CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 11-15-2015, 07:45 AM   #1
Richard Macaulay

Profile:
EMOM

Hey folks

Not sure if many of you use EMOM, but we have been putting into our senior players gym sessions for short while now with great results.

Obviously is has conditioning benefits and as rugby players operating on a stop/start basis it has great carry over. What we didn't expect was just how successful it has been for building muscle.

I should say that the guys are working hard on their nutrition just now and that is the crux of gaining size, but adding this in has made a big difference.

We have been using this set up (progress with weights/reps is based on the lifter successfully completing each stage):
Week one - 8 reps on the minute for 8 minutes
Week two - 10 reps on the minute for 8 minutes
Week three - 12 reps on the minute for 8 minutes

Week four - change movements or increase weight and start at week one again.

I would love any suggestions on how to make it better or alter the progressions, but it is working just now.

Thoughts I would share

Rich

Last edited by Richard Macaulay : 11-15-2015 at 07:58 AM.
Old 11-17-2015, 02:44 AM   #2
Alex Burden

Profile:
Re: EMOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Macaulay View Post
Hey folks
We have been using this set up (progress with weights/reps is based on the lifter successfully completing each stage):
Week one - 8 reps on the minute for 8 minutes
Week two - 10 reps on the minute for 8 minutes
Week three - 12 reps on the minute for 8 minutes
Rich
There are loads of different ways... a simple one just switch things around your original to test progress. Just based on your original:

Week one - EMOM for 8 minutes - odd minute 8 reps, even minute 10 reps
Week two - EMOM for 8 minutes - odd minute 10 reps, even minute 8 reps
Week three - EMOM for 8 minutes - odd minute 10 reps, even minute 12 reps

Week one - EMOM for 8 minutes - minute 1-4 =8 reps, minute 5-8 10 reps
Week two - EMOM for 8 minutes - minute 1-4 =10 reps, minute 5-8 8 reps
Week three - EMOM for 8 minutes - minute 1-4 =10 reps, minute 5-8 12 reps

Week one - EMOM for 8 minutes - minute 1-4 =10 reps, minute 5-8 12 reps
Week two - EMOM for 8 minutes - minute 1-4 =12 reps, minute 5-8 14 reps
Week three - EMOM for 8 minutes - minute 1-4 =14 reps, minute 5-8 16 reps

and the list can go on and on...
Old 11-27-2015, 12:21 AM   #3
David Meverden

Profile:

Rich,

What movements are you using for your EMOMs? Most CrossFit programs that put in EMOMs use heavy weight and low reps, such as 2 power cleans on the minute. Sounds like you're working more on muscle endurance and muscle mass than absolute strength or power. I'd like to hear more.

I see EMOMs as a very time efficient way to get in some training density for strength, with some of the effectiveness at building strength being traded in for some conditioning.
Old 11-28-2015, 06:33 AM   #4
Richard Macaulay

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Meverden View Post
Rich,

What movements are you using for your EMOMs? Most CrossFit programs that put in EMOMs use heavy weight and low reps, such as 2 power cleans on the minute. Sounds like you're working more on muscle endurance and muscle mass than absolute strength or power. I'd like to hear more.

I see EMOMs as a very time efficient way to get in some training density for strength, with some of the effectiveness at building strength being traded in for some conditioning.
Hi David

Thanks for getting In touch. I agree that this set up is slightly different from the CF norm. Our goal is teaching team young athletes about some basic movements, but allowing them to train on their own at times without worrying about the complexity of the session potentially leading to injury (of course it is always a risk).

We are trying to work on conditioning and some hypertrophy. We focus on diet a lot to.

Two sessions a week. We rotate main lifts to allow our lifters a break and to cycle in lifts. Usually something like this:

Monday
EMOM for 8 minutes
8 Shoulder press
EMOM for 8 minutes
8 Chin up

Assistance and to fill in the gaps
3x8-12
Unilateral squat
Rear raise

Thursday
EMOM for 8 minutes
8 Chest press
EMOM for 8 minutes
8 Row/hang clean etc

Assistance and to fill in the gaps
3x8-12
Sldl
Curls/Extensions

That would be week one. Week two we would do something similar except we would do 10 reps instead of 8. The third week we might up the weight and go back down to 8 reps, or we might keep the same weight and go up to 12 reps.

After a cycle or two we might alter our movements.

We are avoiding heavy squats during the season although we do cycle them in every so often. We tend to keep to unilateral work during the season, still upping the weight but not the same volume as the offseason.

Assistance work can change weekly to keep it fresh for the guys (to avoid boredom).
As we move from 8 reps a minute to potentially 12 we drop he assistance work back to avoid too much fatigue.

Hope that helps.

Rich
Old 12-04-2015, 09:56 AM   #5
David Meverden

Profile:

Thanks Rich, I see more where you're going. Seems like a good way to increase work capacity and get in a very time efficient workout. I'm curious as to why you don't alternate exercises though. Have you tried:

Every minute on the minute for 16 minutes:
Odd minutes:
8 Shoulder press
Even minutes:
8 Chin up

It would give you ~90 seconds rest to a muscle group rather than about ~40 seconds so you could get a little heavier work in without the workout taking any longer. Maybe a little less benefit in terms of muscle endurance, but it's still a pretty short rest.

Or you could just do the whole thing as a circuit. Press first minute, chins second minute, left or right leg split squat the third minute, maybe rest the 4th minute, and repeat.
Old 12-04-2015, 01:48 PM   #6
Shawn M Wilson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Meverden View Post
Thanks Rich, I see more where you're going. Seems like a good way to increase work capacity and get in a very time efficient workout. I'm curious as to why you don't alternate exercises though. Have you tried:

Every minute on the minute for 16 minutes:
Odd minutes:
8 Shoulder press
Even minutes:
8 Chin up

It would give you ~90 seconds rest to a muscle group rather than about ~40 seconds so you could get a little heavier work in without the workout taking any longer. Maybe a little less benefit in terms of muscle endurance, but it's still a pretty short rest.

Or you could just do the whole thing as a circuit. Press first minute, chins second minute, left or right leg split squat the third minute, maybe rest the 4th minute, and repeat.
I've done some like these and they do give rest while keeping HR up
Old 12-06-2015, 11:45 PM   #7
Kenneth Cheung

Profile:

generally speaking L2 cert was discouraging the use of EMOMs (i assume in a class programming structure rather than individual) due to the complexity of maintaining intensity was the EMOM format.

but if you were programming individually i love them for their ability to help you pace yourself.

e.g. Cindy done as emom (5pullup, 10 pushup/15 squat) is basically 20min of chelsea - and thats a great way to learn how to pace yourself.

at the same time, as mentioned, lowering the reps and upping the weight will help maintain the intensity whilst changing the stimulus.

so in your 3 week progression, you could either -

1. keep the reps the same and up the load

-or-

2. up the reps and keep the load the same

depending on what you were trying to achieve. so long as you maintain intensity, you're ok.