CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-05-2015, 12:49 PM   #1
Chris Mason

Profile:
Westside strength routine I just wrote for a CF athlete

I just write this program for a CF athlete specifically interested in increasing her absolute strength. Let me know if you have any questions:

* Accessory work sets should be taken to just shy of concentric failure. Stop one rep short of failure.

Monday - ME Lower:

Weekly rotation of the the following movements: back squat with standard barbell, box squat with alternative bar, sumo style rack pull using a low rack (plates are just a couple of inches off the floor), front squat

Work up to a 1RM using one of the above weekly (rotate in the sequence they are listed)

Accessory work:

Glute/ham raises - 2 x AMRAP

Stiff-legged deadlift 2 x 12 - this is to be performed in the bodybuilding style which focuses on the hamstrings. Lock the knees with a slight bend in them and then lower the barbell to about 3" above the ankle on the shin (you will need to be standing on an elevated platform to get this depth). Do not lockout at the top of the reps, rather make them a continuous motion stopping just shy of lockout at the top. Do them slow and controlled and really go for the burn in your hamstrings.

Heavy sled pulls - 4 pulls of roughly 60'

Tuesday - CF WOD that is not too taxing especially for the legs. We want this to serve as a way to maintain conditioning and to be a form of active recovery for the strength training.

Wednesday - ME Upper:

Weekly rotation of the following movements: standing shoulder press, bench press, incline press

Work up to a 1RM using one of the above weekly (rotate in the order above)

Accessory work:

Seated dumbbell shoulder press - 2 x 10

Dumbbell rollbacks - 2 x 12 (video - WFS - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nvyznzu1PRU)

Close grip bench press (hands roughly 6-7" apart) - 2 x 8 - pause each rep on the chest and don't let your *** come off the bench. We want to build triceps pressing strength.

Thursday - CF WOD (same rules as Tuesday)

Friday - DE Lower:

Box squat with bands using a 3 week wave - 2 x 10 for the first 2 weeks and 2 x 8 on the 3rd.

The weekly loading percentage scheme is 50% for week 1, 55% week 2, and 60% week 3. That is the barbell weight. So, if your max box squat is 300 lbs you would use 150 lbs of bar weight for week 1. The bands should equate to roughly 25% of your 1RM at the top. Using the 300 lbs example you would want roughly 75 lbs of band resistance at the top. This figure is very rough as it cannot be exacting due to the set nature of band resistance and what is available. In your case, I would go with what are called monster mini bands. You can get them from www.westside-barbell.com.

Warm-up prior to the working sets listed above. Keep rest time between sets to a minimum, but sufficient to allow you to maintain speed. On this day speed is king. The 1st and 3rd guy in this video (WFS - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKDI79TrAz0) exhibit good speed to give you an idea, but ideally you want to move even faster. The goal with DE squats is to build your strength speed (although you will see this erroneously referred to as speed strength quite often). You are building your ability to be explosive with heavy loads.

Accessory work:

Glute/ham raises - 2 x AMRAP

Good mornings - 2 x 10

Light sled pulls - 1/2 the load from Monday for 4 pulls of roughly 100'

Sunday - DE Upper:

Speed incline bench press - 3 x 8

The incline angle for the bench should be relatively steep - roughly 70 degrees. The bar load should be 55% of your 1RM max. The same idea of speed is important here, but with good form. Take a split second between each of the 3 reps so that they do not become one continuous movement.

Accessory work:

Seated dumbbell shoulder press - 2 x 10

Dumbbell rollbacks - 2 x 12 (video - WFS - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nvyznzu1PRU)

Close grip bench press (hands roughly 6-7" apart) - 2 x 8
Old 09-06-2015, 10:58 AM   #2
Matthew S Cooper

Profile:
Re: Westside strength routine I just wrote for a CF athlete

Mind if I borrow the program for myself? Just kidding... kind of (I'm on a quest for strength at the moment, and your program has many similarities to what I have programmed for myself).

One question... on the upper body dynamic effort day you have written incline press as 3x8, which I read as 3 sets of 8 reps. Later in that same day you mention taking a split second between the 3 reps so they do not become one continuous movement - that part leads me to believe it is 8 sets of 3 reps.

As long as you and your client are on the same page, I guess it doesn't matter too much. I was just pointing out what I saw. Looks like a solid program overall though.
Old 09-07-2015, 10:21 AM   #3
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

Chris,

How would you adjust to not having access to an alternative bar? Currently stuck lifting in big commercial gym with crappy bars.

Thanks
Old 09-07-2015, 05:17 PM   #4
David Meverden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew S Cooper View Post

One question... on the upper body dynamic effort day you have written incline press as 3x8, which I read as 3 sets of 8 reps. Later in that same day you mention taking a split second between the 3 reps so they do not become one continuous movement - that part leads me to believe it is 8 sets of 3 reps.
Dynamic Effort sets (also called speed sets) in Westside style routines use 1-3 reps per set. Usually deadlifts are done for Singles, box squats use sets of two, and bench press uses sets of three.

So this:"Box squat with bands using a 3 week wave - 2 x 10 for the first 2 weeks and 2 x 8 on the 3rd" means ten sets of two the first two weeks, eight sets of two the 3rd week.

Though it's annotated the same way all the other assistance work will typically be higher rep sets, so it's safe to assume that "Seated dumbbell shoulder press - 2 x 10" means two sets of 10.
Old 09-09-2015, 07:27 AM   #5
Andrew Bell

Profile:

So you advise stepping away from the olympic lifts completely during this cycle, and how long is she to run this?
Old 09-11-2015, 05:14 AM   #6
Ludovic Deguy

Profile:

Chris > What do you suggest for DE days if your gym doesn't have bands or chains ?
Old 09-13-2015, 07:48 AM   #7
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew S Cooper View Post
Mind if I borrow the program for myself? Just kidding... kind of (I'm on a quest for strength at the moment, and your program has many similarities to what I have programmed for myself).

As long as you and your client are on the same page, I guess it doesn't matter too much. I was just pointing out what I saw. Looks like a solid program overall though.
8 sets of 3 reps Thanks for the heads-up.
Old 09-13-2015, 07:51 AM   #8
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludovic Deguy View Post
Chris > What do you suggest for DE days if your gym doesn't have bands or chains ?
My first suggestion would be buy yourself some bands. They are very reasonably priced.

If the 1st isn't an option, then simply use straight weight and adjust the barbell load up a bit. Make sure the load does not preclude speed. You want to be moving the barbell pretty fast, at least relative to the fact the loads are not light.
Old 09-13-2015, 08:06 AM   #9
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Bell View Post
So you advise stepping away from the olympic lifts completely during this cycle, and how long is she to run this?
Actually, no, I told her separately she could use the off days to practice some OL technique. The loads would thus be light and it ends up being more like active recovery with the added benefit of keeping the skill grooved to a degree.
Old 09-13-2015, 08:07 AM   #10
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan McNamar View Post
Chris,

How would you adjust to not having access to an alternative bar? Currently stuck lifting in big commercial gym with crappy bars.

Thanks
Brendan, it's ok. With the exercise variation you should still be just fine.