CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-24-2012, 09:03 AM   #1
Heath Shumate

Profile:
Oh my, this is amazing!!!

In my quest to be lean and strong and fit I obviously didnt know the harm in what I thought was/are/were harmless cheats. Wrong, Wrong and wrong!

Trying to explain to my 14 yr old athelete the importance of eating right he busted me. He says "why do you continually preach to me about eating right vs my performance and my weight gain?' Hes 5'11' 150lbs and rock freakin soild. I couldnt answer him. What was I to say when I cook good meals all the time but take the cheat bite of this and that. And even indulge in junk. Thinking Im working out hard enough for it not to matter. Wow, was I wrong.

2 weeks ago I ran out of whey protein and thought too myself it would be a great time to do a little experiment and to prove to my son that I could be that example. The line was drawn in the sand! I have been eating totally clean for 14 days with the exception of 3 cups of 2% milk post workout. I have gone from 222lbs to 210 in just 14 days. I feel amazing and my workouts have turned the corner. My lung capacity has gone way up also.

Meats and veggies, nuts and seeds, yea yea yea, everyone knows the drill, right. My one point is. If ur struggling and wondering why your not seeing results. Re-evaluate what your eating. The samllest of cheats could have your body out of whack.

I only have a couple of qustions though. Im eating around 3000 cals a day at 50%pro/30%carbs/20%fat. When my bodyfat levels out do I just keep eating the way I am now? Or if Im too skinny do I change my intake amount? Or my macro ratios? Im really pleased at the drop in bf, but I dont wantto be skinny/scrawny. Im 42, 6'1" and currently 210lbs. Thanks in advance
Old 02-24-2012, 09:14 AM   #2
Joey Shishineh

Profile:
Re: Oh my, this is amazing!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath Shumate View Post
In my quest to be lean and strong and fit I obviously didnt know the harm in what I thought was/are/were harmless cheats. Wrong, Wrong and wrong!

Trying to explain to my 14 yr old athelete the importance of eating right he busted me. He says "why do you continually preach to me about eating right vs my performance and my weight gain?' Hes 5'11' 150lbs and rock freakin soild. I couldnt answer him. What was I to say when I cook good meals all the time but take the cheat bite of this and that. And even indulge in junk. Thinking Im working out hard enough for it not to matter. Wow, was I wrong.

2 weeks ago I ran out of whey protein and thought too myself it would be a great time to do a little experiment and to prove to my son that I could be that example. The line was drawn in the sand! I have been eating totally clean for 14 days with the exception of 3 cups of 2% milk post workout. I have gone from 222lbs to 210 in just 14 days. I feel amazing and my workouts have turned the corner. My lung capacity has gone way up also.

Meats and veggies, nuts and seeds, yea yea yea, everyone knows the drill, right. My one point is. If ur struggling and wondering why your not seeing results. Re-evaluate what your eating. The samllest of cheats could have your body out of whack.

I only have a couple of qustions though. Im eating around 3000 cals a day at 50%pro/30%carbs/20%fat. When my bodyfat levels out do I just keep eating the way I am now? Or if Im too skinny do I change my intake amount? Or my macro ratios? Im really pleased at the drop in bf, but I dont wantto be skinny/scrawny. Im 42, 6'1" and currently 210lbs. Thanks in advance
Awesome, Heath! I am so glad to hear your experience and it is great to see the faith restored in good nutrition.

IMO, your macro breakdown could have a bit more fat - maybe 40/30/30 prot/carb/fat. I am no expert by any means and different macro breakdowns really do work for different body types. i.e. for me, a 35/35/30 split works great. I say shoot for 1g-1.5g protein per lb of lean body mass and then let the other macros fall into line. Once you are leveled out, you may have to increase your intake by 500cals or so, just so you can continue build muscle and maintain it!
Old 02-24-2012, 10:20 AM   #3
Adam Fisk

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Shishineh View Post
Awesome, Heath! I am so glad to hear your experience and it is great to see the faith restored in good nutrition.

IMO, your macro breakdown could have a bit more fat - maybe 40/30/30 prot/carb/fat. I am no expert by any means and different macro breakdowns really do work for different body types. i.e. for me, a 35/35/30 split works great. I say shoot for 1g-1.5g protein per lb of lean body mass and then let the other macros fall into line. Once you are leveled out, you may have to increase your intake by 500cals or so, just so you can continue build muscle and maintain it!
This. The easiest way to add calories is by increasing your fat consumption. Just keep em' healthy which from what I read looks like you're doing. Keep it up!
Old 02-24-2012, 11:22 AM   #4
Heath Shumate

Profile:

So a typical meal for me would be....6-7 oz of lean steak, 2-2 1/2 cups broccoli, small apple and about 8-10 raw almonds. So your saying keep everything as is and double or more the almonds????? I have skeptics all around me. But Valentines night we had a party at our church. I had 24oz of lean steak, 1/2 sweet potato with skin and 2 salads w/no dressing. Around 8 @ night. We got home and the wife said "yep youve done it now, step on the scales." So 216 was the verdict. Woke the next morning and weighed 214 even. Take that modern day thinkin!

Last edited by Heath Shumate : 02-24-2012 at 11:24 AM.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:31 AM   #5
Joey Shishineh

Profile:

Quote:
So a typical meal for me would be....6-7 oz of lean steak, 2-2 1/2 cups broccoli, small apple and about 8-10 raw almonds. So your saying keep everything as is and double or more the almonds????? I have skeptics all around me. But Valentines night we had a party at our church. I had 24oz of lean steak, 1/2 sweet potato with skin and 2 salads w/no dressing. Around 8 @ night. We got home and the wife said "yep youve done it now, step on the scales." So 216 was the verdict. Woke the next morning and weighed 214 even. Take that modern day thinkin!
Yeah, just eat some more steak, chicken, fish. Maybe eat some avocado for good fats if you like them and want to mix it up. For my fats, I eat dairy, so that makes it easier. As was suggested to me recently, you can add an extra shake (coconut milk, whey and oats) for some extra, good, and fast calories.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:35 AM   #6
Chris Hunke

Profile:

Quote:
But if you had said this to her
Old 02-24-2012, 10:39 PM   #7
Graeme Moore

Profile:

Quote:
Around 8 @ night. We got home and the wife said "yep youve done it now, step on the scales."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hunke View Post
But if you had said this to her
Old 02-25-2012, 09:34 AM   #8
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

Quote:
Eat to support your goals, which I haven't seen stated by you up to this point in time.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:24 PM   #9
Heath Shumate

Profile:

At this point Im a little confused as to what my goals are. I just want to be the best me I can be at this point. And not being where I wanted to be in the bodyfat dept promted change. Was unsure what kind of changes were necessary but something had to give. Basically at 200lbs I could do bout 20-23 pullups. At 222 I could only muster bout 11-12. I was short of breath and just beat after every workout. I thought I was working out hard enough to cheat. Wrong answer. So I guess my goal is to shed this fat, again, with minimal strength loss. I can already tell a huge difference in my lung capacity. Im gonna stick with this for a while and Ill make adjustment accordingly. Thanks for the input. .