CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-30-2015, 11:10 AM   #1
Phillip Micah Gilmore

Profile:
Crossfit ting from home

So I crossfit from home, have been for about 3 to 3 1/2 years. I just can't make time to drive 40 min one way to the closest box and pay the membership fee. Plus I have managed to slowly get a good home gym going and I love it so motivation and doing it by myself aren't issues (my wife even jumps in some).

My one issue is programming. I've read a lot of articles and boards n even the level 1 journal online. So I think I could make a decent program on my own however I'd rather follow someone who does it professionally. For the first year i was all about learning n just getting in better shape. I kind of cherry picked from about 3 sites and did random stuff just trying to learn n get used to it (I also didn't have a lot of equipment so I did the wod I had equipment for). In the other 2ish years I've gotten more serious (I might be addicted haha). But I followed 5/3/1 + met cons for while, then crossfit mayhem, and for past 6 months cffb. My goal w crossfit mayhem was to become more rounded. With cffb it was to add strength and it has very nicely although there is still more.

I am trying to decide between following a affiliate again or jumping to collegiate on cffb. Here is what I'm looking for continued strength gains, but I want more Olympic lifts than what cffb amateur provides and more gymnastics stuff. My 3 biggest goals right now would be to get better in Olympic lifts and achieve a muscle up (about to build a place so I can try) and handstand/handstand walk.

Cffb collegiate adds more Olympic moves it seems and I've thought about just adding time myself to work on weakness/goals. I also struggle with affiliates that don't program rest days I feel I'm missing when they program for 6 days of the week and I do 4-5.

What do ya'll suggest?
Old 06-01-2015, 02:42 AM   #2
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
Re: Crossfit ting from home

Before I really got on my WL kick, I had decided to transition to CFFB from Gymnastics+531. However, I wanted to do more WL and only a few weeks later I scrapped CFFB for the basic Pendlay beginner template and CFFB WOD's (which eventually was phased out too).

Off the top of my head, I'd look at TZStrength and Carl Paoli's GymnasticsWOD. Tsypkin covers gymnastics a lot in his programming, more than I see Outlaw or Invictus do or any of the others off the top of my head. Also, I think TZStrength and Outlaw do more WL than Invictus.

CFGymnastics covers gymnastics to some degree as does Doggtown's Gymnastics (theSkillWoD) programming via the TrainHeroic program. It's more in depth than Paoli's as it's a 3d/week module covering handstand, rings, and bar work and seems to be a bit more gymnastics focus than CFGymnastics.

Another option would be CFWeightlifting as they also have a Hybrid CF/WL programming.

Lastly another option would be the BarbellWOD from CalStrength. They have a few tiers in which I think some of 3/4day tiers may focus on the CF/WL. Pair that with theSkillWOD and there you go (mind you, it's $9.95/month for each program).
Old 06-01-2015, 07:40 AM   #3
Nicholas Wheeler

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Micah Gilmore View Post
What do ya'll suggest?
Phillip, I typed out a long drawn out response, but my crappy internet connection killed it somehow, so in short - check out the more advanced version of CFFB - http://powerathletehq.com/fieldstrong/ - I've been following it since Jan and seen better results than I had in years doing 5/3/1, CFFB, CFNE, Outlaw, etc...
Old 06-01-2015, 10:18 AM   #4
Patrick Rushbrook

Profile:

You can check with www.completehumanperformance.com and see if they have openings. I've done really well so far with their coaching. If I recall correctly they have a Crossfit guy on staff. It's nice to have a coach programming workouts specific to your goals, following up on a daily basis, and keeping things interesting. And it's nice to not just be following a template for the masses. I do everything at home too. There's more to it all, but I'm not the person who should be trying to explain it..lol
Old 06-01-2015, 04:18 PM   #5
Phillip Micah Gilmore

Profile:

Thanks for input guys so sounds like I may have to breakdown n pay for some cosching? I was hopin to keep it free as I'm trying to save for few more gym items.
Old 06-01-2015, 08:52 PM   #6
Phillip Micah Gilmore

Profile:

Does anyone follow a strength program and adding a boxes metcon to each day something like that was suggested earlier I believe. I might could do that cause I can semi fit it to my schedule
Old 06-01-2015, 11:54 PM   #7
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

So I actually did some homework AKA going through all your threads to get a rough idea of how strong you are and your lifts.

Quote:
My 3 biggest goals right now would be to get better in Olympic lifts and achieve a muscle up (about to build a place so I can try) and handstand/handstand walk.
TZStrength. You'll need to add in doing HS work at the beginning of every training session but this is easy. And it's free. And you'll be lifting a lot, hitting some metcons.

Invictus. More conditioney, still a lot of WL, you'll need to practice the gymnastics stuff on your own as I don't hardly ever see it programmed in there. I'm gonna guess they do it but it's not programmed in and sort of done whenever. More recognizeable CF metcons if memory serves.

Outlaw: More WL and strength than Invictus, less conditioney.

CFFB doesn't seem to do MUCH WL and the gymnastics would have to be something you added in.

Alex Viada and Co are good I hear but you need to be very specific about what you want. My buddy was under them for awhile and while he was running a CF gym, he just wanted to get stronger rather and his programming always ended up being Cross-Fitty with kipping pullups, WL a few times a week that was meh. OTOH, another buddy told them he just wanted to focus on PL strength and running (he's in the Army) and he loves it. So be specific. I haven't heard of them doing jack with gymnastics though.

Gymnastics stuff: SkillWoD on TrainHeroic. Want something free? I can probably just rip out the HS programming from a program I designed for a beginning hybrid WL/gymnast last summer and send it to you.

-Already got a Handstand? Simple solution. Do more of them a lot, 10-30minutes a day. Practice HS wall runs on a wall and doing them free standing. Then learn how to walk forward, backwards, sideways. Bingo.

- I think EatMoveImprove has a free 30 days HS guide. And so does MoveSkill (though it's now on the TrainHeroic platform so not sure you can still get the free intro program).

http://breakingmuscle.com/gymnastics...tand-happiness wfs BreakingMuscle has a bunch of other HS articles as well. Their series with Roger Harrell should have HS stuff as well.

- On FB, GymnasticBodies did a 30day HS challenge at the beginning of the year. The videos are at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yiM...sKG-EmL6K0quET kinda WFS except women in yoga type clothing might get you funny looks by other people
Old 06-02-2015, 12:08 PM   #8
Jeremy Schultz

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Wheeler View Post
Phillip, I typed out a long drawn out response, but my crappy internet connection killed it somehow, so in short - check out the more advanced version of CFFB - http://powerathletehq.com/fieldstrong/ - I've been following it since Jan and seen better results than I had in years doing 5/3/1, CFFB, CFNE, Outlaw, etc...
+1.

I don't understand guys that make comments like "I want to follow a coach's programming, but I also want to add in some strength work". Do you want to follow a professional's experienced/proven program, or do you want to piecemeal a bunch of stuff together?

IMO, either follow a professional program that fits your goals as it's written, or secret-squirrel your own amateur program and HOPE you get lucky and see some results.
Old 06-02-2015, 07:07 PM   #9
Phillip Micah Gilmore

Profile:

Thanks for the continued suggestions I am not sure what the last strength numbers I posted are, I know they have gone up since then I feel a good bit. I'm in the process now actuall of getting some 1rms since I haven't since last November.
Old 06-02-2015, 09:39 PM   #10
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Quote:
I am not sure what the last strength numbers I posted are
10-22
Front squat 20# increase roughly 10 months, 9.7% increase
Back squat 15# increase roughly 10 months, 5.7% increase
Deadlift 10# increase roughly 10 months, 3.4% increase

Somebody did the math?
Front squat - 205#
Back squat - 265#
Deadlift -295#

BW@#165

You posted a BW FS, a #185 BS right before 2015.

Looked through your posts again for these. Kinda funny, a year ago I said Invictus/Outlaw in a thread about programming. Another was hit the lifts twice each per week, squat and press twice, deadlift once. Andrew Bell mentioned this with DL and rows on Saturday. 3 metcons.