CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-11-2015, 10:59 AM   #1
Jeff Yan

Profile:
various programmings

For those of you who have tried out different programs, I'd love to hear your insights and comparisons.

Off the top of my head, I've done:
main site, of course
~8 weeks of Rippetoe-based (not exactly Starting Strength)
9 weeks of Catalyst Athletics (strength/squat cycle)
several cycles of Wendler 5-3-1
~2 weeks of Football
a few months of Invictus
and I've possibly done a few days of OPT and Outlaw
also, I've done exactly one day of Westside-based and immediately got tennis elbow from the accessory work

Right now, I just started doing CompTrain just a few weeks ago.

What are the cool kids doing nowadays?
Old 08-11-2015, 01:10 PM   #2
Andrew Bell

Profile:
Re: various programmings

There's also Misfit:
http://misfitathletics.com/ (wfs)
Old 08-13-2015, 03:48 AM   #3
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Quote:
After the 2008 Games, I was inspired to get back into shape and get my strength up besides be far better along the lines of the SnCJ. So for 2-3 mo I did my own bastardized thing.

Basically it was either Sn or CJ, and either squat or deadlift. I alternated the FS and BS and alternated press or pushpress or bench. I can't honestly remember. I'd SnCJ to a max and then squat 3x5 or DL 5rm. Press 3x5. Play with the rope, rings, and rower, and KB.

I was just coming off awhile of mostly non activity (During the competitive season I maybe worked out once a week from Dec to May and then was doing more BW/CFish stuff at home) so I didn't want to throw myself into SS. This was probably vaguely similar to what I did in HS and then college from what I could remember.

Gains were pretty good but eventually lift got kind of in the way of me doing this 4x/week or so. I was running around the house/track and BW metcon stuff at home. Did get back into shape (from #180 to #160ish).

Quote:
Did this in 2011 as I wanted to get back into the weights after a 6mo break. I did tweak my back twice (once during a squat, another spotting a kid) so that impeded things. I did 5 or 6 cycles first starting out 2 days a week and then adding a 3rd day (FS and GM and some DB Sn/CJ stuff). This was paired with a GymnasticBodies program that was 4d/week though I generally mucked around the gym on Wed doing floor, trampoline and maybe some tumbling. Sometimes I dropped in to CF on the weekends to do some CF and WL if I was free on the weekend.

Very manageable and I liked that 531 didn't really take me that long between time spent coaching at the gym, doing 2-3hours of gymnastics, and other things. Sometimes I would hit my 531 workout during the day or right after gymnastics (around midnight).

2 lifts could take about an hour and I think I've done 531 days for one lift in 20-30 minutes. Progress was fairly slow but I did manage to pretty much never miss lifts (which considering my sleep wasn't that great was impressive. I did take naps though-lots). Also, I wasn't very greedy in pushing my numbers because it was just an accesory to the gymnastics programming.

Quote:
~2 weeks of Football
I switched to CFFB for about 2 weeks in late 2011 after a 6 week break or so. However, this just made my want to SnCJ more instead of in a limited fashion so after a trip for Thanksgiving and tweaking my back (sidelining me for 1.5-2 weeks) I started the basic pendlay WL program. So, I basically would Sn or CJ then do the CFFB programming for strength and conditioning. Fun, but I really wanted to get better at WL. There was some basic gymnastics still in there at the time but as the WL took over afterwards this got cut to less and less.

I also enjoyed the Double Day Catalyst program before I missed a clean playing with a technique change and messed up my wrist in Jan 2014. Of course, my legs felt pretty abused and I hated stairs at the time and walking.

I did end up trying the Nemesis Squat program while my wrist was healing because I basically could only BS and pull and was very limited overhead. I really enjoyed this and would do a crapton of intensity and volume in a workout moreso than I had ever done before (and since). 1rm and 3-10 sets of 3 after from 70%. I didn't do any of their other squat WOD's besides the basic one as I was still playing with it.

DrillsandSkillsWOD. Used this a lot back in the day with Roger Harrell and after I moved away from North Bay as you could auto generate a daily WOD and it would fit what equipment I had.

GymnasticBodies. I enjoyed these including the GBWOD that was up and running for awhile. I always did thing their lower body WOD's felt more like conditioning than strength to me. These used to be good for a good sweat and some of the time I did them with my team guys between 2009-10. I eventually switched to steady state cycle programming when I was coming off shoulder injuries in late 2010 through my time at Berkeley when I was a bit conservative about training my shoulders as I didn't want to have another injury or elbow problems (from training too hard).

I did a true WL volume/% program in February and March of this year. I also did the CFOpen WOD's with these fitted in but they were somewhat sandbagged. I initially wanted to train on this 5 day program at a caloric loss and that didn't workout after 3 weeks as I found I needed to snack more on granola bars and raisins so weightloss went nowhere. During the 8 weeks or so, I found the % and sets daunting and trying but at the end of the program, nothing really went up besides my PSn and PC which I based off traditional % of SnCJ that were too low. My strength was worse as was my core lifts and though I enjoyed the workouts themselves, it was disappointing. I am not going to say which WL program it was but I felt like it was somewhat a waste of 2 months because nothing really improved. I also had to deal with shoulder problems because of the heavy upper body frequency of 4x/week and 4-5 rep FS days. At one point, I lost the ability to grip the bar off the floor so I ended up getting a few days behind and enlisting the help of a masseuse to work knots out. I also had to create a padded tape grip to deal with some nerve sensitivity in my right palm that was irritated upon touching the bar.

The last program I have been training on since May and have sort of deviated from was a program I found that was Russian themed but written by a Spanish WL coach in one of their provinces. I've sort of ended up tweaking things because I'm old and training on Saturdays just has never been great bc of limited gym availability on that day. Basically it is set up as Push or Pull alternating with squats on a few of those days.

It was Snatch/Squat exercises on M, Jerk/UpperPressing on Tu, Clean exercises on Wed/Squat, Jerk/UpperPressing on Th, Snatch stuff/RDL on Fri, Clean and Jerk/upper pressing/Squat on Sat. As the weights have gone up I made Th a lighter upper body day with limited volume and have turned it into a rest day because I wasn't able to snatch well after jerking heavy the day before. I've now combined Snatch and Cleans into Monday because I figured I might as do most of my pulling in one day and cleans seemed to be limited after heavy jerk in leg drive on Tuesday. Wed is being turned into a light medium complex day with Th off and I hit SnCJ besides rack jerks on Friday and accessory stuff on sat. I've also changed the diet going to low carb rather than Eat2Perform as I need to cut weight for a competition. As the weights have gone up a bit from going down on that program in Feb/March (and I was out of town and testing my 1rms for April), I need more time to recover from cleans and jerks. So I've basically butchered that program into something I used to do in 2012/3.
Old 08-13-2015, 04:02 AM   #4
Ludovic Deguy

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Yan View Post
For those of you who have tried out different programs, I'd love to hear your insights and comparisons.

Off the top of my head, I've done:
main site, of course
9 weeks of Catalyst Athletics (strength/squat cycle)
~2 weeks of Football
a few months of Invictus
and I've possibly done a few days of OPT and Outlaw
also, I've done exactly one day of Westside-based and immediately got tennis elbow from the accessory work

Right now, I just started doing CompTrain just a few weeks ago.

What are the cool kids doing nowadays?

I would say you need to commit at least 6 months to a program to see real benefits or/and to get a real feedback.

What are your goals ? If you are in a broad Crossfit approach and want to become good at everything : Outlaw, OPT, Invictus, CompTrain are all very good programs which gave results to thousands of athletes.

For strength, well, the Westside barbell guys have proven again and again you can become freaking strong with their training principles.
Old 08-14-2015, 11:26 PM   #5
Richard Colon

Profile:

I'll chime in with my own (grrillagym.com) for general physical stuff. All at various levels, from a lot of volume/intensity and competition based to simply air squatting to a box and doing a 400m jog once in a while.

In the end though, its all about your goals and most importantly, STICKING with it. Sticking with anything. Something. This (WFS) image sums it up well.

I've known a guy that trained at a gym I worked at. I've trained with him and chatted with him a lot (he was there 4+ days a week and I worked there 8 hrs a day). He did workouts from M&F (mens health, etc) magazine. He did them with full intensity, fully committed. Now, they were workouts that had some level of athleticism to them - things with lots of Bench, Dips, Push-ups, Pull-ups, Deadlifts, Power Cleans, Sprints, etc, but still, just M&F workouts. I saw him do this stuff for MANY months and his progression and ability from doing just that was great. He was moving so far beyond what the normal gym crew guys were doing daily. Except these guys were doing a of swapping out here and there for new, cool, "I heard about this bada$$ routine" every 6 to 8 weeks.

Another dude spent the better part of a year doing 5 movements, 4 - 5x a week with some level of progression built in (more reps, sets, weight than the previous week, for example). He used various implements and tools (one day barbell, another DBs, etc.) and changed up the stimulus a bit (sprints one day, hill sprints another, sled sprints another) but otherwise, basically 5 things: Dips, Deadlifts, Sprints, Chin-ups and some Hip Power movement (Power Cleans or Power Snatch or KB Swings if I remember correctly).

Beast mode resulted from that. Period. No this or that. Just dedication and seeing it through until either the goals are met or you know (not you think - i.e., I wanna try that other cool thing I read the other day) the gains are not coming. So in short (too late for that I know), my best advice, suggestion, comment on it all is:

The best program is the one you aren't doing. Just pick one that sounds a least a bit (or a lot a bit) in line with your goals, grind it, do it as written and continue until you start to win. If you are moving forward, even at the slowest pace, you are winning. If you are constantly getting hurt, breaking or going backwards, consistently - then back off, change things up and maybe do something else entirely. Otherwise, keep working on it until you win. The picture above remember. SO TRUE.

Last edited by Richard Colon : 08-14-2015 at 11:41 PM.
Old 08-15-2015, 10:48 PM   #6
Jeff Yan

Profile:

Thanks for the feedback so far! Please keep it coming.

I appreciate the advice, but I'm really more interesting in hearing more about your own experiences.
Old 08-16-2015, 07:34 PM   #7
Richard Colon

Profile:

Quote:
I appreciate the advice, but I'm really more interesting in hearing more about your own experiences.
Know the goal, set a plan (follow a program), grind it each day but make sure you find ways to enjoy the journey, listen to your body, stick it out until you see the results, eat well, sleep well and win.

Sums it up.
Old 08-17-2015, 06:02 AM   #8
Ludovic Deguy

Profile:

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback so far! Please keep it coming.
To be very specific (I was quite vague in my previous post) regarding my experience : I’ve been following comptitorstraining.com (“Open” program) for 6 months. Very good programming if your goals are aligned with the crossfit general philosophy (be good at everything). It is very well rounded so you will progress at the same time in strength, skills & conditioning.
This year I broke nearly all my PRs in the strength department, and some of them were really old.
The program forced me to attack 2 of my worst goats (HSPU, OHS) to the point I love those movements now.
And my conditioning improved a lot too.

And cherry on the cake : you will always be fed with new metcons and new workouts so no risk of boredom.
Old 08-19-2015, 09:42 AM   #9
Jason A Smith

Profile:

Here is a quick history of mine.

June 2009 - November 2009 Mainpage (that was it mostly at the time)
November 2009 - January 2010 - Starting Strength (I needed to get stronger to Rx workouts)
January 2010 - March 2010 - Back to Mainpage
March 2010 - August 2011 - Crossfit Football (I got stronger, did the Open and a local competition, not much Oly lifting though and my conditioning and Crossfit Gymnastics sucked, along with a lot of other things)
August 2011 - December 2011 - OPT (I did the being program and made some decent gains)
January 2012 - July 2012 - Individualized programming from a guy here locally. I made great strides for a couple months, got hurt doing the Open in 2012, rehabbed and started making progress again and then tweaked my shoulder.....again.
August 2012 - January 2013 - Did a few weeks of mainpage to get going again and then hopped back onto OPT being program which went ok but I found that I was sporadic with it through the winter
January 2013 - April 2013 - I trained at a local affiliate pretty much full time. In the 6 years I have been doing this it is the only time I have ever trained away from my house. It was a good experience and I get why so many people like doing it.
May 2013 - present - Individualized Programming, started back again with the guy who I was using and then in August 2013 started with Mike F. out of OPT Calgary. Almost exclusively out of my garage