CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 04-14-2008, 05:26 PM   #1
Michael Hu

Profile:
Question on the crossfit pullups

Hey guys,

I've seen many videos of crossfitters do pullups where they are basically doing it really fast and swinging as they do the pullups; is there a reason for doing this? I thought pullups are more effective when they are done slowly and with no swinging motion, because you're not using the momentum of the swings to help you.
Old 04-14-2008, 05:35 PM   #2
David Schneider

Profile:
Re: Question on the crossfit pullups

Those are called "Kipping" pull-ups and are very much accepted within the CF community. You can get information about kipping on the main site under the different exercises and FAQ.

-David
Old 04-14-2008, 05:50 PM   #3
Derek Maffett

Profile:

http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=25684 wfs

Read. If it doesn't quite cover everything, use the search engine to find more on this (there's plenty).

The short of it is that it's a full body movement and allows more reps/more work capacity which makes it better for metcons. There's also weighted pull-ups and L pull-ups if you want stricter stuff, but don't discount the kipping pull-up. I can still bust out about 20 deadhangs despite not having practiced them in a long time. When I was doing deadhangs only, I had about the same numbers, but I had no coordination for kipping. Which is bad.

Edit: Having re-read your question, you're talking about momentum conservation. That's exactly what was talked about in the link.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:03 PM   #4
Carl Pawluk

Profile:

The way I see it...if I do 3 sets of 10 strict pull-ups, I've just got a decent lat workout. If I do 50 kipping pull-ups, I've just got a damn good workout from the waist up. With Kipping pull-ups, I really notice a core workout also.

Not to mention the practicality of the movement. In life, if there's a situation where I need to pull my rear-end out of a situation, ie firefighting, I don't care how I get up, I just want to get up.

Just my opinion. I think pull-ups are great either way, but if you try kipping pull-ups for a while, you'll see that it's more than just a lat movement. Funny thing is, when I first started I asked the same question.

I don't want to drink the kool-aid, I want to swim in it!!
Old 04-14-2008, 10:23 PM   #5
Justin Shipley

Profile:

what Carl said
Old 04-15-2008, 09:40 AM   #6
Ron Horn

Profile:

Coach Glassman's explanation of why to use the kipping pullup:

http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/C...g1-Concept.wmv
Old 04-15-2008, 09:48 AM   #7
Chip Moore

Profile:

When people ask me about kipping pull-ups and if I'm "cheating", I have responded recently by saying "Kipping pull-ups and strict pull-ups are just two completely different exercises." Not exactly true per se, but there are pros and cons to each one, and I think it just helps people get over the brainwashing that everyone gets regarding the kip.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:01 AM   #8
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Moore View Post
When people ask me about kipping pull-ups and if I'm "cheating", I have responded recently by saying "Kipping pull-ups and strict pull-ups are just two completely different exercises." Not exactly true per se, but there are pros and cons to each one, and I think it just helps people get over the brainwashing that everyone gets regarding the kip.
An old buddy of mine has watched some of the CF videos I'd sent him, then he asked the same thing and calls kipping pull ups "cheating." I just kind of laughed. He knows I've been CFing for about a year, and he's coming to visit tonight, so we are going to my affiliate tomorrow night for his first ever CF WOD. My trainers already worked out the WOD which will include pull ups (hell - the warm up includes pull ups, so that ought to show him something!).

Anyway, if I recall correctly it will be 3 rounds for time of:
15 knees to elbows
15 wall ball
15 pull ups
15 thrusters @ 95#

Even with the rips in both of my hands that I have from Saturday's WOD - I have a feeling (a pretty darn GOOD feeling) that I will be done with the WOD while he is somewhere in the beginning his second round.