CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 10-10-2015, 04:30 PM   #21
Anthony Giurato

Profile:
Re: Additional (heavy) lifts rep scheme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
What do you mean by 7 heavy lifts?
By glancing at the site, the novice program at CrossFit Football has you squatting twice, benching, pressing, cleaning, deadlifting, and doing pull-ups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludovic Deguy View Post
By lifting heavy twice a week I mean trying to max out twice a week on a big lift (one squat / deadlift variation and one press variation), if possible with 3 days between the two heavy sessions.
Good advice. I'm using the term heavy more loosely. It can mean sets at bit lower. If your max is 5x300, then even doing 5x250 would be what I consider heavy. But what you say make sense.

FYI, based on everything sent in this thread, I'll aim to do one exercise "heavy" on Saturdays where I aim for a new 1/2/3/5 rep max if I'm feeling good, or just a little lower if I'm not. After that, I'll typically aim to do one or two more strength exercises as accessory work.

Right now my numbers aren't very high, so I'll keep doing things as I have been. As my strength and endurance both increase, I assume that I'll be hitting both my lifts and metcons harder and need more time to recover. And as I see numbers stalling or my quality of life going down (from being overly fatigued) I'll look to cut out a longer metcon.

I appreciate everyone's feedback and advice. If anything I said above still seems like a bad idea, let me know.
Old 10-12-2015, 03:50 AM   #22
Ludovic Deguy

Profile:
Re: Additional (heavy) lifts rep scheme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Giurato View Post
Good advice. I'm using the term heavy more loosely. It can mean sets at bit lower. If your max is 5x300, then even doing 5x250 would be what I consider heavy. But what you say make sense.
FYI, based on everything sent in this thread, I'll aim to do one exercise "heavy" on Saturdays where I aim for a new 1/2/3/5 rep max if I'm feeling good, or just a little lower if I'm not. After that, I'll typically aim to do one or two more strength exercises as accessory work.
Right now my numbers aren't very high, so I'll keep doing things as I have been. As my strength and endurance both increase, I assume that I'll be hitting both my lifts and metcons harder and need more time to recover. And as I see numbers stalling or my quality of life going down (from being overly fatigued) I'll look to cut out a longer metcon.

Both approaches can work : with max weights and with sub maximum weights for 2, 3, 5 or more reps, some training programs combines the two.

But hitting a heavy set of 5 reps and a heavy single is not the same stimulus. A set of multiple reps is kind of a grind where a heavy single is applying your full power to the bar.

It really depends on your objective, but to me, if you really want to improve your absolute strength, as long as your technique is good, going for 1-rep maxes often is the way to go.

If you want to improve everything at the same time (Crossfit style yo !), not so much, you probably need to mix up several rep schemes.