CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 01-09-2012, 08:01 PM   #11
Jason Mayhugh

Profile:
Re: Starting home gym need bumper plates.

Hammered Fitness=always tryin to sell something, I'm sure they inboxed you too...

You said you had no money for plates. So fill some tires with sand, put them on your bathroom scale and get busy. They work great and super cheap, like free cheap.

A 45# bumper has the same OD (outside diameter) as a 35,25,15,10. But the impact would still be felt on say a 25# steel weight outside a 45# bumper. (The bar jarring inside the plates 2" hole) You could get a cheap 20kg bar off craigslist, tires on the rim (old trailer tires) from the junk yard and sand or dirt from anywhere. Enjoy.

Last edited by Jason Mayhugh : 01-09-2012 at 08:08 PM.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:06 PM   #12
Jason Mayhugh

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Mayhugh View Post
Always tryin to sell something...

You said you had no money for plates. So fill some tires with sand, put them on your bathroom scale and get busy. They work great and super cheap, like free cheap.

A 45# bumper has the same OD (outside diameter) as a 35,25,15,10. But the impact would still be felt on say a 25# steel weight outside a 45# bumper. (The bar jarring inside the plates 2" hole) You could get a cheap 20kg bar off craigslist, tires on the rim (old trailer tires) from the junk yard and sand or dirt from anywhere. Enjoy.
And muscledriver has the best deals pound for pound delivered
Old 01-09-2012, 08:40 PM   #13
Michael A. Jones

Profile:

I'd go with either Fringe or MDUSA, if you really want bumpers. They have the best prices all around!! I, personally, went with Fringe because Peter and Alex knew their business and customer service was great. They had exactly what I was looking for.

It comes down to what you plan to do with the weights. I bought mine to augment my irons and for not wanting to damage my garage floor during WODs...

Good luck.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:07 AM   #14
Jackson Harmer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Mayhugh View Post
Hammered Fitness=always tryin to sell something, I'm sure they inboxed you too...

This intrigues me. I think it would be badass to have a bar with sand filled tires attached to it! Could you provide a few more details? What size tires? How do you secure them to bar, do you just find a style of rim that has a center hole close in size to your bar? How do you fill them? How heavy can you make the tires when full? As you can tell, I have almost zero technical expertise, but would love to have these!
Old 01-10-2012, 10:25 AM   #15
Michael Loucas

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Harmer View Post
This intrigues me. I think it would be badass to have a bar with sand filled tires attached to it! Could you provide a few more details? What size tires? How do you secure them to bar, do you just find a style of rim that has a center hole close in size to your bar? How do you fill them? How heavy can you make the tires when full? As you can tell, I have almost zero technical expertise, but would love to have these!
I've seen people weld a 2.5lb or 5lb steel plate to the tire rim.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:03 PM   #16
Jason Mayhugh

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Harmer View Post
Okay got this idea on a cfjournal video, I think it was nick massie showing us his old home gym maybe. He pulled out these olt sand filled tires.. LOL. Awesome right? Pick what tires you want for your desired weight i would say and look for a 2 inch rim hole to fit on some old bar you have in the corner or for 25 bucks off craigslist. Id just put spring collars on it and if the hole was too big id bang some wood wedges in there, if the hole was too small id get out my metal file or hammer and get busy! To fill the tire do it the same way you would a diy medicine ball. Drill a hole in the tire and use a funnel to put the sand in a handfull at a time then tape the hole with duct tape or a two stage apoxy for rubber may be better and wouldnt wear out as fast. A great elevator man told me once "if it dont work, we gotta make it work moe"!!!!
Old 01-11-2012, 06:53 AM   #17
Heath Shumate

Profile:

I was just recently in the same situation and bout drove myself crazy as what to do. I, like most others, am on a budget and try to spend my home gym money wisely. I ended up getting a cheap bar, 45 & 25lb bumpers and got 2 each of 10s and 5s in metal. Works fine. It allows me to do any combination.

If I could redo my home gym the bumpers and bar would have been the first thing I would have purchased.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:01 AM   #18
Gene Pires

Profile:

I have heard that one could use a regular weight plate in the mounting of tires to oly bars. Find a old 10lb plate and drill out holes in it to correspond with the holes in the wheel hub. Bolt the 10lb plate to the hub and now it will slip right onto the bar. I suppose you could do 1 or 2 plates per tire. (one on one side or one on both sides of each tire)
Old 01-11-2012, 10:40 AM   #19
Keith Miller

Profile:

Somebody did a "how-to" for tires as bumpers. Not sure where the link is, but you should be able to just Google it. I think they give some pointers about choosing a tire, rim and how to get it onto your bar. I would NOT use an expensive bar for this, but an average CL bar would work until you save enough to get a good bar and a couple of bumpers!!
Old 01-11-2012, 10:42 AM   #20
Jason Mayhugh

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Pires View Post
I have heard that one could use a regular weight plate in the mounting of tires to oly bars. Find a old 10lb plate and drill out holes in it to correspond with the holes in the wheel hub. Bolt the 10lb plate to the hub and now it will slip right onto the bar. I suppose you could do 1 or 2 plates per tire. (one on one side or one on both sides of each tire)
This is a great idea and what that dude a few posts up whos squating like 600^^^^^^ was talking about just welding instead of bolts.