CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-03-2015, 01:47 PM   #11
Jason A Smith

Profile:
Re: Crossfit ting from home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Micah Gilmore View Post
So I crossfit from home, have been for about 3 to 3 1/2 years. I just can't make time to drive 40 min one way to the closest box and pay the membership fee. Plus I have managed to slowly get a good home gym going and I love it so motivation and doing it by myself aren't issues (my wife even jumps in some).

My one issue is programming. I've read a lot of articles and boards n even the level 1 journal online. So I think I could make a decent program on my own however I'd rather follow someone who does it professionally. For the first year i was all about learning n just getting in better shape. I kind of cherry picked from about 3 sites and did random stuff just trying to learn n get used to it (I also didn't have a lot of equipment so I did the wod I had equipment for). In the other 2ish years I've gotten more serious (I might be addicted haha). But I followed 5/3/1 + met cons for while, then crossfit mayhem, and for past 6 months cffb. My goal w crossfit mayhem was to become more rounded. With cffb it was to add strength and it has very nicely although there is still more.

I am trying to decide between following a affiliate again or jumping to collegiate on cffb. Here is what I'm looking for continued strength gains, but I want more Olympic lifts than what cffb amateur provides and more gymnastics stuff. My 3 biggest goals right now would be to get better in Olympic lifts and achieve a muscle up (about to build a place so I can try) and handstand/handstand walk.

Cffb collegiate adds more Olympic moves it seems and I've thought about just adding time myself to work on weakness/goals. I also struggle with affiliates that don't program rest days I feel I'm missing when they program for 6 days of the week and I do 4-5.

What do ya'll suggest?
what are your lifts at ? What equipment limitations do you have ? would you pay someone to write a program specifically for you and your goals. Do you have any time constraints, how about mobility and movement issues ?
Old 06-03-2015, 09:05 PM   #12
Phillip Micah Gilmore

Profile:

In those lifts I have recently hit a 300# bs, 330# deadlift and 230# fs, strict press is 135#. Hoping to get a snatch n clean 1 rm this by this weekend to see where they are too.
Still at bodyweight of 165-168. It fluctuates during the day.

As far as equipment limitations I don't have a sled or heavy med ball. I'm about to make a place for muscle ups/rope climbs and hopefully buy a rope.

I have rower, squat rack w pull-up bar, barbell, bumpers, Ghd, wall ball, box jumps, rope. Bike

I don't have any big mobility issues I need to get better about it though n work on little more ankle mobility for bottom position.

I might be open to someone making my wods. Depends on price mainly. I'm not looking to compete in the games/ regionals necessarily but am super motivated to be the fittest I can this is strongest and best conditioning I've ever had

Last edited by Phillip Micah Gilmore : 06-03-2015 at 09:05 PM. Reason: Left part out
Old 06-04-2015, 03:51 PM   #13
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Sounds like you are getting stronger.

If someone is handling your training, it's gonna cost some bucks man. That's just how it is. Starting at $100-200/month.

Oh there are the virtual club training programs that are on TrainHeroic which are like $10/month. Not specialized though. Same as following Outlaw or Invictus or TZ except it sort of makes you a part of a club and feel responsible to the program. Which can be a good thing.
Old 06-09-2015, 02:38 PM   #14
Ryan Hoegner

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Wheeler View Post
Phillip, I typed out a long drawn out response, but my crappy internet connection killed it somehow, so in short - check out the more advanced version of CFFB - http://powerathletehq.com/fieldstrong/ - I've been following it since Jan and seen better results than I had in years doing 5/3/1, CFFB, CFNE, Outlaw, etc...
I just jumped on this too and it's fun. the online support an app are fantastic. At the end of the day it's just easier to have somebody tell you what to do
Old 06-09-2015, 09:44 PM   #15
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Quote:
At the end of the day it's just easier to have somebody tell you what to do
I hate that.
Old 06-10-2015, 08:41 AM   #16
Shawn M Wilson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Hoegner View Post
At the end of the day it's just easier to have somebody tell you what to do
I get that at home. Easier yes. As much fun, meh
Old 06-10-2015, 08:49 AM   #17
Ryan Hoegner

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe View Post
I hate that.
LOL

At 40 with 3 kids, a full time job, a gym and coaching little league, it just makes my life that much easier. I open the app, it says "do this", I do it, feel good and go home. It actually makes me warm-up which is a huge bonus. All the plyo work is really helping a 1.5 year old knee surgery (patellar rupture), too. It's also fun being part of an online community again.

Ryan
Old 06-10-2015, 10:46 AM   #18
Ryan Hoegner

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn M Wilson View Post
I get that at home. Easier yes. As much fun, meh
nailed it! haha
Old 06-10-2015, 11:49 PM   #19
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Quote:
At 40 with 3 kids, a full time job, a gym and coaching little league, it just makes my life that much easier. I open the app, it says "do this", I do it, feel good and go home. It actually makes me warm-up which is a huge bonus. All the plyo work is really helping a 1.5 year old knee surgery (patellar rupture), too.
Very true, BTDT and when I've been so swamped and just want to do something quick and be done, it works.
Old 07-23-2015, 08:29 AM   #20
Ryan Hoegner

Profile:

Bumping this. I'm almost 2 months into Field Strong and really enjoying it. It's a lot less volume than I am used to, but it's certainly working. I pulled 475 for 3 last night and probably could have went 5. All the sled work is definetely helping.