CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2012, 09:03 AM   #1
Heath Shumate
Member Heath Shumate is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Parrish  AL
Posts: 69
Oh my, this is amazing!!!

In my quest to be lean and strong and fit I obviously didnt know the harm in what I thought was/are/were harmless cheats. Wrong, Wrong and wrong!

Trying to explain to my 14 yr old athelete the importance of eating right he busted me. He says "why do you continually preach to me about eating right vs my performance and my weight gain?' Hes 5'11' 150lbs and rock freakin soild. I couldnt answer him. What was I to say when I cook good meals all the time but take the cheat bite of this and that. And even indulge in junk. Thinking Im working out hard enough for it not to matter. Wow, was I wrong.

2 weeks ago I ran out of whey protein and thought too myself it would be a great time to do a little experiment and to prove to my son that I could be that example. The line was drawn in the sand! I have been eating totally clean for 14 days with the exception of 3 cups of 2% milk post workout. I have gone from 222lbs to 210 in just 14 days. I feel amazing and my workouts have turned the corner. My lung capacity has gone way up also.

Meats and veggies, nuts and seeds, yea yea yea, everyone knows the drill, right. My one point is. If ur struggling and wondering why your not seeing results. Re-evaluate what your eating. The samllest of cheats could have your body out of whack.

I only have a couple of qustions though. Im eating around 3000 cals a day at 50%pro/30%carbs/20%fat. When my bodyfat levels out do I just keep eating the way I am now? Or if Im too skinny do I change my intake amount? Or my macro ratios? Im really pleased at the drop in bf, but I dont wantto be skinny/scrawny. Im 42, 6'1" and currently 210lbs. Thanks in advance
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:14 AM   #2
Joey Shishineh
Member Joey Shishineh is offline
 
Joey Shishineh's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Columbia  MD
Posts: 1,029
Re: Oh my, this is amazing!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath Shumate View Post
In my quest to be lean and strong and fit I obviously didnt know the harm in what I thought was/are/were harmless cheats. Wrong, Wrong and wrong!

Trying to explain to my 14 yr old athelete the importance of eating right he busted me. He says "why do you continually preach to me about eating right vs my performance and my weight gain?' Hes 5'11' 150lbs and rock freakin soild. I couldnt answer him. What was I to say when I cook good meals all the time but take the cheat bite of this and that. And even indulge in junk. Thinking Im working out hard enough for it not to matter. Wow, was I wrong.

2 weeks ago I ran out of whey protein and thought too myself it would be a great time to do a little experiment and to prove to my son that I could be that example. The line was drawn in the sand! I have been eating totally clean for 14 days with the exception of 3 cups of 2% milk post workout. I have gone from 222lbs to 210 in just 14 days. I feel amazing and my workouts have turned the corner. My lung capacity has gone way up also.

Meats and veggies, nuts and seeds, yea yea yea, everyone knows the drill, right. My one point is. If ur struggling and wondering why your not seeing results. Re-evaluate what your eating. The samllest of cheats could have your body out of whack.

I only have a couple of qustions though. Im eating around 3000 cals a day at 50%pro/30%carbs/20%fat. When my bodyfat levels out do I just keep eating the way I am now? Or if Im too skinny do I change my intake amount? Or my macro ratios? Im really pleased at the drop in bf, but I dont wantto be skinny/scrawny. Im 42, 6'1" and currently 210lbs. Thanks in advance
Awesome, Heath! I am so glad to hear your experience and it is great to see the faith restored in good nutrition.

IMO, your macro breakdown could have a bit more fat - maybe 40/30/30 prot/carb/fat. I am no expert by any means and different macro breakdowns really do work for different body types. i.e. for me, a 35/35/30 split works great. I say shoot for 1g-1.5g protein per lb of lean body mass and then let the other macros fall into line. Once you are leveled out, you may have to increase your intake by 500cals or so, just so you can continue build muscle and maintain it!
__________________
|12 Labours|
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:20 AM   #3
Adam Fisk
Member Adam Fisk is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Levittown  New York
Posts: 118
Re: Oh my, this is amazing!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Shishineh View Post
Awesome, Heath! I am so glad to hear your experience and it is great to see the faith restored in good nutrition.

IMO, your macro breakdown could have a bit more fat - maybe 40/30/30 prot/carb/fat. I am no expert by any means and different macro breakdowns really do work for different body types. i.e. for me, a 35/35/30 split works great. I say shoot for 1g-1.5g protein per lb of lean body mass and then let the other macros fall into line. Once you are leveled out, you may have to increase your intake by 500cals or so, just so you can continue build muscle and maintain it!
This. The easiest way to add calories is by increasing your fat consumption. Just keep em' healthy which from what I read looks like you're doing. Keep it up!
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:22 AM   #4
Heath Shumate
Member Heath Shumate is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Parrish  AL
Posts: 69
Re: Oh my, this is amazing!!!

So a typical meal for me would be....6-7 oz of lean steak, 2-2 1/2 cups broccoli, small apple and about 8-10 raw almonds. So your saying keep everything as is and double or more the almonds????? I have skeptics all around me. But Valentines night we had a party at our church. I had 24oz of lean steak, 1/2 sweet potato with skin and 2 salads w/no dressing. Around 8 @ night. We got home and the wife said "yep youve done it now, step on the scales." So 216 was the verdict. Woke the next morning and weighed 214 even. Take that modern day thinkin!

Last edited by Heath Shumate : 02-24-2012 at 11:24 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:31 AM   #5
Joey Shishineh
Member Joey Shishineh is offline
 
Joey Shishineh's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Columbia  MD
Posts: 1,029
Re: Oh my, this is amazing!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath Shumate View Post
So a typical meal for me would be....6-7 oz of lean steak, 2-2 1/2 cups broccoli, small apple and about 8-10 raw almonds. So your saying keep everything as is and double or more the almonds????? I have skeptics all around me. But Valentines night we had a party at our church. I had 24oz of lean steak, 1/2 sweet potato with skin and 2 salads w/no dressing. Around 8 @ night. We got home and the wife said "yep youve done it now, step on the scales." So 216 was the verdict. Woke the next morning and weighed 214 even. Take that modern day thinkin!
Yeah, just eat some more steak, chicken, fish. Maybe eat some avocado for good fats if you like them and want to mix it up. For my fats, I eat dairy, so that makes it easier. As was suggested to me recently, you can add an extra shake (coconut milk, whey and oats) for some extra, good, and fast calories.
__________________
|12 Labours|
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:35 AM   #6
Chris Hunke
Member Chris Hunke is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Lexington  NE
Posts: 49
Re: Oh my, this is amazing!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath Shumate View Post
So a typical meal for me would be....6-7 oz of lean steak, 2-2 1/2 cups broccoli, small apple and about 8-10 raw almonds. So your saying keep everything as is and double or more the almonds????? I have skeptics all around me. But Valentines night we had a party at our church. I had 24oz of lean steak, 1/2 sweet potato with skin and 2 salads w/no dressing. Around 8 @ night. We got home and the wife said "yep youve done it now, step on the scales." So 216 was the verdict. Woke the next morning and weighed 214 even. Take that modern day thinkin!
But if you had said this to her
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:39 PM   #7
Graeme Moore
Member Graeme Moore is offline
 
Graeme Moore's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Newcastle  Tyne & Wear UK
Posts: 398
Re: Oh my, this is amazing!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath Shumate View Post
Around 8 @ night. We got home and the wife said "yep youve done it now, step on the scales."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hunke View Post
But if you had said this to her
__________________
"There are no shortcuts. The fact that a shortcut is important to you means that you are a pu**y." - Rip
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 09:34 AM   #8
Wayne Riddle
Member Wayne Riddle is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lewiston  ME
Posts: 1,779
Re: Oh my, this is amazing!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath Shumate View Post
I only have a couple of qustions though. Im eating around 3000 cals a day at 50%pro/30%carbs/20%fat. When my bodyfat levels out do I just keep eating the way I am now? Or if Im too skinny do I change my intake amount? Or my macro ratios? Im really pleased at the drop in bf, but I dont wantto be skinny/scrawny. Im 42, 6'1" and currently 210lbs. Thanks in advance
Eat to support your goals, which I haven't seen stated by you up to this point in time.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:24 PM   #9
Heath Shumate
Member Heath Shumate is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Parrish  AL
Posts: 69
Re: Oh my, this is amazing!!!

At this point Im a little confused as to what my goals are. I just want to be the best me I can be at this point. And not being where I wanted to be in the bodyfat dept promted change. Was unsure what kind of changes were necessary but something had to give. Basically at 200lbs I could do bout 20-23 pullups. At 222 I could only muster bout 11-12. I was short of breath and just beat after every workout. I thought I was working out hard enough to cheat. Wrong answer. So I guess my goal is to shed this fat, again, with minimal strength loss. I can already tell a huge difference in my lung capacity. Im gonna stick with this for a while and Ill make adjustment accordingly. Thanks for the input. .
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Amazing Lifters Joshua Straiton Exercises 3 08-04-2011 01:53 PM
Amazing video Barry Cooper Stuff and Nonsense 6 10-30-2009 05:26 AM
These cyclists are amazing Frank DiMeo Community 1 08-25-2009 06:22 AM
This thing is amazing!! Omar Omar Stuff and Nonsense 3 07-13-2009 06:17 AM
That was amazing! Ivan Wolfe Starting 2 10-03-2007 05:05 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.