CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 07-08-2011, 12:37 PM   #1
Joshua Paul

Profile:
100 CLEAN pull-ups in a row

Hi everybody! I'm 18-years old and my name is Joshua Paul. I am thinking about a goal to do 100 PROPER TECHNIQUE (Athletic Fitness) pull ups in a row, without letting go of the bar and without my feet touching the ground.

Currently I can do about 15 correct pull ups with a wide grip. I work out my back 1-2 times a week and I do pull-ups, lat pull downs, single arm rows and/or t-bar rows. I would like some help and suggestions - should I continue the way I do at the moment, what should I change etc

My thoughts:

* Should I give up all exercises that work the back besides pull-ups?
* Should I work out other muscles as well (feet, chest, triceps etc?) or should I minimize the frequency of these workouts?

Any good videos are more than recommended - I did not find one person who has a similar goal. And I am not talking about kipping pull-ups.

I understand that to achieve 100 pull-ups, my body weight has to be minimal. But what would be the best weight ratio for doing that? Currently I am about 75 kg, my fat % is about 8-9 and I am on my mass period.

I also understand that this goal takes a lot of time to get there. But I am pretty motivated. I am thinking about 3-5 years to get there. Is this too much or too little?

ANY RECOMMENDATIONS ARE MORE THAN WELCOME!
Old 07-08-2011, 12:45 PM   #2
Rebecca Roth

Profile:
Re: 100 CLEAN pull-ups in a row

What exactly is a "PROPER TECHNIQUE (Athletic Fitness) pull ups"?
Old 07-08-2011, 12:50 PM   #3
Joshua Paul

Profile:

There is a sample video explaining the correct technique:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UEJWJu6uXM You must indicate whether your links are Work and Family Safe (WFS)
Old 07-08-2011, 01:05 PM   #4
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

These are just dead hang pullups, calling them "proper" is without context. If you are planning on doing 100 pullups for competition, then what is proper depends entirely on the competitions standard for the movement - in CF we use both dead hang and gymnastic kipping pullups, but it wouldn't be out of question to see one or the other exclusively required specifically as the standard in competition.
If you want to get 100 dead hang pullups, you are going to have to seriously work at it and develop incredible strength and control of your your bodyweight. As far as I know (from a previous poster here) the world record is only about 130, so 100 is quite a feat.
Old 07-08-2011, 01:09 PM   #5
Shane Skowron

Profile:

50 might be a better intermediate goal...
Old 07-08-2011, 01:12 PM   #6
Michael Dowling

Profile:

100 dead hangs would be nuts, if you get there let me know how you did it. in my prime i got 40 something.
Old 07-08-2011, 01:17 PM   #7
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

I'm sure it's doable, although it would come at the expense of getting stronger at all sorts of other things. But if you decide to make it your life purpose, go for it.
Old 07-08-2011, 01:35 PM   #8
Joshua Paul

Profile:

Everything is doable. Human body has little limits I believe. I did not raise this topic to be questioned or disbelieved in, I would like to gather as much information as possible about the process how this kind of goal should be achieved.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:10 PM   #9
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

Joshua, just out of curiosity, what is the current record for THAT type of pull-up shown in the video? (Which includes shoulder protraction and a brief pause at the bottom, chin over the bar, and no leg movement at all). I just want to know how close to the record the number 100 is.

I honestly ask because I haven't seen anyone hitting 40 with such perfect technique. In fact, the very few Youtube videos of guys who hit 40, are all emplying almost each and every point that your sample video calls "Incorrect", ie: not full extension at the bottom, body swings a little bit (not like a full crossfit kip, but there is a very clear body movement in a guy's 35th pull-up that when view side-by-side to his 5th makes it look quite different). And none of these guys seem to let their shoulders go so high in between reps or do a pause.

The funny thing is, all of these "Correct" techniques is how I train my pull-ups!! LOL. I thought almost noone else did them like this. I asked a guy I know, a gymnast who said could do 40 strict deadhangs, and I asked and pointed out all these little things I just mentioned, and he dropped to 31 with this super strict form. This guy can also do 5 one-arm pull-ups each arm and one 1-arm pull-up holding 35# at BW ~160# and I've seen video of both of these (not the strictest form, but still....).

This should at least give you an idea how of doable 100 consecutive pull-ups in this fashion are. I know you said you didn't post this to be questioned, and I'm sorry if it seems I'm questioning you. I'm genuinely curuious: what's the current record in this fashion? Sorry for not really being able to help you with this goal!
Old 07-08-2011, 02:22 PM   #10
Shannon Moon

Profile:

I would say look up the current record and any and all info you can on the training of a pull-up and any variety of them. Set a short term goal and then go from there. There is a sit called body weight culture .com that has a ton of info on body weight exercises. Also beast skills .com. I am currently learning body weight exercises and how to improve my physical abilities, so good luck on your goals.