CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 01-08-2012, 01:04 PM   #1
Sonny Funderburk

Profile:
Starting home gym need bumper plates.

So I cannot afford a full set of bumper plates and i'm looking to get some. What size should I get to be able to drop the bar and have it hit a bumper plate but my non bumpers dont get hurt.
Old 01-08-2012, 01:30 PM   #2
Alex Keller

Profile:
Re: Starting home gym need bumper plates.

Sonny,

Without knowing your strength capacities, the only sizes you really "need" are 10/25/45 lbs.

10s - For warm-up or if you have a partner/friend who comes over that would need lighter weights

25s - Basically just for building up if you cannot handle at least 45s for any movement

45s - These are what you want on the bar if you are mixing a lot of iron into it. Typically, we recommend at most a 50/50 split between iron and rubber. Obviously more rubber is better, but budgets don't always allow it...

If you get a 10/25/45 set, you can cover your bases for warm-up, lighter weights on lifts or for partners. If this will be just for yourself, are a heavy lifter all-around and don't care about being able to drop on a warm-up, 45s are where you want to spend your money.

Tried to keep it short and to the point, so may have left some info out...
Old 01-08-2012, 01:30 PM   #3
Jason Wallis

Profile:

What weight will most of your WOD be done with? We don't know your programming or strength levels to be able to answer such a subjective question. A "bare minimum" you could get by with would be a couple of 25lb bumpers, making 95lb the lightest weight you could safely drop. You can add iron 5's and 10's to this but I wouldn't go overboard. How much are you looking to spend?
Old 01-08-2012, 01:55 PM   #4
Sonny Funderburk

Profile:

yeah looking at my weight range Squats and Bench i'm not worried about dropping casue i'm building a Powerrack this coming weekend. I'm looking at it for Press and Cleans. So yes the 25lbs are a good starting point. And for the wife the 10s would be awsome help her not start so low on Deadlifts.
Old 01-08-2012, 01:59 PM   #5
Jason Mayhugh

Profile:

You could get some old tires on the rim and fill them with sand!
Muscledriver has the best deals on bumpers I've seen w/ free shipping. I scored a set of oly colored plates on the black friday deal. So worth it
Old 01-08-2012, 02:15 PM   #6
Sonny Funderburk

Profile:

I know alot of stuff can be Homemade but when it comes to the plates I really dont want to go that route. I want to buy good quality plates.
Old 01-08-2012, 03:06 PM   #7
Daniel Frankel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny Funderburk View Post
I'm looking at it for Press and Cleans.
Why do you need bumpers to press?
Old 01-09-2012, 07:12 AM   #8
Gene Pires

Profile:

just a crazy thought but if you need to dump the bar with weights on it, how about getting a couple car tires and setting them on the ground. Maybe get a couple small pieces of horse stall mat to cover the tire. If you need to dump the bar, guide it onto the tires?
Old 01-09-2012, 11:49 AM   #9
Anthony Giurato

Profile:

Quote:
And for the wife the 10s would be awsome help her not start so low on Deadlifts.
If money is tight you can make some training wheels (WFS) for your wife. Obviously pine rounds aren't meant for dropping. My wife has been using them for months, and they still work fine.
Old 01-09-2012, 04:58 PM   #10
Steve Jaeger

Profile:

Quote:
I know alot of stuff can be Homemade but when it comes to the plates I really dont want to go that route. I want to buy good quality plates.
Most of the WOD programming is 95/135 for guys. That means you'll need 25s and 45s on a 45lb bar. Troy makes a great, highly affordable bumper in those sizes.

For 10s and 15s for your bride, you might want to consider Hi-Temps in lieu of the Troys if they are the only plate on the sleeve. Many of the higher density plates are thinner so they can tend to bend and crack if they are dropped when they are the only plate on the bar. Hi-Temps are thicker and are more resilient.

We would recommend Troy 25s and 45s, then Hi-Temp 10s and 15s for your situation.

Feel free to contact us.