CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 07-20-2008, 11:46 AM   #1
Erin Haugen

Profile:
Post Pregnancy newbie!

Hi everyone!

Well i'm excited to be here. I'm a Canadian who lives in Norway, and had never heard of Crossfit before a few weeks ago...there's only one crossfit centre in Norway so far, and its wayyy up north...

So here's my situation:

I'm 12 weeks post-partum, and unfortunately i was not able to excercise the last half of my pregnancy due to the joints in my pelvis loosening too much and causing major pain (i had to walk with crutches sometimes). However, the birth went well and i have a beautiful daughter.

I was lucky and didn't gain too much weight with the pregnancy, but of course now have a few pounds i'd like to lose, but mostly i'd like to just be able to get my strength and fitness back! And i'm thinking i'd really like to do this via crossfit, but since there are no centres near here i'll be doing a lot of it on my own, at the gym where i work.

So i was just hoping that maybe some of you might have some good tips for me getting started?
Old 07-20-2008, 12:42 PM   #2
Chantal Brien

Profile:
Re: Post Pregnancy newbie!

from a fellow Canadian woman and congrats on your new little girl. I also train at a non-CrossFit gym and it's quite feasible. I started off using the scaled workouts from BrandX (the link is under the start here banner) and took everything very slowly as I got comfortable with technique. If at all possible, I reccomend a visit to the closest affiliate as soon as you are able. There is no substitute for quality coaching when it comes to learning many of these movements. However, if that's not possible, you can also get coaching on some of the lifts from a local trainer or submit videos of yourself to the digital coaching section and get information from the boards. searching can turn up the answer to almost every beginner question that isn't in the FAQs; there's a wealth of accumulated knowledge on these boards. The FAQs has a list of common substitutions as well - if your gym isn't a CrossFit facility they aren't likely to have some of the more unusual equipment that comes up from time to time. Also be sure to read the what is CrossFit? information, it explains a lot about the program. Finally, I would highly recommend starting a workout log and hitting up the Girl Power thread; both those things have been invaluable motivators for me as I worked out alone. If you have any particular goals, for example "I want to do x number of pushups/pullups/____ by a ___ date, you can a lot of helpful advice from the Girl Power thread. Good Luck and happy CrossFitting!
Old 07-20-2008, 03:14 PM   #3
David Wood

Profile:

Erin, welcome!

You might want to check out some of Sakuro Kawano's posts:

http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=33619

and her workout log:

http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=25207

for ideas and an amazing example! (both links safe for work and family)
Old 07-20-2008, 10:52 PM   #4
Erin Haugen

Profile:

Awesome! Thanks for the tips! Exactly what i was looking for to get started!
I'm visiting Canada soon and have arranged to train at a Crossfit centre there, so i'll definitely get some proper coaching
Old 07-22-2008, 06:48 AM   #5
Frank DiMeo

Profile:

Hi Erin--
Congratulations on your new baby.
I've been working with a gal who has had 4 children so far and is now carrying number 5 ( I think she is in her 14th or 15th week).
We call her Super Mom, for obvious reasons. She is a dedicated CFer and we have numerous videos of her workouts on my website's "Workout Videos" page ws/fs
Old 07-22-2008, 07:12 AM   #6
Erin Haugen

Profile:

Thanks Frank! I'll go check those out! This is such a great place for info and help! Awesome community here
Old 07-22-2008, 07:53 AM   #7
Colleen Quigley

Profile:

Congrats on the baby and give yourself some time to lose the weight! Took me about a year to get back to my pre preggo pants. (I did put on a lot of weight...)

Did see the best results with CF! Think about starting a log, helps to stay consistent.
Old 07-22-2008, 11:27 AM   #8
Erin Haugen

Profile:

Yes, i agree-consistency is key I'm lucky in that i work at a gym (as a trainer and yoga/pilates teacher) so at least i have access to gym-space and inspiration! But I really like that i can do a lot of the crossfit stuff at home after the baby goes to bed, as some days i will not have time at work for my own workouts!
I was lucky and didn't gain that much weight(even though baby was 10lbs!!!)
-i can wear my pre-pregnancy pants, i just need to get rid of the extra jiggle i still have on my belly/sides
I'm so inspired by all you crossfit ladies!