CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 01-15-2007, 07:25 AM   #1
Josh Gaffney

Profile:
Hey all,
Pretty new to crossfit, started messing around in early november, been doing the WODs fairly consistently since mid-December. Previously I had been doing bjj 3-4 days a week, along with 2 swimming workouts and 1-2 additional cardio type workouts. Now it's just the bjj and 3-5 CF workouts a week. Since I switched to CF I've seen good gains in terms of strength and haven't felt any dimunition in cardio while rolling. I've got a bjj/grapping tournament coming up in mid-february. My question for any of the bjj/grappling/wrestling people out there is whether I'm better off continuing to follow the randomness of the WODs in the next few weeks, or if I should sub in more of the met-con type CF workouts in an effort to sharpen my cardio?
Thanks.
Old 01-15-2007, 08:33 AM   #2
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:
I would personally maintain status quo with a short deload before competition.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:42 AM   #3
Jeff Chapman

Profile:
A couple of things. Are you cutting weight to get to a certain class? If your contest is in mid-Feb, I would start a taper out about 2 weeks, if you aren't cutting weight. Possibly look at doing a few more met-con sessions. Strength is going to be there as long as you aren't cutting to much. Also, final week before comp, train positioning and try to stay away from any really intense grappling. Visualize being aggresive and imposing your will. Have a loose gameplan, and rely on your conditioning to be better (if you think it is) then your opponents. Good luck.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:41 AM   #4
Josh Gaffney

Profile:
Thanks for the replies. Jeff - I'm not really out to "cut" any weight, I'm running around 210 right now, I'd need to get to 199 to make the next weight class down. I'd like to get there, but I'm just going to keep my diet on a leash, and if I make it great, if not, I'll compete heavyweight. Also, weigh-ins are the same day as the comp and I don't want to have to deal with feeling dehydrated. Although I've made 199 for a few previous competitions, I've found that even with the limited time I've been CF'ing, I've gained some additional muscle mass (210 now, but I'm a leaner than I was at 205 two months ago), which may make it tougher this time around. I'm mainly concerned with whether following the random WODs will give me enough cardio work or if I should drop some of the "pure" strength WODs that come up in favor of met-con stuff.
Old 01-15-2007, 12:43 PM   #5
Jeff Chapman

Profile:
My college track coach always used to tell me...no one knows your body better then you! If you think you are lacking in the cardio area...you might want to met-con a little. I have been doing BJJ for 10 years, and have competed alot, usually I know when I am in "grappling" shape and when I am not. The best advice I can give you is to stay aggresive and work your game on your opponent.
Old 01-15-2007, 12:44 PM   #6
Adam Morden

Profile:
Hi Josh,

Coming from a wrestling background, I would suggest you stick to the WOD's as RX'd and then on ME days add in some anearobicly-intense rolling drills (IE positional escape drills where you stay in the middle and others cycle in fresh for say 30 min then rest 5 min repeat) This will give you the "cardio" gains you are looking for with the added benefit of excellent skills practice.

email me steelcitycrossfit(at)gmail.com if you want to chat about it.

Cheers,
Adam
Old 01-15-2007, 09:35 PM   #7
Laura Rucker

Profile:
Two resources to tap who combine grappling/fighting with CF training.

Darby Darrow - Trains students/fighters for BJJ and uses CrossFit - visits this forum.

John Hackleman - John's number is on his site http://thepit.tv - he is very accessible and also available via this forum.
Old 01-16-2007, 07:07 AM   #8
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:
My $0.02

Stay the course with the WODs. Continue to grapple and follow Jeff's advice. I would work on more grappling specific conditioning instead of changing the WODs. It's too much to think about to change the WODs, just do them or scale them down. Find more ways to get in your conditioning while doing BJJ. Nothing wins like more mat time.

For example:
5 rounds for time
10 take downs, 10 sprawls

roll for 10 minutes straight changing to a fresh partner every 2 minutes.

sprint, squat, take down, grapple in various combinations.

buddy carries.

Good luck...and I would also try to cut that 10 pounds by then just to so you can feel like the big guy in the lighter weightclass instead of the tiniest heavyweight.
Old 01-16-2007, 04:09 PM   #9
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Hi Josh, welcome aboard.

Moving to CrossPit, where the martial arts questions go.