CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-28-2015, 09:21 AM   #1
Jose Soriano

Profile:
Velocity Diet workout questions

Hey folks, I've stalled and feel frustrated and felt like it was time for a bit of a change in my plan, so I'm looking at the v-diet as a potential just to do something fresh. I understand the "meal" plan for it, and how unpleasant it is, but my questions are really about the logic in the workout section.

Specifically, some of the load vs reps.

I'm looking at both the intermediate and advanced workouts, and they proscribe stuff like
Reps: 20 total per exercise
Rest: 30 seconds between each set
Load: Heavy (4-5 RM)
A) Front squat
B) Chin-Up / Pull-Up

I can't help but feel that, if your "heavy" load is 4-5 rep max, with 30 seconds in between, and you're expected to hit 20 total, then that simply isn't your 4-5 RM... especially not without lowering weight, which I had to go back and double check.

When I do a 4-5 RM currently, my second and third sets are 10% back off sets after 2-3 minutes rest. There's no way I'm going back to move the same weight again, and especially not 15 more times, regardless of how much rest.

And then to move on to like 4 other exercises after that?

I'm I reading this wrong?
Old 09-28-2015, 10:00 AM   #2
Luke Sirakos

Profile:
Re: Velocity Diet workout questions

If you are trying to lose a bunch of weight in a short period of time, let me recommend The Rapid Fat Loss Diet instead. While it is still difficult it isn't as ridiculous as the velocity diet since you eat actual food while still achieving a ton of fat loss in a short period of time.

You can read about my experience with it here:

http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=88636 (wfs)

It has been over three months since that post and I still have not regained the weight I lost.
Old 09-28-2015, 10:47 AM   #3
Jose Soriano

Profile:

I remember reading that a while back, and it interested me. I downloaded the book and looked at it, but it annoyed me that at 31 pages in after a little graph and math formulas, there's a line that says "Pretty simple, really."

After skimming the book again, I don't see any actual work out plan to go along with the 30 different formulas provided, and to be honest, I'm kind of sick of reading stuff at this point, which is another reason why v-diet is appealing. There's no thought required. I've been reading and trying and changing and tweaking for like 5 years now, and while I've made improvements, I just want to sit back and do something simple and to the point for a couple of weeks to get some results.

I like the appeal of "drink stuff until you can't, do this workout til you can't, 4 weeks later, you're bf is lower."

I do plan on doing a slightly modified version of it which allows for 1 healthy meal a day to prevent insanity, which brings me back to the workout - it seems like insanity, not in its unpleasantness, but in its feasibility.

That said, the plan itself doesn't matter, if I can get something in checklist/spreadsheet form that allows for the one healthy meal approach, because I'm basically already doing that, and it's the easiest for me to sustain at this point.

Like I said, I'm a little frustrated and burned out. I was making good progress, up to a 275 back squat working weight from a starting point of like 135, and 305 deadlift from like 155, and similar improvements across the board, but then I hurt my tailbone in January, and have been struggling ever since. I just got back to 245 last week, and while I see some improvement, visually, my bf% has only dropped like 2% from 24%, and my weight has only gone down like 10lbs.

edit to add: also, I can't do the 3 caffeine pills a day. I've tried hot rox and vpx meltdown, and 1 makes me anxious, 2 make me twitchy and make my heart race. I expect 3 might be a full on heart attack.

Last edited by Jose Soriano : 09-28-2015 at 11:00 AM.
Old 09-28-2015, 11:35 AM   #4
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

If you actually bought the book and didn't download it illegally it came with a calculator that would do all the math for you. It really is as simple as it gets. I would advise you stay away from the velocity diet but if you decide to do it be sure to update us, I would be interested in hearing how it goes.
Old 09-28-2015, 01:43 PM   #5
Jose Soriano

Profile:

I didn't download it illegally lol it's up for view at ironmagazine, among other locations; it's the second google link when you search for the handbook.

Anyway, I'm not confused by the formulas or the info in the book, most of it is, afaik, pretty readily available info:

eat 1000-1500 deficit
1g protein p/lb
multivitamin + omega3/6
lean proteins and veggies, carbs depending on exercise level
etc.

But it doesn't actually provide a workout routine to complement the diet. I'm curious, what does the calculator add? Is it just figuring out body fat % and macro counts? Because I have most of that info burned into my brain already, it's just not working as well as I would like.
Old 09-28-2015, 05:55 PM   #6
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

You are overthinking the whole workout thing. You are going to be in a SEVERE caloric deficit, you don't need to have some perfect routine, you just need to maintain your lean mass.

There is a sample workout in the book as well.