com/biggerfoot/....orkplates1.jpg
http://homepage.mac.com/biggerfoot/....orkplates2.jpg
Old 04-14-2007, 10:41 AM   #2
Roger Smith

Profile:
They look like a variation on the design below.
http://www.yorkbarbell.com/products/...mp_scroll.html

I'd say fairly recent. I've never seen older plates w/o a complete lip, but I could be wrong. There have been a ton of design changes over the years...

If your wondering if they are special, or just run of the mill metal plates, look at the back. If they have lines or groves, they have been milled and are very accurate weight wise.

(Message edited by rogersmith on April 14, 2007)
Old 04-14-2007, 04:46 PM   #3
Clay Johnson

Profile:
Thanks.

They do not have the milling marks like my older York plates but the wide rims may have been milled (the dish section looks the same on both sides).

The plates as well as the bar have the smaller 1.9+ holes so I was wondering if they made for competition.
Old 04-15-2007, 09:13 AM   #4
Roger Smith

Profile:
Wow...do they fit a normal bar? I have some milled yorks that fit much tighter, but they do fit. If they don't fit, I'd stay away. I bought some what I thought were 1" at a garage sale. They were cheap, but when I got them home, I discovered they were a tad, maybe mm, too small to fit 1". I spent a ton of time and about 5 drimmel and 2 drill grinding stones getting them to fit. Not a bargain in the end... Eventually, even if you have the bars, you will want to put them on something.

As for if they are milled. I'd doubt it, but any easy way to test is to weight a few of the 35s and 45s on a postal scale. In my experience, if more than one is within an oz or 2, they must be. Most I've tested are 1 to 2 pounds either way.

I'd email alison at york. I don't have the email, but it's somewhere on the forum. or maybe she well see the post...
Old 04-16-2007, 06:54 AM   #5
Reece Holliday

Profile:
I second the idea to email Allison. I just recently bought a bar from her and she has been very friendly and helpful to say the least. Here is her email address AllisonForeman@aol.com
Old 04-18-2007, 06:03 PM   #6
Clay Johnson

Profile:
Thanks...email sent.