CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 04-11-2008, 12:51 PM   #1
David Schneider

Profile:
WOD - Deadlift PR's Baby!

Hello friends,

I had to play catch up again today and do yesterdays WOD which was DL's at 1-1-1-1-1-1-1.

I have been trying to get closer to the 400# mark and through out the last 6 months of straight lifting, whenever I tried I was never able to pull it.

Well today I warmed up with some reps of 245# then I went into the WOD. I pulled 315# first, then I loaded up 345# and hit that pretty easily. Then I was wondering wether I should just load little by little or go for the big one because I didn't know if I should wait until my last rep to try and hit my PR, I thought I would be way to gassed. So I said screw it and loaded up the bar with pretty much every weight I have in my garage. Chalked my self up and went for gold.

I did it Carl! I pulled 405# my first time through. Starting yelling, possibly scaring the neighbors a bit. After a few minutes I decided that one good turn deserves another and went for it again. This time I pulled it even cleaner than my first time. You have no idea how great that felt. After that I scaled down a bit because that took a lot out of me but I finished the last 3 reps at 385# which was my previous PR. So my set looked like 315#, 345, 405(PR), 405(PR), 385, 385, 385.

So after many months of just lifting weights and not making much progress, I do Crossfit for less than a month and Bang out 405#, twice. I love it.

Seriously, you couldn't smack the cheese-ball grin of my face!

Have a good one everybody,

Have fun, Train hard...

-David
Old 04-11-2008, 02:08 PM   #2
Sean Dunston

Profile:
Re: WOD - Deadlift PR's Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Schneider View Post

I did it Carl! I pulled 405# my first time through. Starting yelling, possibly scaring the neighbors a bit. After a few minutes I decided that one good turn deserves another and went for it again. This time I pulled it even cleaner than my first time. You have no idea how great that felt. After that I scaled down a bit because that took a lot out of me but I finished the last 3 reps at 385# which was my previous PR. So my set looked like 315#, 345, 405(PR), 405(PR), 385, 385, 385.

-David
Great job! Those are phenomenal pulls!

PS: I do! I remember how great it felt when I first pulled 405 - totally awesome.
Old 04-11-2008, 02:14 PM   #3
David Schneider

Profile:

Thanks Sean, much appreciated. I'm stoked! From what I gather, you have some pretty amazing pulls yourself considering you "remember when you first pulled 405#". Congrats to you too buddy, that's amazing.

Now I have found my place in the 400#DL club, finally!

-David
Old 04-11-2008, 02:42 PM   #4
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Thanks, David.
Yeah... I'm just a little guy (5'7" and 160#) but I am determined to join the 1,000# CFT club. Seems that the easiest way for me to do it is by increasing the Dead and Squat - and the Dead seems to increase faster than the Squat.

At my affiliate's last CFT in January I hit 435# on the Dead (my total was 960#). I was totally amazed.

We haven't worked much on heavy Deads since then, but we did do a WOD on Wednesday night of 21-15-9 that incorporated 225# Deads in it (in addition to box jumps and ring dips).

Of course, now I want to get it to 455#
Then the pinnacle: 495# (10 plates on the bar -- whoopee!)

Keep up the good work!
Old 04-11-2008, 03:20 PM   #5
David Schneider

Profile:

Holy crap Sean, I guess big pulls come in small packages That's crazy that you can crank out weight like that being so small. You certainly have my respect.

I will do my best to keep up the good work and constant progress, you do the same my friend.

I forsee an admission into the 1000# CFT club in your near future...

Good Luck!

Have fun, Train hard...

-David
Old 04-11-2008, 04:46 PM   #6
Carl Pawluk

Profile:

David and Sean,

WOW!

I did 245/245/265(failed)/245/255/255/255. How weak!

But hey, I've just started to do olympic lifts, so I guess I've got to start somewhere huh?

I skipped the metcon today. I've got a hoop game tomorrow and want to rest my legs.

Great job on the PR David!
Old 04-11-2008, 04:59 PM   #7
David Schneider

Profile:

Thanks Carl, appreciated. Today was an excellent day!

Nice job on your lifts you too buddy! If you stick with it for a little while you will see your lifts, especially your deads, really get up there. Just stay the course and attack the lifts.

Good luck in your game tomorrow. I replied to your e-mail but i'm not sure if it went through or not, I had some trouble setting up my account. If you ever want to come to "DAS.GYM" (a.k.a. my garage) just let me know. It would be a really good place to do the deadlift thing.

Have a good one,

-David
Old 04-11-2008, 08:35 PM   #8
Ryan Green

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Pawluk View Post
David and Sean,

WOW!

I did 245/245/265(failed)/245/255/255/255. How weak!

But hey, I've just started to do olympic lifts, so I guess I've got to start somewhere huh?

I skipped the metcon today. I've got a hoop game tomorrow and want to rest my legs.

Great job on the PR David!
Not weak at all. Keep with it and you'll be advancing in no time!