CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 02-09-2012, 06:25 AM   #1
Kevin McCahill

Profile:
Reverse grip for all overhead stuff?

I have mojor impingement in my left shoulder due to imbalances and major forward rotation. (poor posture, tight pecs, overdeveloped traps...etc.) Been to PT, foam and lax ball rolling like crazy with no substantial relief.

Yesterday I reversed and widened my grip and did some chin ups. It felt great so used DB's and did reverse grip presses.

I've heard of neutral presses but I'm talking about almost a full twist of the grip (palms facing me during the press)...it is tricky but it clears me of my impingement.

Anyone ever do this?

Thanks!
Old 02-09-2012, 08:49 AM   #2
Kevin McCahill

Profile:
Re: Reverse grip for all overhead stuff?

I guess I'm asking about supinated overhead presses....not much chatter on the boards about them.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:28 AM   #3
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

I have done many a funky chicken movement to stay active. I used a football bar for my shoulder when it was hurt and that helped a good deal. I used cable presses and tons of other presses that didn't aggravate my shoulder. If it is helping while you recover I say go for it.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:55 PM   #4
Kevin McCahill

Profile:

Thanks Bill, yeah it looks kind of silly "chicken dance-like", but after all it is just me and my garage.

I was just asking since every lifting/gymnastics exercise on Earth has been tossed onto these boards. I didn't want to make this adjustment and hear from more experienced lifters that it can cause sever elbow or back euromysotisis or something! (not a real injury for you Seinfeld fans.)
Old 02-09-2012, 06:03 PM   #5
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

I dig reverse grip bench lately but something I am thinking with a reverse grip DB or OHP press is ROM. I doubt you are truly going to get a true open shoulder.

I would have to angle my arms a bit to the outside, off vertical to get it truly overhead.

I'd try the neutral grip on the DB OHP.

For now, when I do PU, I stick to a neutral or supinated grip. I can do them pronated, but sometimes my left elbow doesn't like it much.

I know you probably don't care about full ROM with a reverse/supinated grip using a DB, but it will limit what you can press to some degree since the DB would not be inline exactly with your body.

Better than nothing.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:40 PM   #6
Kevin Carey

Profile:

A fat bar might help, also. EliteFTS fat grips fit over a regular bar, which makes them a cheap alternative that can fit in any rack and be used anywhere you go.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:02 AM   #7
Kevin McCahill

Profile:

Thanks guys...good advice. I looked up those fat grips. They look pretty cool but how would they help my pronated press/pullup pain? I am not questioning them, just asking becasue I am excited to be able to "go overhead" and am up for any tricks.

Blair, yes my ROM is spotty when supinating grip and DB's. I create much more of a "V" press than a sturdy vertical press. I'll give up weight to be able to enjoy the movement again.

The barbell locks my hands into the grip so I can press with more force. It does however look more like a snatch press because I have to widen the grip to account for the supination.

Happy to hear another avid cfitter is doing this...right, anything to keep me in the game and better than nothing!
Old 02-10-2012, 08:38 AM   #8
Kevin Carey

Profile:

I'm not sure how using a fat bar works, physiologically speaking- but I do know it's used to relieve pressure on the shoulders when pressing, and it'll give you some big forearms.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:25 AM   #9
Steven Low

Profile:

You may need more scapular related stability work
Old 02-10-2012, 12:47 PM   #10
Dana Rice

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin McCahill View Post
I have mojor impingement in my left shoulder due to imbalances and major forward rotation. (poor posture, tight pecs, overdeveloped traps...etc.) Been to PT, foam and lax ball rolling like crazy with no substantial relief.

Yesterday I reversed and widened my grip and did some chin ups. It felt great so used DB's and did reverse grip presses.

I've heard of neutral presses but I'm talking about almost a full twist of the grip (palms facing me during the press)...it is tricky but it clears me of my impingement.

Anyone ever do this?

Thanks!
I'll mix in arnold presses occassionally as a change up/assistance movement for press. With those, you start with a supinated grip, then rotate to a pronated grip at the top. By keeping an inside grip through out the whole motion, I would guess that would put a bigger emphasis on the front delt and minimize your tricep? That might make your problem worse. Maybe focus on the rear delt more in your training to correct the imbalances?